Craft Beers

Options
I'm a bit of a beer drinker and the calories are racking up. It seems like the beers I'm drinking are anywhere from 160-200 calories per 12oz bottle. I'm looking for an actual good beer, not something like Michelob Ultra, ick. Does anyone have recommendations for good beers that are lower calorie?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    there is a craft beer group on here.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Light beer isn't good.

So I just restrict my drinking to 1-2 a week, make it the good stuff, and try to exercise my way to a few extra calories that day. I like dark beer, and I don't think there's really such thing as a stout that's less calories than another stout.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    definitely stay away from wheat beers, anything 'weizen' is going to be extra calories. i drink Oskar Blue's Mama's Lil' Yella Pils for 156 calories when i want something tasty, Yuengling isn't bad at 128 and Yuengling lite is 99 and i think tastier than the millers and coors of the world. that being said i drink more miller lite than anything because my best friend keeps a keg of it at all times.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    160 to 200 calories is not bad. Which one are these?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    All of the ones I like are 250-300 calories :(
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Pfffft......there are no calories in craft beer, who told you that? Total Bro-Science. ;)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    sierra nevada is my diet beer. I just can't do the watery light beers. 175 Cal
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yeah my diet is ruined every weekend cause of alcohol it seems like. Plus, alcohol makes me eat more anyway sigh
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    switch the bourbon

i drink 2 glasses of wine most nights, so that works too
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Guinness is 99 calories per 12oz.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    <-- 2016 Dark Lord being consumed

Stick with lighter varieties, like gose, weizen, milk stout, and session IPAs. A good rule of thumb for a 12 oz pour is calories=abv*30.

I budget in a bottle every day. Some days are imperial stouts or DIPAs with 300+ kcal. Those are the best days.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    mattdhall wrote: »
    Guinness is 99 calories per 12oz.

I thought Guinness was 125 cals for 12 oz? Still not bad.

Look for ABVs around 4%. A lot of craft lagers and session ales can come in around there.

For significantly lighter beers: I will confess I drink Corona Light. With a squeeze of lime, it's passable. Guinness, of course. For the craft stuff, a couple of Texas breweries have made lighter beers. Pedernales makes Lobo Light (4% ABV), and it's better than the macro light beers...not amazing, but fine for a hot day. Noble Rey has Sex in a Canoe (4.2% ABV), and despite their tag line, it's not f***ing close to water. I doubt they have wide distribution, but I'm sure other craft breweries have done similar things. Looking for that 4ish ABV is going to be key to reducing calories.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    but if I drink something 10%, I only need one. ;)
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Gose tends to be 150 or less.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Just to be safe I drink 4 oz Scotch, 1/2 bottle of wine and one or two pale ale every night. This way if any of the calories are bad they will be offset by the good ones.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    but if I drink something 10%, I only need one. ;)

This is me! Go big or go home!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Budget accordingly - move enough to justify the intake of God's greatest gift to man.

Far too many brews to limit to one. I'm on a continual tasting quest looking for that next wonderful brew.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I work for a craft brewery and distributor so this is my life.... as you can imagine drinking is often part of the job (sales meetings usually start with us cracking a beer at 9 or 10am...). I've cut back on my drinking significantly (down to a few times a week instead of every day) so that's a huge calorie cut right there.

In terms of low calorie beers.... tbh I don't pay that close of attention. For one, most breweries don't list calories so I figure I'm just guessing anyway. I'm not touching a lite beer, because I'd rather have something I'm going to enjoy. Alcohol content and body of the beer are the biggest factors in calorie count. A pilsners is generally lower in calories than a barrel ages stout. The good news is craft pilsners have really come into vogue so it's pretty easy these days to find a really well done lager. But I'll also allow myself a big heavy beer if that's what I want. I just try to make sure it fits in my calories where I can. I've also been drinking a lot of 22s. I find this is easier to limit myself- it's a one and done deal. If I start drinking 12 or 16 oz cans and bottles I keep going back for more and can move into a 4 or 5 beer territory if I've got a while to hang.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Just to be safe I drink 4 oz Scotch, 1/2 bottle of wine and one or two pale ale every night. This way if any of the calories are bad they will be offset by the good ones.

My hero!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    Options
    there is a craft beer group on here.

Where can I find this group???