Which one is healthy, nan bread, rice or pasta?

Options
Im in dilemma , which of these food are healthy ? I am trying to loose weight . Peace

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Yep ... I'd go with whichever fit within my calorie limit that day. And it might be different the next day.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Variety is good, generally its the balance over all which is the decider on the day. Keep to calories but ensure you are good on the food groups too. That is more than enough to consider as you are starting out.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bread and pasta can vary greatly. Read the ingredient list.

Rice is the bee's knees. Over a billion Asians would agree.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    All of them are healthy foods.
    All can be fitted into a sensible calorie controlled diet.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yes. To all. You can eat any of them and lose weight, just be sensible about it. I :heart: rice most of all though.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call any of them "healthy". Maybe the rice, if it's brown rice. Pasta is great, for runners or cyclists before a long race. Otherwise, I would pass. Definitely not the bread.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Any of them. It's all about balance, taste and fitting them into your calorie goal.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think pasta has the lowest GI.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation--I eat all of the above, plus lots of tortillas. Make sure they fit your calories and macros, and you'll have no problem losing weight with any of them.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call any of them "healthy". Maybe the rice, if it's brown rice. Pasta is great, for runners or cyclists before a long race. Otherwise, I would pass. Definitely not the bread.

Why?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Oh my, I eat pasta at least twice a week if not more. Bread every single morning. I am not a runner or cyclist. Am I doomed? :o
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Whatever you prefer, really.

One thing to consider is that rice and pasta are high carb/low fat while at least the naan I've eaten from restaurants usually has a fair bit of butter, so it will be higher in fat. I'm not placing any value judgement on that fact, so use it as you wish :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Which ones do you like? Pick that one.

Honestly my thoughts are...

If you like brown rice...eat it. If you prefer white rice...eat that one.

The same goes with pasta and bread. Just pick the foods that you like. You can lose weight eating any of it.

The only problem that I see is that they are all calorie dense foods so to make them fit your calorie deficit you might not be able to eat as much as you like.

I cut back on the amount of rice and pasta that I serve by bulking them up with cut up vegetables and that allows me to have rice and pasta more often.

As far as bread goes...I have a yeast intolerance so I have had to cut way back on the amount that I eat. I still eat it from time to time but not as often and in smaller quantities.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    None of them... or all of them. In general if you are eating a well-balanced diet, then whatever you fit in that diet would be considered healthy for you. But if you go to the doctor, and they say you have a medical condition, and have to cut something out, it's not my fault, just stating generalities. And you are in INDIVIDUAL that gets to decide what you want.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Oh my, I eat pasta at least twice a week if not more. Bread every single morning. I am not a runner or cyclist. Am I doomed? :o

Um, yeah of course. Chances are you'll start walking, and won't be able to stop until those carbs are burned off. You might even inadvertently hop on a strangers bike, and ride around town. Please BECAREFUL!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    "Healthy" is relative to the context of your diet as a whole. I eat bread...I eat pasta...I eat rice...I eat these things in appropriate portions...they're just carbohydrates...nothing inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy" about any of them

All of this.