Goal Weight

Options
Hey MFP peeps, how did you decide what your "goal weight" should be? I don't mean technically; I know how to calculate my "goal weight range" using my BMI, etc., but I'm not sure how I should choose my exact goal weight.

In other words, if my goal range is 120-150, should 120 be my goal? Or something in the middle? I originally set my goal weight to 120, but I've been thinking that if that is the minimum that I could weigh and still be healthy (i.e., not under-weight), perhaps my goal should be more like 135 (which is what I weighed in high school when I was active in sports, etc.). Thoughts?

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I first started with a round number to lose (LOL) It put me at 165 because I liked the number. As I've gotten closer I began to look at BMI etc to determine my goal, which is now 159 the VERY top of healthy BMI. I figure after I reach a healthy BMI then the toning and working out are what I will focus on and not the scale (I already focus on working out and toning but you know what I mean).

I know the thinnest I've ever been (with boobs!) is 142 and I don't think I could MAINTAIN that for very long so I picked a more realistic long term maintenance goal for myself.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can always adjust your goal weight. For me, I have never been the weight recommended for my height, age, etc. So I based my primary goal of 180 on the weight I was at in high school and will go from there.

I think it is more about how you feel than about the number on the scale when you start getting close. The scale needs to be just a guide to get us to the place where we're happy.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sorry, double post.
  • janah84
    janah84 Posts: 5
    Options
    You should choose your goal weight based on where you feel comfortable and what you think you can maintain forever.
  • JessiGetFit
    Options
    Thanks ladies! :) I think I'll keep it set at 120 (the min. for my height) and then reevaluate once I've plateaued. I'm guessing that it'll be around 135ish. If realize that I could lose after I plateau, but anything less might not be maintainable. :)
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    I would go by a body fat percentage. If it's around or under 10% then it's awesome!!!
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    I would go by a body fat percentage. If it's around or under 10% then it's awesome!!!

not for women.....
  • JessiGetFit
    Options

Yeah, pretty sure for a women anything under around 20% is underweight, unless she's an bodybuilder, etc. I do agree that it would be best to use body fat to figure out what my goal or "happy" weight is, but idk of a way to do that until I am actually there... :)