Food Addiction and Back Injury

Options
I am an addict by nature. I think in my adult years and due to having a job that is strictly anti-substance abuse (i drive a bus) I have clearly turned to food as my addiction. It happened without my even realizing it. I have conquered basically every addiction except for this food thing. I can do good for awhile and then fall off the wagon. I am not sure how to conquer this one. I have difficulties with binges and always want to purge after but rarely do. I am working on getting approved for weight loss surgery because I really dont think i can do this on my own. To compound problems I have been unable to exercise for 6 months due to 2 herniated discs in my back. The constant pain and lack of exercise have exacerbated the eating troubles and in a matter of 6 months I have gained 50 pounds. I am so ashamed, mad, irriatated, and depressed with myself for letting myself go and dealing with this constant pain that no doctors seem to be able to fix. Its really trying my psyche.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the addiction or how to fix my back or get my crap together again???

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you tend to binge you are not a good candidate for bariatric surgery. Bingeing with a surgically altered stomach could kill you.

Before I went for surgery I attended a group therapy class where we talked all things emotional about food. I was able to put a lot of my behaviours in to perspective. Something like that might help you.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Also very helpful for both pain and obesity is the eight week program and companion book,

https://www.bullpub.com/catalog/Living-a-Healthy-Life-with-Chronic-Conditions-4th-Edition
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A few things I've noticed working with people having the same issues.

1) talk to a professional who deals with disordered thoughts and feelings towards food.
    Georgie Fear comes to mind since I refer people to her often.
    2) balance your intake during the week so your physiology doesn't force you to obsess over food/drink. So higher volume, nutrient dense food. Think protein heavy salads.
    3) Seek alternative help for the pain if your doctor's cannot figure out the issues.

It sucks! But you have the resources to pull through and come up with solutions.

Best of luck.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

I have difficulties with binges and always want to purge after but rarely do.

"Rarely"? So, you purge sometimes but not often? You also mention feeling ashamed, mad, irritated and depressed. While weight loss is a frustrating process at times, the words you're using to describe your feelings about yourself feel like red flags to me. I think you need to speak to your doctor and/or a therapist.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Success with Else will still be determined by your ability to control what you eat. That is why so many people gain back a lot of the weight they lose. That isn't to say don't do it, but you still need to address the underlying issues.

OA might be a good fit for you.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds identical to mine! I drive a delivery truck, have herniated discs in my neck and because of a recent injury (dog mauling) I have gained 45 lbs. quickly. I also am addicted to food and have beaten other issues with no problem, like cigs and pain meds. I have considered the surgery but my brother really had health issues after his and I'm afraid of it. I just got over a really bad virus where I lost 16 lbs. in 10 days and decided to try to keep the ball rolling. We can do this..we have to!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is primarily a behavioral issue. Can you find another thing to distract you. Maybe a hobby like knitting, crochet or adult coloring books? Also, if you can afford therapy, it could help.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You say you've kicked other addictions (and they it was substance abuse then power to you, I've seen first hand how hard that is). Can you apply those strategies to food? The good news, as said above, is that food itself isn't an addictive substance, it's the behaviours and habits we create/develop that make it difficult. So that's what needs to be addressed.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to stop eating, you just have to stop overeating.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Couple things...

First, if you are addictive by nature then weight loss surgery will be pointless. It's the underlying reasons you turn to repetitive destructive behaviors that need to be addressed.

Second, when I lost my weight, nearly every single pain and health issue disappeared, and I had lifelong back issues. Getting my nutrition under control as well as my weight led to . . .health!

I agree that OA or some kind of therapy might help you. Whatever trauma or hole you have, it can be healed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The following thread has info about OA, CBT, Rational Recovery and Smart Recovery, which are for non-food substances, but have techniques which can be applied to food as well: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10508754/oa-sugar-trigger-food
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    That is a great post above by Kriss.