Portions

Options
Hi Everyone...

The thing I struggle with the most is portion control. I make these really healthy meals for dinner (like Marinated Grilled Shrimp with salad tonight) and then I find myself eating more than one serving of it -- either I put too much on the plate or I go back for more.

Anyone have successful tricks of the trade for this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Katie

7018235.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    i use a small plate and I weigh or measure my food and I do not make extras....
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Maybe an hour or 2 before you eat dinner have a healthy snack...Been working for me..:bigsmile:
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The "trick" is to eat foods that are not calorie dense. So, if you are eating that grilled shrimp salad (so I am assuming greens and tomatoes), I would start with a no-salt added soup and then add more veggies in your salad. Also, I would chew the salad so the distension in your stomach will make you feel full. I would also drink water as it will act as a filler.

Good luck!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options

I've gone to little plates only. It really helps!
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    We only cook enough for one serving each. Then we can't go back for more or get too much. For meals that you just can't help but make more we just make sure to only put one serving on our plates and if we are still hungry we drink lots of water to fill us up. Portion control is a really hard thing to do when you've been so used to eating as much as you want. Over time it will become second nature and you won't want to get more.

Good luck.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    This..I never make extras as I hate wasted food..lol..I weigh everything I eat..I often eat more than one serving and as long as thats logged and balanced its OK...
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of things when I cook - but there's only me to eat! So I put the leftovers in single portions in takeaway containers and put them straight in the freezer. Then I wash all the dishes by hand. Then I eat my meal.

By the time I'm finished all of that and want more, the food in the freezer is way too cold for me to be bothered getting it out and heating it up. Simple. Plus my dishes don't sit around all night whilst I work up the energy to wash them...
  • jfer1977
    Options

I forgot about this one. We started using smaller plates about three years ago and that really does help.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to just make just enough to feed us each a serving. If making a pot of soup or something of the like, I dish out a serving and then freeze the rest in one serving portions usually for my lunches through the week.
  • JL3mom
    JL3mom Posts: 48
    Options
    I reach for a yogart and or fruit after dinner if I still want more... kinda like a dessert!!
  • jfer1977
    Options
    I make big batches of things when I cook - but there's only me to eat! So I put the leftovers in single portions in takeaway containers and put them straight in the freezer. Then I wash all the dishes by hand. Then I eat my meal.

By the time I'm finished all of that and want more, the food in the freezer is way too cold for me to be bothered getting it out and heating it up. Simple. Plus my dishes don't sit around all night whilst I work up the energy to wash them...

Great idea!!!!
  • gooberkn
    gooberkn Posts: 18
    Options

I love this idea!!!! I too am just cooking for one so I often like to make a meal that can last several lunches and dinners, if I don't eat it all. I will definitely try this idea!
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    I drink water before dinner..try to get that full feeling..or i get some veggie out and snack while i'm cookine (pickled okra and normal cucumbers have been a favorite !)..that way i'm snacking before and don't feel super hungry! :)
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    If a recipe says it makes 4 portions I put the extra 2 away for mine & hubby's lunches tomorrow :) That way it's already in the fridge when it's time to eat. Also, we eat on small salad plates (our large dinner plates are awkward anyway, back when we got married was the height of the square dinner plate trend lol), and they say smaller plates make you feel like you're eating more food :)

Try to eat more slowly and enjoy your food, chewing thoroughly and tasting everything :) If it doesn't feel like enough, try making a lower calorie side dish, even if it's just a can of vegetables--this'll fill the gaps and give you a larger dinner so you don't feel like you need an extra helping!
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip: When I cook soups I freeze leftovers in a muffin pan. They come out to a little over 1/3 cup each "muffin" easier for portion control :happy:
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh things. I also stick to foods that are filling. :-)
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ps. I also eat a big salad before a meal if I'm feeling extra hungry.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1-2 heaped teaspoons of metamucil or some other combination of psyllium fibre with two glasses of water before dinner and lunch, keeps you full for longer and lowers fat absorption (also good for lowering cholesterol). Seems to work for me. They also say that walnuts are appetite surpressing, recommended dose is 7 halves, think I read this in Dr Oz's book.
  • gooberkn
    gooberkn Posts: 18
    Options
    Awesome suggestions everyone. I am using my salad plates instead of dinner plates and drinking a lot more water before dinner, instead of after, and its helping!!! i also have tried measuring stuff by leaving my measuring cups out on the counter so I remember. I don't have a kitchen scale yet, but this will do for now.

Thank you all for your suggestions. If you think of others, I'd love to hear them, but I think I am off on a good new track :)

Katie