intermittent fasting + net 1200, still not losing.

Options
Hi - I have about 8 lbs to lose after a pregnancy (that ended in stillbirth, so then I ate a lot because I was sad).

I have been eating net 1200 calories (I'm quite a small woman - 5'1" with a small frame) for at least a month now, with net 990 in the past week. My maintenance calories is 1450. I measure everything I eat.

I've also been doing intermittent fasting to help me reduce my calories for about 2 weeks. I don't eat a ton of junk food (just a bit of dark chocolate most days, a baked good every now and then), and no soda or anything.

Not only am I not losing, I am GAINING weight. Just a .2 lbs here and there, but my pants are getting tighter instead of less.

Anyone have ideas why this would be happening? I'm so frustrated!

Replies

• ashleymariecadaret
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Your logging may be causing issues (usually the prime culprit).

Just opened it - thanks for responding! I'm trying to be patient with my body. :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine how devastating that is.

looking at your diary I can't see any obvious problems, and yep, it looks like your hitting around 1200 each day with no obvious logging errors that jumped out at me. Exercise cals look OK also.

So, in this instance I'm going to suggest that the recent stressful event is playing a part in this. if that is the case, how to tackle it is a difficult situation but I would, as a starter recommend:
    • Aiming to maintain weight within a 1-2 lb margin for a period of time, during which you...
    • Concentrate on making a performance improvement in a chosen sport or pastime (running, yoga, whatever floats your boat)
    • Get plenty of sleep

Sorry I couldn't offer more concrete advice.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm so so sorry for your loss. If I may ask, how long ago was it? I only ask because if it was recent, your body may still be healing.
  • ashleymariecadaret
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I'm so so sorry for your loss. If I may ask, how long ago was it? I only ask because if it was recent, your body may still be healing.

Almost 3 months ago, and I was only pregnant for 5 months, so I should be recovered, I think?
  • ashleymariecadaret
    Options
    So, in this instance I'm going to suggest that the recent stressful event is playing a part in this. if that is the case, how to tackle it is a difficult situation but I would, as a starter recommend:
    • Aiming to maintain weight within a 1-2 lb margin for a period of time, during which you...
    • Concentrate on making a performance improvement in a chosen sport or pastime (running, yoga, whatever floats your boat)
    • Get plenty of sleep

Sorry I couldn't offer more concrete advice.

That's actually really helpful. Instead of obsessing over what the heck is going on with my body (and feeling mad at it for not doing what I want it to do AGAIN, training for a half marathon or something would be a better focus of my energy. Thank you! It was a good reminder. :)
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You might need to adjust your macros a bit, more protein less carbs. I'm by no means expert but I'm petite like you and a high protein diet really works for me. And I am sorry for your loss.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Almost 3 months ago, and I was only pregnant for 5 months, so I should be recovered, I think?

Healed, probably, but you may be going through some hormonal shifts from the pregnancy still. It's hard to say, but you're right when you said you need to be patient with your body. It's been through a lot lately. Good luck to you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    taking a look at your diary - one of my comments would be you use a lot of TSP/TBSP/cup measurements - if you can get your hands on a digital scale and start weighing food that will help
  • ashleymariecadaret
    Options
    taking a look at your diary - one of my comments would be you use a lot of TSP/TBSP/cup measurements - if you can get your hands on a digital scale and start weighing food that will help

Thanks! I have a digital scale - just need to use it. :)
  • ashleymariecadaret
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss.

As a woman who has gone through the exact same thing... I agree with VintageFeline. And if your only idea of losing weight is to consume less, I suggest you add at least some brisk walking into your routine.

Good Luck.

I'm also running about 3 days a week - on the last week of C25K. :) And walking (slowly - treadmill desk) every day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

yes! go by the g/oz weight that is provided on the packet - it will help
  • ashleymariecadaret
    Options

yes! go by the g/oz weight that is provided on the packet - it will help

Okay, cool - didn't know that! Will try.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This advice is best - a digital scale will give you more accuracy. Because you don't have a lot to lose, every bit counts.