Inexpensive scale that can be stored sideways

Options
I'm probably the only person using this site who doesn't own a scale. Every time I look for one on Amazon I get overwhelmed and give up my quest after a day or two. Since we have a small house I need one that can be stored sideways, tucked next to the bathroom cabinet until I'm ready to use it. I'm not sure if that will damage the scale, though. I'm cheap so only want to spend $15 max on a scale. I don't need one that has pinpoint accuracy or fancy features, just some way to generally track my weight. Any recommendations?

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You can buy a generic scale at any store like Wal-Mart for $10. No need to waste time on Amazon.
  • MarmiteToes
    MarmiteToes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can buy a generic scale at any store like Wal-Mart for $10. No need to waste time on Amazon.

Aah, yes, but with the help of Amazon I can get all of my shopping done without having to come into contact with another human being! The joys of internet shopping abound.

Amazon does have some in the $10 and under range but once I read the reviews I get confused as to whether it's a great item or a POS that I shouldn't waste money on. I'm probably overthinking this whole thing.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This is the scale I use. I bought it in 2010 and it's still working fine. I live in an RV and it's stored on it's side next to the shower. When I use it I set it on the floor (not the carpet), step on it and wait for it to give me a weight, step off and let it shut off (it calibrates itself then if necessary) and then step back on to make sure I got it right.

It's more than $15, but you can get it from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $18.85 right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001KXZ808/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
  • MarmiteToes
    MarmiteToes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Looks like I have a little research to do but I'm glad to hear that you're all happy with your scales.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Costco has a nice one
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had a scale from Aldi that had a hole in the back so I could hang it on the wall. Very handy.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recommendation, but you can store any scale on its side. But if you are going to store it on its side, you'll need to step on it 2 or 3 times to recalibrate it so it will give a more accurate reading. That 3rd of 4th reading will be more accurate.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Any digital scale should be okay. I have a tanita scale that would work.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Digital scales use strain gauges to measure the force that your body applies to the scale. The scale is calibrated every time you use it: that's why many scales require you to tap the scale briefly, then wait for it to read 0 before you step on it to weigh. Strain gauges won't be damaged by being stored sideways, so your scale will be fine.