Whats a good exercise to do instead of squats and lunges?

Options
I cant do squats and lunges cause they hurt my knees. The last time I did any type of squats or lunges I had this sharp pain my my knees and couldnt do them. Any suggestions on what I can do instead of them?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Have you had an assessment on your actual form? Lots of people execute a squat or lunge incorrectly leading to knee pain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Agreed with ninerbuff.

Pain usually has to do with bad form which can be corrected.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I like deadlifts and weighted hip thrusts.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Have you had an assessment on your actual form? Lots of people execute a squat or lunge incorrectly leading to knee pain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I have had an MRI and see a physio. Can't do most squats and lunges. It isn’t always that they are being done incorrectly but that you have problems with your knee. My recommendation is getting your knee looked at professionally. If there is an underlying problem then the physio can give you tailor made exercises to help with that particular problem. A correct diagnosis can not be done online but will require scans.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If your knees check out ok, look into TRX assisted squats to get your knees get toughened up and you get some strength. Otherwise if you really can't do squats because of your knees you can try deadlifts. I dont ever do lunges they are knee killers.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts and glute bridges,though I find even the latter of those can hurt my knees.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I can't do lunges due to a specific knee injury and can't do heavy weighted squats due to back injury.

You may find you need to strengthen your muscles slowly and progressively depending on where your start point is and the pain will lessen or go. You may not of course if there is an underlying injury!
    Quad strength in particular makes a big contribution to knee stability.

Stairs, cycling, leg press would be my suggestion. But don't train through pain.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stepping up onto a high stool or platform. You can also trying walking up stairs 2 (or 3) at a time.

Wall sit is great if you don't have pain when you are in the position.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Please don't do any of these exercises unless advised by a physio. Not one person commenting has any idea of what is causing your knee problems and many of the recommended exercises coyld do more harm than good. If I followed the advise given here I'd be needing a knee replacement in no time at all. Is it worth risking it without knowing the cause?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Please don't do any of these exercises unless advised by a physio. Not one person commenting has any idea of what is causing your knee problems and many of the recommended exercises coyld do more harm than good. If I followed the advise given here I'd be needing a knee replacement in no time at all. Is it worth risking it without knowing the cause?

Agree with this. At the very least you might just be trying to do too much for the fitness level of your legs. Squats and lunges with no experience should be done VERY shallowly (very little dip) with close attention paid to form, working in front of a mirror at the least, on an good surface with supportive footwear.

If stepping up stairs isn't a problem, then its logical that your just trying to do too much with your squat and lunge, above your fitness level.

Search youtube fore beginner squats. Search also for other thigh and leg workouts, like rear leg lifts.

You DON'T want to mess with your knees.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts (bodyweight)
    Step ups (Bodyweight)