What can i eat

Can you eat whatever you want in the day aslong as its in your calorie limit? Can you go over your fat limit have calories left and still loose weight? Ok so im 11 stone 9 and 5 ft 3 i think and on a 1 pound a week weight loss im on benifits and have a child so i cannot buy luxury healthy food ok i can have eggs but i have started to go off them and dont like them much anymore i lost 4 pounds eating eggs too one time i just dont enjoy them so bassicly all i can eat mostly is chicken breaded steaks, nuggets, dippers, chips, burger, sausages, turkey dinosours, bassicly all the cheap food in iceland and farmfoods can i still loose weight as long as there in my calorie limit? Also i have chicken curry, a roast , cottage pie and beef stews thanks any advice would be great and i workout everyday also i started 2 weeks ago and havent lost anything yet

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit and you don't have allergies, you can eat what you please.
  • ashley9139
    ashley9139 Posts: 30 Member
    So because i havent lost anything yet im worried im doing somthing wrong as im ment to be loosing 1 pound a week lol x
  • ashley9139
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit and you don't have allergies, you can eat what you please.

Ive been told this calorie defict a millions times what it means but i still dont know what it means haah
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    How much you eat determines weight loss/gain.

What you eat *can* impact overall health, body composition, energy levels, long term consistency/success, etc.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    calorie defict...eat less than you burn

ie. if during the course of a day you burn 1800 calories, then if you eat 1700 - you have a deficit of 100calories - which will help you to lose weight
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    ashley9139 wrote: »

Ive been told this calorie defict a millions times what it means but i still dont know what it means haah

Calorie deficit means you burn more calories than you consume... less coming in compared to going out = a deficit of calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    ive had a meatball sandwich (homemade not subway crap) 3 days in a row this week. (2 lunches, one dinner). still lost weight ;)

as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose.

the only way to know that though, is through ACCURATE food tracking
  • ashley9139

ie. if during the course of a day you burn 1800 calories, then if you eat 1700 - you have a deficit of 100calories - which will help you to lose weight

Ok so my goal is to eat 1.330 calories a day so i need to burn 1.330 calories in a whole day how the hell can you burn 1.330 calories how many hours working out is that?
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Yes you'll still lose weight so long as you're burning more than you're eating. However, I would say you can eat healthily and it be a lot cheaper than frozen stuff. You can buy a big bag of lentils, which lasts ages, some carrots and make up a big pot of soup. Or buy some tinned tomatoes, garlic and onion and make your own tomato sauce for pasta, lasagna, chilli etc and freeze the left overs. My boyfriend and I are both full time students and like to go on holiday often so don't spend a lot of money on food but we don't often buy frozen nuggets and burgers etc (one vegetarian, one meat-eater) as they're a lot more expensive than cooking from scratch ourselves. xx
  • brittlynne90
    brittlynne90 Posts: 4 Member
    Your body probably burns more calories than that just by being alive. You don't have to workout to burn those calories.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member

Ok so my goal is to eat 1.330 calories a day so i need to burn 1.330 calories in a whole day how the hell can you burn 1.330 calories how many hours working out is that?

You'll burn far more than that just living, without intentional exercise. The number Calories MFP gives you a day doesn't include exercise, if you do exercise then you need to eat back some/all of the Calories burnt in addition to your bare minimum.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member

Your body will burn 1330 calories per day just being alive. You don't need to burn those calories with additional exercise. You should eat 1330 calories then if you exercise you can eat some of those calories back. Buy a food scale and weigh all your foods to make sure that you have a somewhat accurate count of what your intake is, other wise it's just guesswork and that doesn't work for most people.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Most of the items you listed are fairly calorie dense. Is it possible that the package stated weight per serving is not accurate to the weight of the actual serving? Yesterday I had a wafer bar. The stated weight for the bar was 30 grams, but when I weighed it it was 38 grams or more than 1.25 of what it should be. Being a calorie dense item, those 8 grams made a difference of nearly 50 calories. You should be really careful with the portions of high fat items because any errors could lead to significant discrepancies. Also, are you logging the frying oil you are using to fry these items?

One more thing comes to mind: these are mostly high sodium items so water weight may have something to do with it too. Log accurately and give it time. You will see progress in the next few weeks.
  • ashley9139
    Ahh ok sorry i am really dumb i havent a clue what im doing or if anyone tells me things i dont get exsaccially what to do i need a professional or somthing to drill things in my head and show me everything i need to do ill never loose weight everything i try or do i never loose weight so im doing everything wrong
  • ashley9139
    But everyone i speak to on here knows everything and are loosing weight i just dont know
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017

Your body is burning calories 24/7. Heart, lungs, brain....they all use calories to function. You can lose weight without exercise, but the more active you are the more you can eat....and still lose.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    I dislike most veggies and fruits, so I got to goal weight eating a lot of pizza/burgers/tacos/frozen chicken products/etc. As long as I stayed under calorie goal the scale went down. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I focus first and foremost on my calorie goals and staying at or slightly under them. I aim to have a balance of other nutrients. For example, I noticed if I hit my fiber goal (just the default one set by MFP), I feel more full, so I work pretty hard to eat foods that help hit that goal.

Taking a daily vitamin also helps with other things like calcium and iron which may be hard to hit with diet alone.

I don't worry too much about things like sodium or cholesterol or anything like that.

While I do eat quite a bit of "healthy" foods like fruits and veggies, I eat my fair share of delicious carbs and burgers and chips and popcorn, and pizza.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    I believe the reason you have not lost weight yet is that you are eating more calories than you think. If you look at the serving size on the box that the chicken breaded steaks or turkey dinosaurs come in, you will see in parenthesis how many grams one serving size is. Unless you have a food scale and weigh what you eat, you will not know how many calories you are actually eating. If a serving size is 60 grams and your food weighs 90 grams, you would figure out your serving size by taking what you are weighing and dividing it by the serving size. That would be 90/60=1.5 If there are 200 calories per serving you would be eating 200*1.5=300 calories. Just about everything we eat has calories: mayo, ketchup, butter, fruit, and vegetables. If you fry your food, the oil you use also has calories. To find out how much you're using you need to weigh the nuggets or steaks before and after frying. Anything breaded tends to have higher calories because of the oil used to keep the breading on the meat.

Almost everything you drink also needs to be measured, but not on a scale. 8 ounces of orange juice is only a cup but has around 110 calories. Since different liquids weigh more or less than water you need to measure them in measuring cups. If you have a favorite glass to drink from, measure one cup of water into it then put a piece of tape or use a permanent marker to mark the one cup mark. This way you won't have to dirty extra dishes.

If your goal is to eat 1330 calories, that is what you eat before exercising. You do not need to burn 1330 calories exercising to lose weight because you burn those calories just by breathing and staying alive each day. If you exercise and burn 300 calories by walking extra or jogging, you can eat that many more calories and still lose weight.

Don't give up and keep looking for answers. If we knew all this or were taught it in school, we would never have become overweight to begin with.