No appetite because I'm just not hungry.

Options
CVAB
CVAB Posts: 56 Member
I'm almost at my two week mark [lost 6lbs] and normally before I started watching what I ate I binge ate due to mental and emotional reasons. I over ate anyway because I started at 255 lbs.

but now I have no appetite at all. I feel so so so hungry and then I eat and I eat only half but what is on my plate is already half of what I would eat before.

Like at one point I was eating a meal that was around 1500 cals.
Now I eat a 550 cals meal, but I'll only eat half because I get full. So it's closer to 300.

I always eat my whole calorie amount for the day even if I have to push myself. However I feel like I shouldn't be this "content" I guess. Maybe it's because I'm not use to it. I dunno.

I'm thinking of adding just higher calorie food to my meals like nut butters and stuff. But then I'm scared I'll get into a binge fit and have no extra leg room to eat more.

Did anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm here to gain weight rather than lose so probably not the best person to advise but,what you're describing is how I was as a thin person and I suspect it's the same for many thin people - we just stop eating when we're no longer hungry.
    You say you used to binge eat for emotional reasons - have things changed so you no longer feel the need to do this? It sounds like you're terrified you might "relapse " and that could be the cause of your loss of appetite- our minds can do strange things!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are the mental and emotional reasons no longer an issue?

You should balance your meals so that you eat up and feel satisfied after a meal.

Hunger, appetite and satiety is quite individual and unpredictable, even though it follows some patterns. It's part about volume, but also about nutrition and taste. Some foods make you feel full, but not satisfied, other foods and food combinations satisfy you on a "deeper" level. A well balanced diet will make you feel pleasantly full for an appropriate amount of calories. And then there are foods that you just can't get enough of. You have to find out which foods are which for you.

You should also log correctly so that you get in what you think you are getting in.
  • CVAB
    CVAB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I suppose they are not an issue right now. I have Bipolar and I am now medicated. I guess right now things are good but I am scared I'll have a manic or depressive episode and just completely mess up.

I have binged 1000s and 1000s of calories in the past in one sitting.

I want to just let it go but I feel like if I don't mindfully think about the binge eating all the time. I'll slip into it without thinking about.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes this happened to me too when I first started. I think it's a combination of things....

Being more aware of eating instead of mindless eating.
    Eating more balanced nutritional meals.
    Drinking more water.
    Committed to lose.
    I stopped forcing myself to eat breakfast (makes me hungrier throughout the day)

After 3 months I noticed my appetite started coming back a little more.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you are getting all your calories in, is it really a problem? Give yourself permission to feel what you feel. It's a new sensation for you, but it's OK to not feel as hungry as you used to. Maybe your body has adjusted to your new way of eating, but your mind just hasn't caught up yet?

Some days you'll be hungrier and others not so much. For me, personally, a certain time of the month puts me in beast mode for a few days when it comes to the cravings. But don't panic, just stay present and stay neutral. (Less stress that way.) How you've interacted with food in the past doesn't need to carry into the present. The past is the past - it can't be changed. And it's a waste of time, effort and worry to try to predict the future. Just live in the present.

It's going pretty well right now, right, so just let it be what it is and enjoy each day. Bad days happen, but they will pass, so don't let a few derail you. Just keep your focus on the good ones you have and the good ones to come! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You may be in a low which affects appetite. If you are eating your minimum daily I wouldn't worry about it. This too shall pass.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes this happened to me too when I first started. I think it's a combination of things....

Being more aware of eating instead of mindless eating.
    Eating more balanced nutritional meals.
    Drinking more water.
    Committed to lose.
    I stopped forcing myself to eat breakfast (makes me hungrier throughout the day)

After 3 months I noticed my appetite started coming back a little more.

This
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Is reduced appetite a side effect of the meds??
    If so, you may need time for your body to adjust. (You should also tell your doctor if that's the case.)
  • zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, there's no reason you need to TRY to reach your daily calorie goal. If you can get away with staying under it, do it. Just watch out and don't eat too little to the point where it affects your normal functioning.