Options
fitness1398
fitness1398 Posts: 11 Member
edited February 2017 in Motivation and Support
Decided to try something that
a) I'm not good at and
b) scarced to death to do

RUN.

Yes I know it's silly but I was never into sports, I was a clumsy child. It's hard enough to learn moves in cardio videos without looking ridiculous.

So to force myself and face my fear I'm going to do a 10 km marathon in the end of May. I'd love to add some peeps who can encourage me and I'll return the favour.

Replies

• runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Add me if you want, I'm training for a half marathon row on erg (rowing machine) in May. It's a challenge just cause I think it's good to do something that's scary big every so often that you think you can't do!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Have fun with it. Your goal is definitely reachable.

I started running in mid-December, after 51 years of avoiding it except when forced to do it to train for other sports. After 18 mos. on an elliptical, and getting really bored with that, I started with C25K. That was too easy after the elliptical, so after doubling up its workouts for a few weeks I just started running. First 20 minutes straight, then 30, then 45, etc. Today, I ran my first 10K (distance, not a race). It took me 1:20. My goal is to do it in less than an hour by mid-April.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Running is great
  • brdoyle8
    brdoyle8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey! I started training January 1st, my goal is to get to a 5K and then 10k. Hated running, did track and cross country for years, quit and gained a ton of weight. Rediscovering my love for running. Add me if you want!
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love running! It took me awhile to get there. It's a great feeling to accomplish a new distance, or a new time. What I love about running is that it's dedicated time just for me. I'm happy for you!
  • MoodyFoodie23
    MoodyFoodie23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Any apps or websites on how to begin? I'm pretty hefty and used to mostly lifting so I'd have to start easy. Anything you guys can suggest to ease me into running?
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Regarding apps:

I used C25K, as I mentioned above. It is designed to take you from not running at all to running a 5K. It starts with short intervals of running with lots of walking in between and then progressively increases the length of the runs over time until you are just running. Lots of people have used it and love it. I liked it, except that it was too easy after I had used the elliptical for so long, but that wasn't the fault of the app. My wife is using it now and really likes it.

My 17 year-old son recently started using an app called Zombies, Run! 5K. It is similar to C25K with a similar progressive walking/running interval plan, but designed around a zombie story. Every time the zombies appear, you run. He loves it and has done it a few times already.
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I did my first C25K session today! I hate running and I suck at it. I was a sprinter when I was young. The 400 was something I loathed. I ran the 100 and that was enough for me. My main sport was softball. I only had to run the bases! I was pretty fast back in the day...... not so much now!
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I echo the comments about C25K- really good program to get you started, you can repeat week if you need to and it offers a sense of routine and achievement. Remember to take it slow though - I used to try and run as fast as I could when I first started and really struggled. Speed will come in time
  • bpperez0607
    bpperez0607 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too used the Couch to 5K program when I started, and agree that it's a great tool for new runners. I also recommend finding a local running group to join. For people new to running, it's SUPER intimidating to go to the first meet-up, but if you find the right group of people you'll not only gain an instant support network - you'll also learn new skills. After losing 80 pounds I started a run/walk program which I followed faithfully for a few months, but my biggest improvement came after I started running with a group (plus they introduced me to some great new routes). I have finished several half-marathons and one full and can tell you the view from the back of the pack is awesome! Stay committed, and enjoy the journey.
  • Mermaidtriathlete
    Mermaidtriathlete Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    May I suggest intervals? Walk a few minutes, then jog or go all out for 1. Adjust accordingly. The Galloway method is an effective way to ease into it. Far less wear and tear on the body. I did my first half marathon, 13.1 miles in 2014 at 45 years old. Good Luck! I hate running too but I love how I feel!
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here "C25K" and it's amazing. Everyone there is so helpful, supportive, and encouraging. They also have a "Bridge 210K" group for after 5K.