Watches

Options
Looking to get a multi sport watch. Looked at other forums but they seemed old. Wanted to see what people suggest.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I love my Fenix 3, but I'm going to sell it as soon as the F5X is available.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree the fenix 3 is amazing.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    After tons of research, I'm buying a Vivoactive HR this weekend. It will be my first sport watch since the Suunto. It seems to be the best for my needs, I hope that's the case. The map abilities on the Fenix series is intriguing, but not hundreds of dollars intriguing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    After tons of research, I'm buying a Vivoactive HR this weekend. It will be my first sport watch since the Suunto. It seems to be the best for my needs, I hope that's the case. The map abilities on the Fenix series is intriguing, but not hundreds of dollars intriguing.

They are pretty amazing, but overkill for my needs as well. I have the forerunner 235 and my boyfriend got the fenix 3. Unless you're going camping and out in the wilderness and things. IMO - atleast for a casual person who exercises, it's overkill.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Look at the Polar M400. It's a combo HRM, activity tracker, and GPS with several sports profiles. You can download the info onto the polar flow website and it will give you detailed reports on a daily weekly or monthly basis. You can also link it to MFP. It does require the use of a chest strap if you want to measure your heart rate and accurately estimate your calories burned through exercise. It lists for $225 but is available at a discount (150) if you look on the web rather buy direct from Polar. The only drawback is that while they label it waterproof it is really only water resistant. I killed my first one while wearing it in the ocean while body surfing and got saltwater inside. I wear my new one in the shower but avoid immersing it fully in water
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What do you want to use it for? What features do you need? Swim metrics? Quick disconnect? Customizable screens? Do you care about aesthetics (*cough 920xt cough*)?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivoactive. I don't have the HR version, I just use my chest strap and transmitter when I'm actively working out. Otherwise, I don't need to see my HR at all times. It does everything I need it to do, has GPS, bluetooth notificaitons from my phone, I can wear it in the pool, customizable watchface/apps, it syncs to MFP, it's decent to look at and a slim profile (the other reason I didn't feel the need for the HR version, it just looks so bulky to me), counts my steps, tracks my sleep, I like the Garmin Connect interface, and it syncs to Strava where I track all my running.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have been eyeing the fenix for myself...would love to be able to put on basemaps (and track larger variety of activities without having to correct activity type on sites later). (I bought my 920XT only a few months before they came out with the Fenix thereby merging the running & outdoor features finally into a single watch).
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »

I've had the VA HR since it came out. I find it does everything that I want it to do. Really like it. Works great for lap swimming metrics, biking, running, step counting, etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Looking to get a multi sport watch. Looked at other forums but they seemed old. Wanted to see what people suggest.

What do you want to gain from it, what sort of sports are you on about and what's your price point?

Otherwise you're just going to get a random list of things that other people have.

Do you mean something that you can use for transition events; Triathlon etc? What sort of battery life do you need?
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The hard thing about asking "what features do you need?" Is that we often can't anticipate the need for features that don't exist yet. My best example is Shazam. When I got my first smartphone, I never in a million years would have imagined I could push a button and identify the name and artist of any song I hear anywhere. But it's turned out to be amazing and I use it all the time. Similarly, Garmin has "live tracking", a feature I wasn't aware of before getting one. My bf can automatically be emailed when I start my commute home so he can anticipate when I'll get there. It also sends him a GPS map (albeit delayed) which will hopefully ease his worry that I died when I'm on a long bike ride.
    So far, the Vivoactive HR has been really fun. It's only been one full day and I've had some Bluetooth connectivity issues, but I anticipate ironing those out eventually and it being a great watch.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    On features:
    • Do you want it to show a map?
    • Do you want to be able to preload a course to follow while running/cycling?
    • Do you want to be able to upload detailed training intervals?
    • Required battery life?
    • Activities you would want included as options?
    • Detailed running dynamics (vertical oscillation, etc)?
    • Connectable to cycling sensors (cadence, power)?
    • Elevation profile graph of preloaded course viewable while cycling course?
    And how much $$ would said features be worth to you?
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Probably a Forerunner 735. Maybe a Suunto Ambit3

The FR 735 is smaller and cheaper than the Fenix 3 or 5 - it's not quite as waterproof (50m vs. 100m), has a smaller battery (14hr vs. 50hr), and has a worse barometer (GPS based vs. barometric).
    I discounted anything that does not have a multisport/transitions mode. If you aren't going to be racing tris/dus/aquabike/etc, I'd suggest something different.