Week 1 of eating "clean" & exercise

Options
By eating clean I mean things that are not processed and preparing my meals from scratch. Training sessions 2x week & cardio 4x week. Down 5 lbs and 3 inches since Feb 1st. Super proud of myself as I'm a picky eater who used to binge eat out of boredom. Only one week in but many more to go.

Replies

• cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I find that just from preparing meals at home and not eating out, I can easily make healthier food choices. What type of training sessions are you doing? I'm trying to change up my workout routine these days. Thinking about trying to take barre classes for strength training!
  • DoubleTheLove
    DoubleTheLove Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have a trainer so I'm not 100% sure what you would call it. Haha!! It's cardio & strength training all in one.. like circuits for 50 minutes. Doesn't look like much but man does it beat me out! Things that I would have never thought of doing on my own.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Congrats! The first couple of weeks of menu and prepping are hard, it gets easier. Stick with it!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Someone will chime in I'm sure but eating "clean" means absolutely nothing at all. You can eat complete crap and still lose weight. It's ultimately all about how many calories you take in.

I eat packaged foods every day - it's not ALL of my diet, obviously, but I don't have time to grow my own food, milk the cows, slop the hogs, etc., so I do eat packaged and processed food sometimes, and I've still lost 50+.

So "clean" is great and all but it's the amount of calories that will make or break you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Someone will chime in I'm sure but eating "clean" means absolutely nothing at all. You can eat complete crap and still lose weight. It's ultimately all about how many calories you take in.

however the OP defined what clean meant to her...which is good - its not that we rail against clean eating, but rather that there is a hugely diverse definition associated with it
  • DoubleTheLove
    DoubleTheLove Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I understand that. My intention is to do a full overhaul on my diet. I need it. I want to be healthier not just smaller. While I realize a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from, I'd rather if those calories also came with nutrition. I was a big "eat out of a box" person so I absolutely need this overhaul. While I failed many times before at losing weight I'm aiming for health first and the weight loss will follow.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I understand that. My intention is to do a full overhaul on my diet. I need it. I want to be healthier not just smaller. While I realize a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from, I'd rather if those calories also came with nutrition. I was a big "eat out of a box" person so I absolutely need this overhaul. While I failed many times before at losing weight I'm aiming for health first and the weight loss will follow.

Good for you! Your weight might be more about calories in and calories out, but your overall health is not solely dependent on that. There are lots of studies out there associating added sugars and added sodium (most of which are found in processed foods) to chronic diseases. Something could be low in calories but still be full of things that are awful for your body. I'm not saying all pre-packaged foods are bad because there are lots of good options out there, but eating food in its natural form is also a good way to avoid them.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to do this! You should already be so proud for what you've done so far. Think how awesome you will feel 2 months from now if you keep going!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    By eating clean I mean things that are not processed and preparing my meals from scratch. Training sessions 2x week & cardio 4x week. Down 5 lbs and 3 inches since Feb 1st. Super proud of myself as I'm a picky eater who used to binge eat out of boredom. Only one week in but many more to go.

Congrats! Keep going forward!