Socks to go under your socks?

Options
I've been getting blisters on the inner edges of my feet (like in the arches) when I run, and my doctor suggested sock liners (body glide and Superfeet didn't work, I hate moleskin, and new shoes and socks helped a little, but the blisters still pop up). Sock liners seem a little redundant, but I'm willing to give them a shot. Any suggestions on what I should look for? When I look on Amazon, a bunch of no-show socks for flats or boat shoes come up. These look promising, but $30 a pair is too pricy for me, especially if I want to run 4 days a week (and do laundry once a week):

https://www.amazon.com/ArmaSkin-Extreme-Anti-Blister-Athletic-Running/dp/B01MD226IM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1486747230&sr=8-16&keywords=running+sock+liners&th=1

Is there anything that's effective, reliable, and possibly cheaper?

Replies

• djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for proper running shoes? That may help.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    is there maybe something in the construction of the shoe that you are having a reaction too rather than simply rubbing? I've never heard of sock liners to wear inside socks
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Double layered socks are a thing for runners, I used to work somewhere that sold them. As to their effectiveness I don't know. New shoes sorted out a couple of minor blister issues I was having (same shoes, half a size larger).
  • fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been to a running shoe store to get fitted for shoes. Those are the shoes I have now. I've noticed that I tend to lean into my arches when I get tired or my calves get really tight and I try to power through without stopping...this may be the problem, but it's not something I can duplicate accurately on the spot. Maybe another trip to the running store is in order? I asked my doctor for a referral to a podiatrist, but it seems like she wants me to exhaust all my options before going to see one.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different socks? Thin vs thick? wool vs poly/synthetic?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    When I've worn 2 pairs of socks for blisters, Normally, I'll wear inexpensive Cotton or cotton blend as the base layer,

And yes, it certainly helps if the blisters are from rubbing and not from pinching.
  • fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Have you tried different socks? Thin vs thick? wool vs poly/synthetic?

I really like Adidas ClimaLite socks. They have some compression in the arches, and are generally comfy. I've also tried Asics cushioned socks, but didn't find anything outstanding about them. Both I think are a blend, moisture wicking, and whatnot. What kind of socks would you recommend? Are wool socks breathable? It seems like they'd be really hot.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I like any wool or polyester sock that has a really fine fiber/weave (think smooth to the touch). I like them as thin as I can get them, but there's nothing inherently wrong with thicker socks.

My current favorite is SmartWool PHD run socks... but I also like Swiftwicks. Features are OK.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I only get blisters on my toes so I wonder if there is something about your shoe that is rubbing your foot wrong. I would just wear 2 pairs of thin socks. However, I would not wear any sort of cotton in the sock that is touching your skin. Cotton absorbs sweat, becomes wet, rubs, causes more blisters. Balega has a really thin pair that I like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012E9ST4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486755446&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=balega+hidden+dry&dpPl=1&dpID=31UumjSvD3L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I started getting blisters on the tips of my toes but this is happening on 18+ mile runs. The blisters don't hurt though. I've thought about trying to wear 2 pairs of socks, but my feet are wide so I want as much space as possible. I've done two 20 mile runs in these with no blisters added. My toenails are still black though. Lol!

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You need a polypropylene liner. Rei or any out door store carries them. I like icebreaker socks.

Make sure your feet are smooth and supple. If you have any callouses you'll need to do soaks, pumice Stone, moisturizer. A couple times a week.

When I go hiking and there are any questions I may get a blister, I do tincture of benzoin on the skin and cover with leukotape p. It lasts days....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need polypro or silk or similar fabric liners. Something "slippery", so the sock slips rather than your skin. That would not be cotton or wool for any % of the fabric.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    wrightsocks coolmesh double layered socks amazon have them at ~$12, been wearing them for a couple of years.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I always double my socks for hiking and occasionally for running especially if I anticipate being wet. Very thin synthetic socks as a line and usually the over sock is thin or medium, merino wool or a merino/synthetic blend. Works great!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Belaga socks are amazing. I never really thought socks were a big deal, I always wore cheap cotton socks. Then the pads of my toes started hurting, then bruises showed up! I got new sneakers and a pair of belaga socks at the running store and I'm in love! They are soft and supportive and my toes are healing. The socks are so comfy I wear them all day.