Do those chia seeds really help?

Options
I was wondering if they really help and if they are worth it.
Anyone tried them or are still using them?
Would you suggest them?
Why or why not?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Ch-ch-ch-chia!

No idea. I just had to do that. Don't worry, though. Someone clever will be along shortly.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Ch-ch-ch-chia!

No idea. I just had to do that. Don't worry, though. Someone clever will be along shortly.

yeah can't get that out of my head since the title of the post popped up on my page
  • WinterWedding2013
    Options
    :laugh:
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Lol! Yes I have been using them for about 2 weeks now and I have noticed a change in my appetite and endurance! I have put them in my oatmeal, yogurt, and protein shakes... I would say yes get them if you workout, need a liitle more protein and fiber in your diet, and just want to feel better overall! Plus they are a great source of omega 3!! Google it, there are a ton of articles to support their benefits. The articles I read say they are better then flax, however I have never tried flax so I really can't say. Hope this helps and good luck on deciding! :)
  • Blahrina
    Blahrina Posts: 10
    Options
    how do you take the seeds> my naturopath said that they only way to really get the benefit is by grinding them in the coffee grinder, otherwise they are just fiber that goes thru your system since our stomach isn't strong enough to digest the seed walls.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I eat/drink them for the omega-3 fatty acids and the fiber...I really only *know* that the fiber part is working. Since they are purportedly more shelf stable and don't have to be ground like flax, they are a better choice for me to use when travelling.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat some daily in my cereal, yogurt , salads, ice cream. A dietician recommended them to control blood sugar and keep your body from storing fat. But I don't know if they work. I am not diabetic so I don't keep track of blood sugar. I thought maybe they would help prevent diabetes since there is a history of it in my family.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When you add the seeds to water or for instance oats they kind of dissolve into like a gel.... It's kind of hard to explain! I read it on the web site before I bought them but actually had to see it myself to understand. It's actually pretty neat and very easy to do...
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Really? I'd always read that one of the reasons to use chia over flax is that they didn't need to be ground. Chia seeds coats aren't that hard. We don't digest the seed coat itself, but we do break it down some. It would be HARD to grind them. They are so tiny that they'd just turn to dust.
    how do you take the seeds> my naturopath said that they only way to really get the benefit is by grinding them in the coffee grinder, otherwise they are just fiber that goes thru your system since our stomach isn't strong enough to digest the seed walls.