Eating 1200, gaining weight

Options
Luseil
Luseil Posts: 11 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've started a new workout routine, Dailyburn 365 for 30 min + 45 min Elliptical and I eat 1200 on zero exercise days and 1400-1500 on exercise days. I weigh 120 and my goal was 110.

I log weights weekly and the number has started to go up but my measurements down. I figure this is because I'm gaining muscle, but should I reevaluate my goal weight? Or go for goal measurements?

Right now I'm at a loss because the rising number is making me feel like I'm failing in some way. What can I do to make this work for me?

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As long as the measurements go down, keep doing what you're doing.
    Nice work!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not muscle. Possibly water retention from your new workout. Are you logging accurately? Using a food scale for all solids, Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? Using accurate entries? Using the recipe builder?
  • Luseil
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes I just got my first food scale a few weeks ago and weigh everything and measure all of my liquids as well though I generally don't drink calories and I use the recipe builder for everything I make at home.

I'm loving the new workouts I'm actually tired after them and feel like I'm getting stronger!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What do you mean the "number has started to go up". You mean you have seen a trend, for weeks now, of steady weight gain? Or did you step on the scale once or twice and see a pound or two more than expected?

Big difference.

You can retain water from beginning new exercise.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    As others said, this is likely water weight due to your new exercise routine. Although you may be getting stronger, you're not "gaining muscle" at 1200-1500 calories.
    The water weight should subside after a few weeks
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you are losing in inches, I wouldn't worry about the scale so much. If you are tracking body measurements in MFP, you can use this as a gauge.
  • Luseil
    Options
    I'll put it up to water weight then, I increased exercise two weeks ago and have gained a pound since instead of losing a pound
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    maybe you are pregnant. i worked out so hard and weighed 123 lbs. my weight went up each week until i had gained 20 lbs and couldn't figure it out. sure enough, pregnant!
  • Luseil
    Options
    There's a lot of cardio and body weight exercises in my new routines so I'm going to give it a few weeks and see how measurements vs weight goes. Luckily pregnant is not a possibility for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    As @bbell1985 asked, do you weigh once a week, or do you weigh daily using a trending weight app or web site to judge your longer term weight level while discounting faster water weight changes?

A trend of consistent weight increase is different than two snapshots of your weight a week apart.

Water weight changes over a week can be much larger than a 1-2kb a week loss you may be setup for.

Use a trending weight app or website. Ignore a 1-2lb week to week variation especially if it goes against corroborating evidence.