Exercises to strengthen lower back

Options
Does anyone have ideas of any lower back exercises that will help strenthen it? When I wake up normally my lower back is stiff and i can't bend until I'm up moving around for awhile. I've been doing wall push ups, modified mountain climbers, that thing where you're standing and you touch your knees to your elbows (lol), jogging in place, things of that nature.

Anyone have any helpful ideas? I do have resistance bands, yoga mat and yoga blocks available to me, if that's useful information lol.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The problem you describe sounds more like flexibility than strength per se. For back flexibility, try torso rotations with resistance band. And cat/cow and bird dog and cobra on yoga mat.

For back strengthening, you want to look at the whole back and whole core not just low back.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have back problems, and I do yoga every day.

I have a strength and running routine- and I wanted some functional core strength on top of it because my lower back is a mess. The stretching and strengthening combo of yoga really seems to help me.

The hippie-dippie talk of the chicks that do the videos drive me nuts, but I have noticed a real difference in my lower back pain from it.
  • thuderousthighss
    thuderousthighss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    My lower back curves in which is great in terms of making my *kitten* look nicer but it's awful in terms of getting proper support when I sit or sleep. Back in August I had the worst back pain I've ever had and it lasted for weeks. In September I started 30 day shred which I did every other day. That, and doing back stretches that were recommended to me by my massage therapist has made a massive change and my back has barely hurt for the past five months. Oh, and when I sleep on my side I try and remember to put a pillow between my legs.

How long have you been doing these exercises for? It might take a bit to build up the strength.

Very interesting, mine also curves inward, I assumed from the weight of my stomach. I can't sleep on back or I'll be messed up all that next day.

I've just been doing those a few days, I wanted to see if there was another of that sort that I could incorporate that is more geared for that area.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Back extensions.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The lower back is supposed to curve in, that would be normal anatomy.
    https://www.spineuniverse.com/anatomy/normal-curves-your-spine

I used to have a lot of lower back pain. As I've developed a stronger core and lost weight, my back problems have nearly disappeared. There are still a few random positions that bother it, but nothing too serious for the most part.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At least temporarily, I would stop doing knees to elbows, mountain climbers, jogging in place and things of that nature. Maybe try doing some step ups for cardio.

I would also add glute work--glute bridges, side leg lifts, clams, side steps with bands and monster walks.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't have huge expertise about this, but when it comes to lower back stuff i can't help thinking it would be good to do a little research about your specific issue and then use a little caution in choosing a routine that's specific to that. just saying that because once your low back is compromised, it's depressingly easy to compromise it even further by choosing the wrong kind of 'help'.

as a very guess-worky starting point, maybe do some googling about anterior pelvic tilt, because that's what came to my mind reading what you described. but don't take that as a diagnosis, because it isn't one.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have ideas of any lower back exercises that will help strenthen it? When I wake up normally my lower back is stiff and i can't bend until I'm up moving around for awhile. I've been doing wall push ups, modified mountain climbers, that thing where you're standing and you touch your knees to your elbows (lol), jogging in place, things of that nature.

Anyone have any helpful ideas? I do have resistance bands, yoga mat and yoga blocks available to me, if that's useful information lol.

Have you had this problem of stiffness in the mornings checked out by a medical professional? I only ask as morning stiffness can be a symptom of other problems such as arthritis.
  • triandtry
    triandtry Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I second the comment from @cgvet37 -- back extensions are the best for me, for sure
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If you're just getting in to exercise it could be muscle soreness, as your back isn't used to what you've been doing. When muscles are sore, they get tight.

In my experience, if my lower back is stiff it is usually tight, and directly working it (even other movements that might require it for stabilization) often makes it worse and has lead to spasms. Things like back extensions are a huge no-no 90% of the time for me. I have to tread very carefully when it comes to working my lower back. (I used to think my lower back was very weak, but now I don't think that's the case at all.)
    My chiropractor has been super helpful over the past year, I had quite a bit of anterior pelvic tilt, which we both feel has improved significantly via strength training focusing on my weak areas and stretching my tight areas. (Weak core, weak glutes and hamstrings, tight lower back) Basically everything around the lower back. (There are some great youtube videos on this if it is applicable to you. Alan Thrall has a good one.)
    I feel losing some weight has also helped. We've also learned that my L4 goes out of place frequently, which might be causing some of my issues. Frequent adjustments are often necessary for me.
    Yoga/stretching might be a good routine to start your day with to get your lower back loosened up. I would try something like that before I would start doing direct lower back work like back extensions. And if you can see a chiropractor I would highly recommend it. Mine has been such a huge help, even recommending things such as how to sleep differently to help my back.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Strengthening my back and core through weight lifting (mostly 5x5) has helped my lower back pain to mostly disappear. Full body compound lifts engage the core and back. Start light and learn good form, increase weight slowly. Good mornings also help strengthen the low back, but might not be the best exercise to start with. I like to do some easy yoga in between lifting sessions to help stretch it out.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    YouTube
    Animal Flow or any flexibility videos from Dean Somerset.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    If it's from waking up, then do you need a new mattress? Also, most low back issues are usually from a weak core and tight hamstrings.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Weight loss can help with that.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If it's from waking up, then do you need a new mattress? Also, most low back issues are usually from a weak core and tight hamstrings.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I completely agree with this. I had lower back pain exactly as you described. I discovered I have arthritis in my lower back. On a doctor's recommendation I strengthened my core and my lower back pain is completely gone. No more stiffness in the morning and no more back pain period.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When my wife isn't at home, I prefer to sleep on the floor. It's awesome. That, and the weight loss and strengthening your core. Also, hips can cause back pain as well....
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Agree with Ninerbuff. My lower back pain was actually because my core was weak and hamstrings/glutes were tight so my back and quads overcompensated.
    Lots of yoga helps. Planks, balance exercises, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have ideas of any lower back exercises that will help strenthen it?

It's probably not a lack of back strength but rather that your abs aren't contracting properly.. which is possibly from extra belly weight, or that you're not aware of contracting them. To contract your abs properly, google "drawing in maneuver" and practice it *all day long*, when sitting, walking, etc.

For now, i would skip all rotational movements (all the ones you listed except pushups), because they can be harder on the back. Back extensions may make your back tighter, so skip them unless a physical therapist recommends them. :+1:
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Jefferson Curls