Getting visible abs

Options
I started out as an overweight 28 year old last September. At 5'7" I was 86.2kg. Im now down to 69.4kg and feeling much fitter.

I still have some fat around my stomach but on occasion I can get small glimpses of the goal with my upper abs showing slightly. I combine weight training and cardio alongside a complete diet change. My question is do I just keep doing as I am until the remaining fat is gone or do I try and build a bit of muscle as well? I wouldn't say I was small but my legs shoulders and arms have decent tone already. I'm not really wanting to get big just very lean. I'm thinking if I get to about 63kg then my goal would be pretty much complete. Does that seem like an acceptable weight?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That is a healthy weight for your height but it may or may not mean you have visible abs. Having visible abs means being lean enough for ab muscle to show, having enough ab muscle that it can show, and then there's a bit of genetics involved as well. You can only really control the first two things from that list. I would suggest training your core along with the other resistance exercise that you are doing as you continue to lean out. Once you get to 63 kg, you will be better able to decide if you are satisfied with what you see or not.
  • dazsco
    dazsco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeh that's what I sort of thought but wasn't sure if going down to 63kg would be too much. Can only wait and see I guess
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    At 28 if you are not grossly overweight, you should see those abs soon. Keep going with what you are doing. At my age-3 kids...I'll probably always have that extra "skin" unless I have it surgically removed.
    Maybe I'll just paint on those abs....:)