Eating back calories?

Options
I'm a 5 ft 10 woman, 224lb. I've set mfp to sedentary, and it's gave me a calorie allowance of 1300 it seems quite low but doable. I don't exercise all that much but I've purchased a fitness tracker for steps and I do the c25k app three times a week. Do I or don't I eat back my calories from this ive seen some people saying they don't? Please can someone advise me, I really want to stick at this, this time round.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It will vary person to person based on a number of factors, but generally speaking, eating back half is a good place to start.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    When I eat back my calories from exercise I don't lose weight. I have a fit gear that tracks and now I don't even list my exercise on here anymore.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I always ate every delicious exercise calorie, and all I used was the MyFitnessPal calculations. It worked fine until I got closer to my goal weight. The advice you read is often focused toward people with not a lot of weight to lose.

When you have a lot of weight to lose, it is easy to lose but difficult to stay at 1300 calories, so those extra calories from exercise are crucial in my opinion. You have a lot of room for calculation errors when you are at a high weight, and you will still lose. I say enjoy it while you can.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Generally, endurance athletes seem to eat back exercise calories more than other people because they really are exercising intensely enough to get away with it.
    People who lift heavy may "eat back" because they want to gain weight.

If you are not an endurance athlete or into weight lifting and trying to bulk then you do not need to eat back calories and so you probably should not eat back ANY.
    You have no real indicator of how many exercise calories you are truly burning so how much do you eat back? Hmmm....

What is the point of exercising to burn MORE calories if you insist on eating them back?
    It is often a way for people to rationalize eating more than they should.

If you insist on eating back your "exercise" then you should not go over 25% to 50%.

Many people think they are exercising much harder than they really are and sabotage their "weight loss" results.
  • rainbowyeager
    rainbowyeager Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this myself. I want to feel full and satisfied so that I don't binge, but on days when I workout I am a lot hungrier. Having those extra calories added to my allowance is just so tempting.... I worry though that I am simply working out so that I can eat more. I chose the semi active option and get closer to 1500 calories which helps. I tried inactive but could not stick to the calorie restriction and found myself so frustrated that I would give up for months at a time. I work a desk job too but I now am experimenting with taking a 5 minute walk up and down the stairs once an hour so I think that helps too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie target to lose weight that assumes ZERO exercise...common sense would dictate that additional activity beyond your established activity level should be accounted for somewhere...with MFP, that somewhere is when you do it, log it, and get calories to "eat back"...

The difficulty comes in accurately measuring energy expenditure...you can't take the burns MFP gives you from the database as some kind of gospel. There are numerous ways of going about verifying with some degree of accuracy your energy expenditure, but you can't just take a database as gospel.

Fueling your fitness is important...failure to fuel your fitness will ultimately impede fitness performance, hamper recovery, and impede fitness development.

I'll give you my numbers as an example...to lose about 1 Lb per week MFP will give me 1900 calories...so MFP is estimating my NON EXERCISE maintenance to be around 2,400 calories. I cycle a lot and generally burn in the neighborhood of 600 calories in an hour of cycling...I can eat those calories and still lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2,500 calories because with exercise, my maintenance is 2,400 + 600 = 3,000 calories and 3,000 - 2,500 = 500 calorie deficit.

On Sunday I'm going for a 30 mile ride...I will burn in the neighborhood of 1,200 calories...if I didn't account for that, I'd be providing my body with insufficient energy because 1,900 - 1,200 = 700 calories for my body to perform general functions and to go about my day to day stuff...that would be no bueno and very unhealthy.

You also have to ultimately consider what you're doing...the more intense the exercise is, the more it is going to break down the body requiring energy (calories) for repair...longer duration endurance exercise also requires a considerable amount of energy.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1300 is doable, but is it sustainable? I started at 1200 and did that for 6 months, but I did eat back some, not all of my exercise calories. I dropped the weight I wanted to lose then went on to lose another 15 pounds with the OK from my doctor. I found it more difficult as time went on the stick to the 1200, especially on days I didn't do any exercise. Rather than worry about the exact numbers I upped my exercise and ate back more of those calories. Lots of people don't eat back their exercise calories, but that's not how this program is designed. Just remember that all these numbers are estimates and it's up to you to adjust according to how it's working for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    that seems really low for your height and weight.

im 5'1, 180 and eat around 14-1500 and lose consistently

anyways, sometimes i eat them back, sometimes i dont. really depends on how hungry i think i am lol i rarely eat back more than half, but it happens sometimes (actually pretty sure its going to happen today since ive already gone through all my food for the day, save for dinner LOLOLOL )
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1300 for someone who is 5'10" is very low. Did you also set it to lose 2lbs a week?

I am 5'8.5" and aim for 1800 and eat most of my exercise calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Generally, endurance athletes seem to eat back exercise calories more than other people because they really are exercising intensely enough to get away with it.

If you are not an endurance athlete or into weight lifting and trying to bulk then you do not need to eat back calories and so you probably should not eat back ANY.
    You have no real indicator of how many exercise calories you are truly burning so how much do you eat back? Hmmm....

What is the point of exercising to burn MORE calories if you insist on eating them back?

If you insist on eating back your "exercise" then you should not go over 25% to 50%.

Many people think they are exercising much harder than they really are and sabotage their "weight loss" results.

This is not how MFP is intended to be used. I am not an endurance athlete or into weight lifting - my exercise is walking (usually about 15K steps/day) and light circuit training a few times a week. My exercise adjustments are around 300-400 cals. I eat them back now in maintenance, and did so when I was losing as well. I lost weight at the rate that I wanted BECAUSE I was using the system as it was designed. If I hadn't eaten back those exercise calories, I would have created an additional deficit above the one that MFP set for me and above what would have been healthy for me.

The exercise estimates were always accurate for me, but I do often recommend some people start with only eating back about 50% of their calories until they know for sure if the calorie estimates are inflated.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The exercise estimates were always accurate for me, but I do often recommend some people start with only eating back about 50% of their calories until they know for sure if the calorie estimates are inflated.
    Congratulations. You are a rare case.

I use the system as *I* intend and meet my goals as well. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

People exercise for lots of different reasons -- improved fitness, a more mobile old age, it can be a great way to socialize, you can model activity for children in your life, improved health, better mood, better sleep, sometimes even appetite control.

Asking what's the point of exercising if one decides to fuel one's activity seems to miss the point.

All our calorie intake/outtake numbers are just estimates. Would you say that since we can never know precisely how much we're eating, we shouldn't bother logging?

If people have bad results because they over-estimate their burn, then they can adjust based on their real world results. That isn't a reason to completely give up on fueling one's activity.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Congratulations. You are a rare case.

I use the system as *I* intend and meet my goals as well. ;)

No she isn't. Do you understand how this site works? I think probably not.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options

People exercise for lots of different reasons -- improved fitness, a more mobile old age, it can be a great way to socialize, you can model activity for children in your life, improved health, better mood, better sleep, sometimes even appetite control.

Asking what's the point of exercising if one decides to fuel one's activity seems to miss the point.

All our calorie intake/outtake numbers are just estimates. Would you say that since we can never know precisely how much we're eating, we shouldn't bother logging?

If people have bad results because they over-estimate their burn, then they can adjust based on their real world results. That isn't a reason to completely give up on fueling one's activity.
    You misquoted me there and so you changed the point entirely.

To the OP, see? Here is why you are confused.

Educate yourself, try it both ways and see what works for you.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I wore a HRM while losing my 100 pounds and ate back.every.single.one. It was the only reason I started walking in the beginning. Now I walk everywhere, dont really count those as exercise anymore. Still eat back whats burned if its a specific exercise. Just another opinion in a sea of them.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    She isn't a rare case? Really?
    Then why do many people on these boards complain that it is "not working for them" in some form or another?
    Are they are are they not "using it properly"?

Irrelevant. I'm out. Good luck OP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    She isn't a rare case? Really?
    Then why do many people on these boards complain that it is "not working for them" in some form or another?
    Are they are are they not "using it properly"?

Irrelevant. I'm out. Good luck OP.

I would say that the vast majority of veterans on this site have used MFP as intended and eaten back exercise calories to account for that activity...

There are so many people on these boards complaining that it doesn't work because they likely aren't logging correctly and they're likely overestimating energy expenditure. A lot of people are really just *kitten* at all of this...it doesn't mean it doesn't work...you just have to be accurate with what you're doing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Fitness, strength, scenery, camaraderie, the joy of being outdoors, doing something you love, competition, fun, endorphins (like "runner's high"), the ability to play with toys (new jacket, GPS, navigation app, etc), photography, transpiration, finding pokemon or geocaches, exploring a new area, beating cabin fever, earning a nice snack. None of that suffers in any way because you balance your eating with your activity.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There are so many people on these boards complaining that it doesn't work because they likely aren't logging correctly and they're likely overestimating energy expenditure. A lot of people are really just *kitten* at all of this...it doesn't mean it doesn't work...you just have to be accurate with what you're doing.
    You just made my point for me.

"My way" helps to account for that. The "official" way does not.

I'm going to lunch...

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Huh? I have a power meter on my bike. It measures how much physical work I do, and the rate I preform the work at (aka my power output). From kiloJules come kiloCalories. Maximum error is 2 %.