Dropping Lbs. When the Knees don't work!!

Options
Hello everyone. I am a 55 yr old that feels like I'm 35 in mind and spirit. All the sudden-my knees have advanced to major arthritis. Can't walk the 5 miles with my friends anymore I'm lucky to get up the stairs! I miss my girl social times! And, the fresh air. I'm on a mission to loose alot of weight to help while I am searching for the right orthopedic care and therapy. Would love to do this venture with some similair folks who have this challenge to surpass!

Replies

• billycrosby
    billycrosby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally, this happened to me in my early 30s. I switched to cycling. Now, I bike commute to my office; road cycle on weekends. Despite being 62, I frequently ride +150 miles a week which I combine with some calisthentics and light weight lifting. Also check the pdf. exercises which I do 3x a week--which was a huge benefit to my knee health and cycling: orthoinfo.org/PDFs/Rehab_Knee_6.pdf
  • ladysharbug
    ladysharbug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am new to this so just bare with me. I am 67 years old and just went through my second cancer surgery. I total neuropathy so I am not very mobile, so no excersize since I have to walk with a walker and braces on both legs, I have had back surgery with still in my back now. I hope to loose at least 50lbs by my 50th. wedding anniversary in May of this. It will be a challrnge, but hope to conqueor this battle!
  • norawaller
    norawaller Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as a friend. I too have very bad knees. I have had surgery on one and trying to hold off on the other one because it was so awful going through that surgery. Do you have access to a pool? I do all my aerobics in the pool. I also walk my dogs but try to do it on a soft trail whenever I can. in addition, I do weights. Strengthening the leg muscles around the knees is recommended by physical therapists for knee problems and it is also good for weight loss. If you have been on this sight much you have probably heard someone say by now that the food intake is the most important thing so really focus on that more than the exercise. I started needing to lose 113 lbs and so far have lost 43. I know when I get to the 70lbs lost mark my knees are going to feel a lot better. I know this because I lost before and then gained it back. this was because I was on a fad diet that was not sustainable. slow and steady is much better. Best wishes to you
  • PetraVanilla
    PetraVanilla Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am "only" 40 with bilateral chondrodisplasia patella/osteoarthritis in both knees. While I get quarterly corticosteroid injections into my knees, I also have fibromyalgia. Together, especially during flares, it makes working out a difficult chore sometimes. Notbto mention, I am a single mom of two teens and a full time online university student. I can always use a bit extra motivation and give it, as well. This app has helped me lose about 20 lbs and I have roughly 50 lbs to go...
  • lmunik
    lmunik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I totally get it. Young w knee problems- not what one expects. Good job plugging forward. I like the site too. Im navigating thru it. I do bike 30 min moderately and it helps to losen up everything.
  • lmunik
    Options
    Okay so I dont know how to reply to you all individually. But I want to say THANK U for taking the time to respond and give input. I agree with njwall this app is a must to control intake. My worst time is at night when its relax and dessert time. Ive switched ice cream and chocolate with popcorn. Going on 2 weeks w that. And I record EVERYTHING and surprised how the calories add up.
  • Fishingsimpson
    Fishingsimpson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That was a lot to read what they all said. Here is what I'll say I'm 52 at 49 I blew both knees out working kneeling on concrete. And they were getting bad then one day poof I couldn't hardly walk I've had one knee replaced don't watch anything before you get it done it's barbaric. But it's not that bad after. It hurts more sitting around than it does with light walking. I could do the pool right away even in a heated pool it was to cold and hurt. On cold days after your healed a neapream sleeve helps keep it warm. I'm getting ready to do the other knee and not worried about it and I have watched the video on the Surgery showing them doing it and explaining it. It's been a year since the first knee was done even though the other knee still hurts like hell I use my tredclimber on low settings and burn about 200 cal in 30 min.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you dont need to exercise to lose weight. a deficit is all that is needed and if you want to be more accurate a digital scale to weigh(food) all solids and semi solids is a great tool to help. measuring cups are not accurate for these things and food packaging can be off by up to 20%(I learned this the hard way).you can still eat what you want this way too as you will know how much you are eating. I was not able to work out for a little over 2 months and still lost weight.exercise is for health but is not needed for weight loss. if you can exercise then I say do so but if you cant for one reason or another its not needed.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My issue is ankles. For knees, swimming helps if you have access to a lap pool; you may need to take a set of lessons or join a 'masters club' for coaching to tune up your form and reduce the risk of (shoulder) injury.

I can't swim right now because I have tendon issues that would be exacerbated. In my case, downhill skiing would work (but I live 4 hours from the nearest resort) because the boots keep the ankles rigid.

Technology exists to replace knees, if you can find no other way. I know many people who have had knee replacements and most have been liberated by it.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,366 Member
    Options
    I was told in my 30's that by 50 I would need a knee replacement. I'm 63 and still waiting. The last 2 years I have totally gotten into essential oils. About 10 years ago I started limping really bad, when through PT, was told I have frozen kneecaps, and could not hardly bend my right knee. I fell in Oct 2014 and messed up my knee. I researched my oils and started using cinnamon oil and frankincense mixture every morning and night. I got to the point that I did not limp anymore. Last January I said it was time to do something about my weight. I have lost 70lbs since then. In December I joined Curves and the YMCA to workout and gain some strength. I think the combination of all this has helped me tremendously.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    lmunik wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I am a 55 yr old that feels like I'm 35 in mind and spirit. All the sudden-my knees have advanced to major arthritis. Can't walk the 5 miles with my friends anymore I'm lucky to get up the stairs! I miss my girl social times! And, the fresh air. I'm on a mission to loose alot of weight to help while I am searching for the right orthopedic care and therapy. Would love to do this venture with some similair folks who have this challenge to surpass!

I would recommended Winsor Pilates.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Slower walks are certainly a possibility. Yoga is another. Tai chi is doable, but make sure your instructor knows and is willing to work within your limits. Upper-body weight training is very doable, but get a good instructor before doing anything with your legs.

I went through physical therapy then got scoped, then used my knee as an excuse for being lazy (well, lazier than usual) for a few years. It still gives me trouble, but I'm being proactive about treatment, and the weight loss has really reduced the stress on it.
  • Michelecd
    Michelecd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a 61 yr old woman with 1 TK replacement and needing another. Exercise is a big issue with arthritis and not over doing it. I need to lose about 35 lbs and am dealing with chronic pain and resulting sleep issues. Hope this forum can provide support and new ideas!
  • lmunik
    Options
    Oh yeah this is me! For pain Im taking Celebrex 100 mg twice a day- it helps. Found out heat works bettee than ice. I wear neonephrine brace when I walk around (bc i have a torn miniscus plus severe degeneratimg arthritis). I habe yo get the left one stable b4 surgery on the rt one. Its hard. Even shopping isn ifficult so forget doinf the yard! And i find i am changing what i do and how i do it bc of it. How does ine work 8 hours in all this pain? At the end of the day by 10 im out from pain. But by loosing weight and seeking solutions i hope this is a temporary state!
  • lmunik
    Options
    Signed up for a free hospital knee pain seminar this week. Will see what I learn.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a rehab fitness program in the pool that I do. It is deep water, so I have to keep moving to stay afloat. We wear flotation belts. We work on abs, core and extremity muscles. After we go for a soak in the hot tub or sauna. This is through my community pool. Look around and see if there is something like that available in your area.
  • lmunik
    Options
    Yes going to try it. Went to a very informative hospital seminar about rovotic knee replacement. Anyone have this done?