Lacking support!

Options
Hey guys,

How do you all manage to stay motivated if you don't have support from the people who live with you??

Replies

• fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Not to sound flip...This is about you, not about them. Lead by example. You will always have critics. You will sometimes make friends along the way.

Do some searching here on the boards and you will find this topic come up often and the responses are not too different.

ETA; Don't discuss your plans or intentions with any one unless they are genuinely interested (and sometimes that's not always a great idea). Just do it on your terms.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What kind of support do you need?

This is your own journey and you just need to keep eating less calories than you burn.
  • iamimagine
    iamimagine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with that too Beth. Down over 12 so far. For now, when it's hard, I leave the room or the house if I feel my willpower is threatened. I don't discuss what I'm doing ever. Let 'em think I quit. Keep going and keep it guarded. Never brag about achievements. Those will show down the road. I also get a big attitude in my head, like "You'll regret not supporting me when I lose it all." And I read a lot of inspiring quotes.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    fitin50s2 wrote: »
    Not to sound flip...This is about you, not about them. Lead by example. You will always have critics. You will sometimes make friends along the way.

Do some searching here on the boards and you will find this topic come up often and the responses are not too different.

ETA; Don't discuss your plans or intentions with any one unless they are genuinely interested (and sometimes that's not always a great idea). Just do it on your terms.

Gotta agree with this! I keep quiet for the most part everywhere but here. My coworkers don't know. At best they'd be annoying about it; at worst, I'd have to punch someone for being an idiot :wink: My husband knows obviously, but he's almost learned to quit asking me if I can eat certain foods. I tell him I can eat anything I damn well please! It's the amounts that matter lol. My weight loss related outlet is MFP.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    use the support on mfp. plenty of people here trying to lose weight, gain weight, chit chat, etc
    i lost weight on my own, with all the treats still at home.
    good luck
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Support? What's that? Have you tried clearly communicating to your housemates the support you want them to give you?

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is about you! I have only one friend in my circle who I discuss my losses with. She is a beachbody couch, and although she knows I will never follow the 21 Day Fix etc, she is 100% my support. Everyone else? I hear 'you don't need to lose' or 'I can't see it' <-- that one is cause I don't wear form fitting clothes to work ever!

Do this for you! Set goals and non food related rewards for yourself. Don't worry about others. Cause the minute you try to tell everyone, they will tell you 50+ ways on why YOUR method isn't gonna work and how 'insert fad diet here' is the only way you will ever lose.
  • madamso1
    madamso1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    fitin50s2 wrote: »

Gotta agree with this! I keep quiet for the most part everywhere but here. My coworkers don't know. At best they'd be annoying about it; at worst, I'd have to punch someone for being an idiot :wink: My husband knows obviously, but he's almost learned to quit asking me if I can eat certain foods. I tell him I can eat anything I damn well please! It's the amounts that matter lol. My weight loss related outlet is MFP.

Im opposite of these guys I tell everyone I know that I'm going to lose 50 lbs this year and then laugh. I talk a big game and even put some money down to back up my big talk. Now I have a whole audience watching if I succeed or fail. This keeps me accountable. Now I have to walk the walk. A lot of people ask if I've lost weight and comment that they've noticed a change. Of course I'm counting my calories and work out 6 days a week to make sure that every weekly weigh-in shows a smaller number than the week before.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    > How do you all manage to stay motivated if you don't have support from the people who live with you??

You have to support yourself and have self reliance. This is not unreasonable.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The moment you start basing your journey on the support of others is when you fail.
    If i had never gone to the gym because my co worker kept "forgetting her gym clothes"... id of never gone.
    If i had listened to all the people tell me what they think i should be doing to lose weight.. id of never lost.
    If i expected everyone else to do certain things so that i could lose weight in a safety bubble with no temptations or influences.. i would of never learned anything.
    You have to do you. Being around people living their usual lives is training, you can't expect people to not eat things around you or buy only certain things or do certain things around you do you arent tempted to slip up, this is life, you gotta conquer those hurdles so you have the skills to maintain your loss at the end.

You're a wise 1, always <3 your posts & especially when, they're comical! :D
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss - Completely agree with what you are saying - very insightful and wise

... but I am a grammar pedant. It's "I'd have never" not "I'd of never". I know we say it "I'd 'av never" and it sounds like "I'd of never" so it's a common mistake.

OP - listen to @Look_Its_Kriss
  • TheBrocheter
    TheBrocheter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I live with all men, and they want nothing to do with "rabbit food" as they call it. I use the forums here, call my mom, or use the mirror as my own support system. Every time I want to eat bad or give up, I stand in front of the mirror and I look at what I am, then imagine what I could be.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    The moment you start basing your journey on the support of others is when you fail.
    If i had never gone to the gym because my co worker kept "forgetting her gym clothes"... id of never gone.
    If i had listened to all the people tell me what they think i should be doing to lose weight.. id of never lost.
    If i expected everyone else to do certain things so that i could lose weight in a safety bubble with no temptations or influences.. i would of never learned anything.
    You have to do you. Being around people living their usual lives is training, you can't expect people to not eat things around you or buy only certain things or do certain things around you do you arent tempted to slip up, this is life, you gotta conquer those hurdles so you have the skills to maintain your loss at the end.

You're a wise 1, always <3 your posts & especially when, they're comical! :D

LOL thank you <3

You're very welcome! <3