I am New to this!

Options
Hey there can people add me im very new to this. Looking to lose fat and get strong. Cutting calories only. Not fussed at all if i dont hit my macros. Need friends for motivation and support!!

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Looking to lose fat and get strong. Cutting calories only.
    Cannot be done sir.

You will not "get strong" if you are "cutting calories only". It doesn't work that way.
    To "get strong" you must be moving progressively heavier things.

Now what to lift, how often, and what you should / should not be eating while weight lifting is a whole different set of discussions.

I accepted your invitation since I could at least find a post from you here. Normally I would have ignored it.
    It is usually better if you include a note with your invite about what threads you were reading, etc. when you ran across someone's profile.

A lot of the more serious people here do not blindly accept invites. This isn't facebook or something. ;)

Another thing to remember is that you will need to keep yourself motivated.
    All of the "friends" in the world cannot make this happen for you.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    EDIT: To "get strong" you must be moving heavy things in a progressive manner.

That can include certain body weight exercises when done correctly.
  • FitOneSoon
    FitOneSoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I agree, by only cutting calories you will lose weight, but to get strong you must weight train. Weight training will also help you to burn fat more efficiently.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree - if it is weight loss your want, then cut the calories and control your diet. But if your looking to tone or strengthen, then you must have some sort of workout to go along with the dieting. This does not mean you must join a gym and lift five days a week - but as cq said - you must do something in addition to cutting the calories. This can be done at home or at a gym. You need not lift weights, but you must have a way to "guage" your training to ensure you are increasing.

For example - if you bowl and have a 14 pound ball, you could use this and workout an exercise plan with it. But, you must be able to adjust by either increasing reps or weight. However, if you are truly serious about strength training, your best bet is still to find a gym and try to workout a regular routine.
  • xxxglaxxx
    xxxglaxxx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me so we can help, motivate and support each other :)
  • junelove89
    junelove89 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the mfp family!