Obese --> Triathlete -->Appalachian Trail

Options
SBRRepeat
SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
So, to start, I've been feeling a bit lousy recently because my weight has been bouncing up and down for the past few months. I wanted to write this to remind myself how far I've come. It might be a long one, bear with me. My BMI is still sitting at 25ish, in fact, so maybe some wouldn't even consider this a weight loss success story, but here it is:

In 2011, I weighed in at an alarming 240 pounds (female, 5'8", 21 at the time). I had been steadily gaining weight since high school, was unemployed, and generally not in a great place. On a visit to Gatlinburg with my family, we walked from the parking lot to the top of Clingman's Dome, and the half mile climb on a paved path kicked my butt. The Appalachian Trail also summits Clingman's Dome and, like lots of tourists, I stopped to get my picture taken at the sign.
vfk1ke711xx4.jpg
That's me on the right (those sunglasses are bad, I know).

A few months later, even heavier, I got a job that required me to walk most of the day and things started to get better. Not great, but at least I was a little healthier.
Back to a desk job with crazy hours and the weight went right back on. I was miserable-uncomfortable all the time. Constant joint pain from being completely sedentary, sick from a terrible diet, heart palpitations from constant caffeine because I was so tired all the time.
After a significant health scare (at 23 years old) I joined MFP in 2013 for the first time and started C25K.
My first 5k was in the spring of 2013. I jogged about 1/2 mile of it, walked the rest. I was still pretty proud of myself, though.
By that fall, I was able to almost enjoy running, though I wasn't fast or even very dedicated. Weight came off, went back on.
At around 220:
w31x0bmho2r3.jpg

Then my brother loaned me his bike and that was a game changer. First ride was 9 miles and I couldn't walk the next day, but I loved it. He and my parents chipped in to get me a road bike for my birthday and I haven't looked back since.
I fell in love with the freedom and strength I gained from cycling. I felt great, finally. Eventually, I joined a gym, too. I still struggled with my eating habits, but one step at a time, right?

I got in my head to try a triathlon. Mind you, I could barely swim, ran a 12 minute mile, and biked barely 14mph on flat pavement. But I started training, nonetheless, for a mini tri- 250m swim, 7 mi bike, 2 mi Run. My first race was an unmitigated disaster. It rained, I crashed my bike, and I walked almost the whole run. But I finished and it was awesome. I was hooked on the adrenaline and the medals!
It's true what they say, it never gets easier, you just get faster. That year I did 6 triathlons, culminating in a sprint distance on my birthday. I puked off the side of my bike, I walked a LOT of runs, and I collapsed at the finish line once. But for some reason, I didn't want to stop.
One of my first races, around 190
3wsm4fpoqbje.jpg

I even ran my first half marathon in the fall of 2014. It was ugly, but I finished it in 2 hrs, 36 minutes. Improvement.
ewtaa5qdzf9c.jpg

2015, I got it in my head to try for longer distances. I still struggled with my weight, sitting at 190 now. I kept getting injured from overtraining. I did a sprint tri, winning my age group. On a whim, I signed up for an Olympic Distance race. It hurt pretty bad, but at this point training was my life, so I kept going. The end of the 2015 season culminated in a half ironman. I had won my age group several times that year, even snagged an overall win in a local sprint, so I just kept grinding.
The half iron was a whole different beast, so I didn't race to beat any set goals, just to finish. My training schedule was up to 12 hours a week, not including strength training.
The race was amazing. Terrible weather conditions-wind, heat, dangerous waves. But I finished. I expected to be elated but I was mostly just exhausted. Here was this huge accomplishment that I'd spent 6 months singlemindedly working towards and I just wanted to lie down!
bjpo4829qlgz.jpg

After the race, I did some soul searching. Triathlons are amazing, but my personal and professional lives weren't going so hot. I was underemployed and frustrated and having regular panic attacks about my future. Sort of impulsively, I decided to try thruhiking. I liked weekend backpacking trips and was in fairly good shape at that point.
I thought back to that visit to Clingman's Dome and knew I wanted to try the Appalachian Trail.
The odds were against me, only about 20-25% of people who attempted the 2189 mile trail actually finished it, but I'd beaten a lot of odds at that point. I started saving, gave up my apartment, and gave away a lot of my possessions. I resigned from my job, my boss telling me good luck "finding myself."
On April 29th, I started walking from Harper's Ferry, WV. The plan was to hike the northern half first, get to Maine, then drive back to Harper's Ferry to hike south to Georgia. I can go in to reasons for that and any other details, if people are interested, but this post is SO long already.
The whole hike took me 6 months. I almost quit more times than I can count. I hiked solo most of the time, though I picked up an incredible "trail family" along the way.
I got caught in thunderstorms, accidentally stuck my trekking pole in a hornets nest, and slid down a shear rock face, amongst other adventures. I also witnessed sunrises from mountain tops and lake sides and witnessed some of the most incredible beauty the US has to offer. I wouldn't say I found myself, but I was the happiest I've ever been.
awc7nvdywbxn.jpg
ynmtixsipif1.jpg
fuvv6hl48nh9.jpg
5tflvair43wg.jpg

See, throughout this entire process of the last few years, I struggled with an eating disorder and depression. It crippled me sometimes. Sometimes the only thing that got me out of bed was my planned bike rides or 18 mile hiking days. I messed up a lot. I missed a lot of workouts, binged on a lot of crazy foods. My weight loss was never consistent, so I stopped making it the goal. I developed muscles and endurance I never thought I could have. I learned discipline and self forgiveness.
I summited Mt Katahdin in Maine on August 1st, still technically overweight
zk51eglxrh2e.jpg

I summited Springer Mountain in Georgia on October 25th, completing my 2189.1 mile hike
3zoynguh56cx.jpg

And when I crossed Clingman's Dome as a thruhiker, I attracted a crowd of admirers who wanted me to answer questions, take pictures with their kids, and to pray for me.

I'm not superhuman, I'm not a world class athlete. I'm chubby and have stretch marks and loose skin and all manner of other gross stuff. Anyone can do what I did, no matter how many demons are chasing you.
prczebkehxfq.jpg
At Clingman's Dome. 240lbs versus 170ish.

TLDR: you are capable of so much more than you could possibly imagine.

Replies

• tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great post. Congrats!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    So much awesome in this post. I am excited FOR YOU!!! Amazing.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    So much awesome in this post. I am excited FOR YOU!!! Amazing.

Thanks! It's been a crazy couple of years!
  • ddveedub
    ddveedub Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Amazing! All of it!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Favorite post to date! You are amazing. Fitness is definitely a life long journey with many peaks and valleys
  • MariannePhoto
    MariannePhoto Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Loved reading every bit of it! Feel free to share more! Congrats on such Awesome achievements! :-)
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    Favorite post to date! You are amazing. Fitness is definitely a life long journey with many peaks and valleys

Aw, thanks! Favorite post to date is a high honor!
    Syneea wrote: »
    Loved reading every bit of it! Feel free to share more! Congrats on such Awesome achievements! :-)

Thank you! Where do you want me to start? Lol

Found some more pictures-

At the end of my first Olympic tri
    qweuiwkgjt36.jpg

One of my best friends in Southern Maine:
    pibvq8vcywlp.jpg

Maine's version of a beach. Check out the tan lines
    soa44tgj5nax.jpg
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What the hell? Take up rowing and go get a gold medal.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    What the hell? Take up rowing and go get a gold medal.

:D My upper body is my weakness. I'm all calves!
    It's funny, I was never ever good at sports growing up. Always picked last in gym class, terrible coordination, couldn't throw a ball to save my life.
    The great thing about tris is that you need to just be average at three sports instead of great at one to be faster than most other competitors. I am still a slow runner (though I've dropped 30 minutes from my 1/2 marathon time), but I'm stronger on the bike and swim and my transitions are fast. So my goal has always been to get far enough ahead by the end of the bike that someone running 1-2 minutes per mile faster can't make up the time gap.

When it comes to hiking, well, I firmly believe anyone can do that, as long as you know your limits.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Great post. I didn't get into hiking/backpacking until I was in my 50's. Wish I had done it sooner. Love the beautiful scenery and doing longer and more strenuous hikes.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I read the whole thing. Not too long. SO inspiring.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I am about the same size as you.... 5'8 and 169 lbs.... started around 210 and my lowest was 159, and I went from obese to running Spartan races. What an amazing feeling! It really is life changing. What is your goal weight? I would like to get under 160.
  • alexshir
    alexshir Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are amazing. You have accomplished so much in your young life. I'm pushing 60 and wish I could go back to when I was your age and have a do-over in the fitness realm. Continue to reach for the stars or the mountains and you will go far. You look amazing and don't ever doubt yourself and how far you have come.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    Nice job! I am about the same size as you.... 5'8 and 169 lbs.... started around 210 and my lowest was 159, and I went from obese to running Spartan races. What an amazing feeling! It really is life changing. What is your goal weight? I would like to get under 160.

I'm also shooting for about 160. I got down to 165 on the trail (burning 5-6000 calories a day will do that), but I put a little back on when I came home because going from 5000 calories to 2000 a day is hard! LOL
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You go girl!! My home state is Maine!! You brought back great memories. Be proud of you!!!
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    djwar9858 wrote: »
    You go girl!! My home state is Maine!! You brought back great memories. Be proud of you!!!

Thank you! I LOVED Maine. Mt. Katahdin is like no other place in the world. So magical
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this! You are amazing! Triathlete here too btw :)
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You're a true inspiration, wish I had your courage at your age x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!