Simple Tofu Dish

Options
rc630
rc630 Posts: 310 Member
Hi MFPers. Since I'm normally just cooking for myself, I like to keep things simple (but tasty too)! I made this tofu dish and it turned out really well so I thought I'd share.

Ingredients:
Extra Firm Tofu - 0.5 package (6.75 oz) - 180 calories
Hoisin sauce - 1 Tbsp (I used Earthfare Organic) - 25 calories
Chili garlic sauce- 1 tsp - 0 calories
Olive oil - 1 Tbsp - 120 calories

To start, once you take the tofu out of the package, wrap it in a lot of paper towels and set it on a plate. Then put something flat like a cutting board on top. Put heavy objects such as canned goods, a wine bottle, or a biochemistry textbook (well, that's what I used...) on top of the cutting board, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. This will squeeze all the excess moisture out. You might want to change out the paper towels for some dry ones partway through.

If you squeezed out the entire package of tofu, cut it in half and put the remainder in an airtight container with enough fresh water to cover it and store it in the fridge until you want to use it again.
With the 6.75 oz you have kept out, either cut it in half or cut it into small cubes (since this recipe serves two, I find it easier to just cut it into two thin slabs than to count out the chunks later).
Either in a bowl with a large flat bottom, or on a plate, mix the hoisin sauce with the chili garlic sauce, and add about 1/2 tsp of water if you find the mixture too thick. Place the tofu in the sauce. After a few minutes, either flip the slabs over, or if you cut it into cubes, flip the cubes around so the sauce is on all sides.

While the tofu is sitting in the sauce, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil (or any oil you prefer to cook with) in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot (before it starts spattering), place the tofu in the pan and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Then, flip the slabs over (or toss the cubes around a bit) and let them sit for another 5 minutes. If you wish, cook the tofu for longer, depending on how well done you want it.

Then, take off of the pan and enjoy!

Servings: 2
Calories: 162.5

To make it more of a meal, I like to throw some kale and onions into the pan at the end; They pick up the flavor of the sauce really well.
Also, you can add more chili garlic sauce if you want it spicier.

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    sounds really good!! I love tofu!
  • sarahsfaith
    sarahsfaith Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love tofu too! The other day I had a tofu burger in mushroom sauce... it was awesome!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    bump
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    I love tofu but never know what to do with it! This sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing :)
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!
  • MrKevboto
    MrKevboto Posts: 12
    Options
    Next time switch the olive oil with a little coconut oil. ;)
  • PoppyPea
    PoppyPea Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish - thanks for posting!
  • lachicadelfuego
    lachicadelfuego Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Oh Yum! I love Tofu and this dish sounds wonderful! I used to order General Tso's Tofu from Chinese place, but theirs is loaded with calories. I definitely am planning to try this dish. Thanks for posting!