Wine/Beer slowing my weight loss rate?

Options
Since alcohol slows your metabolism ... have any of you who are really watching what you eat notice less weight loss when you have just one glass of wine or one beer?

I haven't indulged in anything for almost three weeks but miss having a glass of red wine. It's not worth it in the least if it's going to slow my current pace of losing. Just wondering what others have noticed When they drink lightly.

Replies

• tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    No. I often have 1 glass a night. Maybe three nights per week I just add it into my calorie allotment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's sort of a misnomer that alcohol slows your metabolism...while alcohol is in your system, your body can only metabolize the alcohol...everything else is on hold. a glass of wine or a beer will be metabolized within about an hour and then your body will resume normal processes...and in the end, it still comes down to your calories.

• majesticdj
    majesticdj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love you both. I'm having a glass this weekend. :p Lol
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    When you drink , do you find yourself making poor choices for food? Poor as in calorie-wise...sometimes when I have too much, I want to eat everything in sight. That would be the only reason for me to nix alcohol when losing weight.

But I generally have a beer or a glass and fit it into my calorie count often.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When you drink , do you find yourself making poor choices for food? Poor as in calorie-wise...sometimes when I have too much, I want to eat everything in sight. That would be the only reason for me to nix alcohol when losing weight.

But I generally have a beer or a glass and fit it into my calorie count often.

Yeah, I was going to say that generally the bigger issue with alcohol consumption is that inhibitions go down and a lot of people just do whatever.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    So I literally work for a brewery, so not drinking just isn't an option for me even if I wanted to cut it out entirely. I think what everyone else has said it pretty spot on- if it fits in your calories it shouldn't slow you down too much. I know some of my weight gain was caused not just by beer, but also by being a little tipsy and then eating everything in sight.

I've cut back my drinking pretty dramatically, and I'm also making sure I have the calories in my day for it. My weight loss has felt slow, but I can feel real progress since cutting back. It's also improved my energy level pretty dramatically, which helps me get myself to the gym more often.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And I can never just stop at one, what's the point. So when I do plan a evening of drinking I make it work and I will also eat like crap that night to so I just deal with it and move in. Happens maybe once or twice a month.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I drank alcohol throughout my weight loss journey.

Not every day and not large amounts.

Anyway, as long as I logged the calories (of course!) and did not eat more food calories as a result of drinking (also of course!) then I found it had no negative effect.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I drink two glasses of wine every night. No problem with it. I log the calories.

When I started my journey, I did eliminate all alcohol for the first 8 months. Hard to do as I am in the wine business and actually went on a wine trip during that time. I just did the taste and spit routine.