HAVE YOU EVER DONE A JUICE FAST

Options
Kcash1996
Kcash1996 Posts: 15 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone tried the jim cross juice reboot? if so for how long? were you successful? how much did you lose?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

I do 5:2 and eat under 600 calories one day (was two but trying to slow loss to .5lb) for the sake of having more calories the rest of the week.
    There's nothing wrong with fasting but it shouldn't be a tool to lose quickly. The goal of a deficit shouldn't be to lose as quickly as possible, but to eat in a way you can sustain.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No, I enjoy food and when I want to lose I simply eat in a deficit.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Once... when I was young and felt the need to torture myself with crazy diet fads for the sake of looking like an unrealistic ideal. I felt terrible the whole time - headache, weakness, nausea, hunger, digestive upset, crankiness... worst thing ever! I gained all the water weight back in record time.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Not for weight loss but I once did a 32 day water only fast. An interesting experience.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Our metabolism doesn't need to a "reboot". Depending on the length of the fast, you'll lose a combination of water weight, lean muscle mass, and some fat. Most who do this end up gaining all of that back, and then some.

There's no sense in wasting money, time or effort on something that won't work. Have patience and stick to your calorie deficit, because that's the only thing that will help you reach your goal weight in the long run.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity I googled the Jim Cross juice reboot.

he was the person featured in the documentary Fat ,Sick, Nearly dead - which has been heavily critiqued on here.

I also notice the fine print says Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition.
    So, not quite sure what the aim is.

I see the photo on the web site features a man putting whole sticks of celery into a blender - that isnt juice, to me. It is possibly a smoothie or soup - which of course is fine as part of a healthy diet. So is juice for that matter - PART.Not your whole diet, even for a short fast.

There were also some recipes featured on the site - so long term they do not expect you to live on juice. At least there is that.
    Some of the recipes look quite tasty - chick pea and sweet potato cacciatore and vegetable frittata for example. Others are just interesting ways to cook individual vegetables - eg roasted whole cauliflower.

If you are interested in low calorie vegetarian recipes (couldn't see any meat or dairy products) then there are 15 pages of them. Free and no downloading required, just read them off the web page.

But give the juice fast a miss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Nope, never tried it. I make it a point to not waste my time (or suffer the misery) on worthless fad diets. Which is exactly what juice fasting is.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Nope? The only thing I do if I feel like it's needed is eat some extra insoluable fibre usually once a week. That does the trick without having to follow a pointless fad
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    In a few weeks I'll be doing a colonoscopy prep, they're a lot alike. For a medically needed test, yes. Anything else no way!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    In a few weeks I'll be doing a colonoscopy prep, they're a lot alike. For a medically needed test, yes. Anything else no way!

Have fun. I just had mine on Thursday. Lost 5 lb. between Monday and Thursday. Expect to regain 4 of those by the time I weigh in again this coming Monday.

Pro Tip: finger jello is actually semi filling on the clear liquids day. I am diabetic so I need to use sugar free. I make mine with 3 packets of unflavored Gelatin, 4 cups water, and 2 packets of crystal light-type drink mix.

• M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I did watch fat, sick and nearly dead. Thought that mans story and weight loss were amazing but I couldn't do more than a day!
    Apparently detox is all a fad. Your body does it anyway
    You would lose weight fast but also gain it just as fast when you started eating again
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have read that fasting can help autoimmune disorders. - I considered trying it (I have ulcerative colitis ) but can't find any actual hard research. Can't see how it helps long term with weight loss.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I juice regularly, but not for "quick" weight loss or fasting. I don't use them to replace meals, but will have them for breakfast with a boiled egg (I sometimes can't eat much early in the AM) or for snacks, along with a handful of nuts. They fill me up, hydrate me, help me poop and make my skin look amazing. I try to juice more veggies than fruit to keep sugar cals down, but I feel they are nicely hydrating and give me lots of nutrient variety that I might not get in my regular diet. It is the ONLY way I will touch beets!

I try to make at least two juices a week from this site:
    https://juicerecipes.com/
    She has lots of great recipes and sorts by health condition or needs. Most of them I make will make enough for 2 or 3 servings.

But no. I don't think juicing should be used as a "quick fix" or a "fast" or "cleanse"
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have read that fasting can help autoimmune disorders. - I considered trying it (I have ulcerative colitis ) but can't find any actual hard research. Can't see how it helps long term with weight loss.

I would think it would make it worse since it stresses the body of what it actually needs....food. Stress is typically at the top if the list for flare ups with autoimmune. Remote stress and autoimmune disease gets better.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Nope ... I've never felt the need to do a juice fast.

In fact, I prefer to avoid drinking my calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Nope. The rationale of drinking my calories instead of eating them never made sense to me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    no. I have teeth and a digestive system for a reason.
This discussion has been closed.