Post workout drinks?

Options
I am working out daily using the lean p90x schedule. I want to be leaner so that I can actually see my muscles! I weigh 140 & would like to drop my excess fat that's in trouble areas. Should I be drinking a whey protein shake after workouts or no? It's isopure with no carbs. We have been eating low carb now for almost 3 weeks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am working out daily using the lean p90x schedule. I want to be leaner so that I can actually see my muscles! I weigh 140 & would like to drop my excess fat that's in trouble areas. Should I be drinking a whey protein shake after workouts or no? It's isopure with no carbs. We have been eating low carb now for almost 3 weeks.

But are you in a calorie deficit?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A protein shake isn't going to make you leaner.

Consuming protein shakes (within your calorie goal) isn't going to *keep* you from being leaner, but there is no reason to do it unless you enjoy the taste or find it's a good way to meet your need for protein.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you are consuming enough protein daily then no you don't need a post workout protein shake. If you find it's hard to meet your protein goals with your diet then yes you may want to consume a post workout protein shake.

Also, all the p90X and protein shakes in the world won't make you lean if you aren't tracking your calories and making sure you're in a caloric deficit. Are you also using myfitnesspal for calorie counting??
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Also low carb isn't really necessary. Adequate carbs, adequate protein, and adequate fat is what you want. Not high or low anything- the RIGHT amount. What are your macros?
  • AshBrown892017
    AshBrown892017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :) yes I use the calorie deficit this app gave me for my specific goals. I do pretty good with that part. I usually do ok meeting my protein intake without the shake. I'm glad to know if I'm under my calorie intake that it won't hurt but I don't guess I need it. What's with the recovery drinks they advertise? Do I need anything specific post workout for my body?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're really interested in protein timing. The scientific consensus at this point is that you do not need to consume protein immediately after a workout or at any other specific time; you only need to make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet.

You also can't target fat loss, unfortunately. Your body will burn fat if you're in a calorie deficit, but you can't control where that fat is taken from.
  • AshBrown892017
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks. It's good to know that's not a big part of my goal. I'll just keep it in mind if I am low on protein in my normal diet. About the fat burning....unfortunately it's my belly that I want gone. Hopefully I will lose all over and see a diff over time.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    water. water. water. water. water.
    Did I mention water?
  • AshBrown892017
    Options
    Oh yes :) my husband and I drank soda and tea. Now we only have water & I have coffee a few times a week. I've lost 4 pounds to his 18 :/ he eats less than 20 carbs. I stay around 30-40.
  • AshBrown892017
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I need way more water though.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Some fitness folks will say you need 20 grams of protein within about 30 minutes after finishing a workout. Not really going to make or break your results in my opinion, but not a bad idea either. I enjoy a whey protein shake after my weightlifting workouts, whey is a fast absorbing/digesting protein and I mix mine with coconut water for extra natural sweetness and electrolytes. I find this very satisfying and refreshing and also I get really hungry after a workout so this tides me over until I can get in a healthy meal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets...it's not going to lean you out.
    Oh yes :) my husband and I drank soda and tea. Now we only have water & I have coffee a few times a week. I've lost 4 pounds to his 18 :/ he eats less than 20 carbs. I stay around 30-40.

Men can typically lose weight faster than women given that we have larger, often much larger maintenance requirements...it sounds to me like he has a massive deficit to lose 18 Lbs in 3 weeks (though a decent chunk of that is water and glycogen)...if he's eating roughly the same as you from a calorie standpoint, it's quite likely...and likely a deficit that is way too large long run.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What's marketed as a recovery drink varies a lot on the target audience and purpose. If it's a protein shake, it is often playing into the idea that you need a lot of protein right after a workout. That was a popular theory, but the research doesn't support it.

However, other drinks are meant to restore glycogen (the glucose that's stored in your muscles, and is burned during a workout) and/or electrolytes (minerals you lose in sweat). Therefore, they have sugar/carbs and salt/other minerals--think Gatorade for this sort of drink.

There is evidence that some protein helps with glycogen storage, so some drinks have both carbs and a little protein--chocolate milk is a popular option.

In practice, though, I just eat after I work out, when I'm able to stomach it (I usually don't want food immediately after a hard workout). I usually do have something high in protein because it's quick and filling. If I'm sweating a lot, I throw a Nuun tablet in my water bottle to make sure I'm replacing my electrolytes.

tl;dr: marketing just wants to sell you stuff, and you probably can accomplish the same thing more cheaply :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :) yes I use the calorie deficit this app gave me for my specific goals. I do pretty good with that part. I usually do ok meeting my protein intake without the shake. I'm glad to know if I'm under my calorie intake that it won't hurt but I don't guess I need it. What's with the recovery drinks they advertise? Do I need anything specific post workout for my body?
    Advertised to make more money. They are unnecessary if your regular nutrition is on point.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only reason to buy a recovery drink is because they come in a convenient bottle you can take with you. If you don't need the convenience, you can easily get all the protein you need from regular food.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you can, try whole sources of protein first, and if you can't, try to research the Whey you want. All Whey is not equal, I think I'd go for Whey Isolates or something similar.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Consider a more balanced diet. Carbs are not the enemy. Imbalance can have physical ramifications. Look into a Mediterranean style eating plan.
  • Alpine021
    Alpine021 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How are you finding P90X? I bought it but just can't be doing with hour long workouts. Plus the Yoga is 90 minutes! In terms of your question though it's seems generally accepted that your muscles are sore after a workout so the quicker you get them nutrients to repair them the better (i.e. Whey protein shake) but I think as mentioned above the main point is getting enough protein per day. I drink whey straight after a workout as it seems to make sense. If you are injured in any way the quicker you get help / medical attention the better yes? I've no idea where that analogy came from but I'm sticking with it :)
  • AshBrown892017
    Options
    Alpine yes they are super long workouts. Thanks to all :)