Do you try to limit your sugar intake or do you only care about calories?

Options

Replies

• leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my sugar for sure. Not naturals sugar from fruit etc.. but anything extra. I find once I start, even if it's sugar in my coffee.. I want more. Same with diet sodas or sweeteners, so I just try to stay clear of them altogether.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love candy. LOVE it. That being said, I have to watch my fat intake and my sugar intake. I try to find low sugar foods to eat to satisfy that.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't eat as much as I used to, but I don't track it. I still have something sweet nearly every day.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    No cares given about sugar. Only care bout calories. :) It's been working for me. Plus, as long as I don't eliminate something from my diet, I tend to not crave it exceptionally hard. Right now, I want yogurt. I will have a small helping of yogurt, then I'm good with yogurt. Later I may want french fries, so I'll go to McDonalds and get myself a kid's fries (only 100 calories!). As long as it fits, huzzah.

Sugar is in everything that's delicious, and it's 100% natural (if you're worries about natural vs. synthetic things, which I also don't worry about thanks to extensive lab testing prior to release for consumer use, but that's an entirely different conversation). Enjoy it (in moderation, aka: within your calorie allotment)!
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I stay away from processed foods for the most part. If I go over my sugar limit, it is normally with fruits (including dried) and/or vegetables which is okay by me. I do allow myself a dark chocolate square or dark chocolate covered almonds as part of my sugar intake as my "dessert" at the end of the day. If you want to kick the sugar habit, I would do as other suggest which is to focus on proteins and if you are going to have fruit - lemon, lime or a just barely yellow banana have less to no sugar.

Ultimately for me, I accept it and limit processed type foods and watch caloric intake.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I focus on my calorie intake and then eating a varied and balanced diet full of all the foods I like. I don't pay any attention to my sugar intake and have had no problems hitting my weight and health targets :)
  • mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I found that any liquid sugars contribute to visceral fat rather quickly so I cut those sugars out. Maybe once a week I'll have a mocha, or a cocktail with friends, but that's it. I feel the sugar rush now when I do drink and also found that I don't like the feeling. I do LOVE chocolate though...so I don't keep it in the house :)
    Natural sugars from fruits and such, I don't worry about at all.
    Those artificial sugars, which I'm happy I can't stand, were a no-go for me after reading up on them. I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything or sacrificing at all, just a choice.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    I don't track it and I allow it in my diet, however I do limit processed sugar simply because of the calories. A banana has fewer calories than a doughnut. Both satisfy my sweet tooth, but I know which one I'd rather have every day. If I do a long run, I'll enjoy some ice cream or an oatmeal cookie because I have burned enough calories for them to fit in my diet. If I have calories left at the end of the day, I'll have a piece of chocolate or some pudding.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sugar is in everything!
    Nonsense. Of course it isn't!

No sugar isn't a worry to me in the slightest. Never tracked it as it's just a subset of carbs.
    Your body and digestion also doesn't differentiate between sources of sugar.

I focus on the broader aspects on an overall healthy diet and lifestyle and don't obsess over particular parts of my diet.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Agree with what most have said. I don't track sugar, but I do track macros. I use another website for my macro calculations (if it fits your macros).
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar (because counting sugar from vegetables is dumb for me) , however I do consciously avoid foods with sugar in them :) apart from the odd bit of dark chocolate here and there :p
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mdrolle wrote: »
    I found that any liquid sugars contribute to visceral fat rather quickly so I cut those sugars out. Maybe once a week I'll have a mocha, or a cocktail with friends, but that's it. I feel the sugar rush now when I do drink and also found that I don't like the feeling. I do LOVE chocolate though...so I don't keep it in the house :)
    Those artificial sugars, which I'm happy I can't stand, were a no-go for me after reading up on them. I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything or sacrificing at all, just a choice.
    Where did you find that out? Never heard of this.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

You've not heard of it because there's no science behind it. The whole "added sugar is evil" thing is massively blown out of proportion. Added sugar is bad not because it is inherently different to natural sugar, but because it's put in foods that don't need additional sugar to be tasty, such as bread, which adds calories which don't need to be there, and people don't pay attention. If added sugars were bad but fruit sugars ok, diabetics wouldn't need to be careful about fruit sugars, but they do have to be.

Eating too many calories is what causes over-fatness, visceral or otherwise. Whether those calories come from added sugars or bananas it doesn't matter.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Sounds like a delicious thing to mix with my rum.... I hope its in canada :D

I'll meet you at the border with some cherry coke zero, in return I want some Labatt Light (the one with the polar bear) or maybe a jug of Gibson's Rye whiskey for my hubby. :D
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I only worry about calories - if it fits in my goal for the day, I'll eat or drink it. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

You've not heard of it because there's no science behind it. The whole "added sugar is evil" thing is massively blown out of proportion. Added sugar is bad not because it is inherently different to natural sugar, but because it's put in foods that don't need additional sugar to be tasty, such as bread, which adds calories which don't need to be there, and people don't pay attention. If added sugars were bad but fruit sugars ok, diabetics wouldn't need to be careful about fruit sugars, but they do have to be.

Eating too many calories is what causes over-fatness, visceral or otherwise. Whether those calories come from added sugars or bananas it doesn't matter.

You're preaching to the choir here. ;)

I was asking the person I quoted about the rather specific reference he made to liquid sugar being the apparent cause of visceral fat. Because that's a new one in my books.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Sounds like a delicious thing to mix with my rum.... I hope its in canada :D

I'll meet you at the border with some cherry coke zero, in return I want some Labatt Light (the one with the polar bear) or maybe a jug of Gibson's Rye whiskey for my hubby. :D

I like the way you think. Deal!
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic so yeah, I watch sugar. Including naturally occurring sugars. That's not to say I don't have any of them, just that I limit them. The odd piece of chocolate or cake isn't the end of the world.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I focus on having a well rounded, balanced, and nutritious diet.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Since the New Year, I've tried to greatly reduce added sugar because I am sensitive to it and in an effort to not gain as much winter weight as I did last year. I love sweets and crave sugar. I am also on the path to Type 2 diabetes. I am focusing eat whole foods and reducing my consumption of packaged foods, which has resulted in lower sugar.

The other day I had my first sweet (homemade cookie) since New Years. It tasted rather sweet. Unfortunately, for me, sugar is all or nothing -- if I let myself have it I just want more. So I think I have limit it more than other people.