Shirataki Noodles... Miracle noodles

Options
tevva
tevva Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So the other night my boyfriend (who lived in Japan for 5 years) was craving some really good sukiyaki. Ever since he got back he hadn't been able to find a certain type of noodles that went with it. I got a vague description from him and went to the grocery store. I searched for a bit, then just looked up an authentic sukiyaki recipe on my phone. I quickly found the shirataki noodles and went home. He was ecstatic, they were exactly what he had been searching for. A few days later I was adding them to this app and was shocked to find that the entire bag of noodles was only 20 calories! It was my turn to be elated, I checked Amazon and found a ton of variety of it. Rice, spaghetti, fettuccine, and a big helping being so few calories. It really gives me some more leeway in my diet and it tastes great too!

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love them! Some people don't like them because they are so chewy but they are super filling and a great pasta substitute. Just make sure you are getting the ones without Soy because the soy ones are higher in calories. They're still a bargain but the regular ones are super low. Enjoy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I only like them in Asian dishes...I do not like them for spaghetti substitution for example...texture is just way off from pasta.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I only find the texture to be different if you microwave them.

If you stir fry them with spices and soy sauce they are great.

Edit to add that I have been eating these in the UK for 10 years, just starting to be in the shops rather than mail order.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I buy both. I eat the one with soy. I usually get them in the form of angel hair. I buy the rice that has nothing added. I love them. I eat either the angel hair or rice every day with all types of food. Rarely do I eat them in Asian dishes. I usually volumize Asian dishes with shredded cabbage
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Used them in a recipe last week! I wanted to make noodles in spicy peanut sauce and, as I was feeding ingredients into the recipe tracker, I noticed that the calories-per-serving was up over 800 and I hadn't finished putting all the ingredients in, yet! (1 lb flat rice noodles, 5 tbsp oil, and 1/2 cup of peanut butter for 4 servings can run those numbers up...)

I tried it with 4 bags of shirataki noodles and... down below 400/serving! (Also was able to cut back on 1 tbsp oil; 3 of those were for tossing the noodles and I didn't need more than 2.)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time. I like to drain and rinse them well, and I like to chop them into small pieces. Seems to help with the texture to have them chopped smaller.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Just bought a small bag of these at a "high end" grocery store. Overpaid for them but haven:t seen them on the shelf b4 and wanted to give them a try. If I like 'em, I' ll buy more at a cheaper price online.
  • Taura1966
    Taura1966 Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I LOVE yam noodles! I eat them for one meal, almost every day. This has really helped me to keep my carbs low. Yesterday, for lunch, I made yam noodles with chicken breast and broccoli. It took less than 15 minutes, prep + cook, and was delicious!

Chicken + Broccoli w Yam Noodles - Rinse & boil 1 8oz package of yam noodles, then fry in a dry pan until white & "squeaky". Add Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce), 6 ounces of chicken breast and two cups of broccoli. Stir fry until meat is cooked and broccoli is tender. Add seasoning to taste. (I used onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and 'Mrs Dash'.) - 265 calories.

• annabee88
    annabee88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really like konjac noodles but only really had success with them in Asian dishes.
  • mona3256
    mona3256 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    agree they are better in Asian dishes, and if you stir fry them rather than microwave. They are super filling.

I've found them in Sainsbury's and Ocado, as well as Amazon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try the yam shirataki noodles but my supermarkets only carry the soy. I didn't see any of these cooked noodles at the Asian store last time I went, but I may have been looking in the wrong place. It's a BIG store. I do have the dried konjac noodles but they are much more caloric that what we are talking about here.

Like other posters, I would only use these in Asian dishes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Finding the Better Than Noodles brand was a revelation for me. They were so much better than House brand.

I love them for stir fries or Asian soups. That brand Noel mentioned sounds good.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Finding the Better Than Noodles brand was a revelation for me. They were so much better than House brand.

I love them for stir fries or Asian soups. That brand Noel mentioned sounds good.
    I actually like the House brand better. However I've only had The Better than brand rice not the noodles. Now I buy the miracle brand rice and house brand noodles. I use them in all dishes. I love it. Today I'll have the rice with my southwest fajita bowl. Yummy
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Huge fan. :smiley:
  • SimplySmylin
    SimplySmylin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've heard not so good reviews on the noodles due to smell and texture. What exactly is the texture and when you cook them, does the odor go away? I'm interested in trying them, but I am the only one in my family willing to try them. I don't want to spend the money, if it is something that will turn my stomach due to smell or sliminess.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I love them. I would eat two bags at a time. I question the amount of soy in them...I would stick to the traditional ones if you eat them often.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For those of you curious about the odor...you have to dry fry them. Not just rinse.