I wanna run!!!

Options
Ok so I've NEVER been a runner! My excersize of choice is walking 3.5mph for about 80 minuets a night 5 nights a week. Its just under 4 1/2 miles. Now that I'm getting a little more in shape I'd LOVE to run instead of walk. The problem is I don't wanna push my body too far. You know like i don't wanna puke or pass out lol. So here's my question,how do I introduce running to my out of shape body??

Thanks for ANY advice!
Kim

Replies

• vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    Start off slowly! For example, one night jog 5 minutes then walk the rest of the way. The next night, try 8-10 minutes. Keep increasing your time slowly each night. This will help slowly introduce your body to a more intense cardio workout. If you feel that you can't do 10 minutes, back off and only do 7. Increase the time at which you feel most comfortable & don't get discouraged!! :)

Remember to get good pair of running shoes!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Start small and slow. Don't push yourself to go too fast or too far. I'd recommend walking your usual distance and add a 2 min jog to the end of it. Next day try going for 3 mins. And so on.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Look up C25K.
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    Check out the couch to 5k program...it trains in intervals, as previous poster suggests. You'll do just fine! Have faith in yourself. :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Use the Couch to 5K program (C25k). There is an app for it for your iphone/ipod/android phone that tells you when to walk or run. Or you can do it with a watch.

Or it's here on the website.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I just finished W5D3!! OMG it felt good. I have NEVER been a runner before but I love it now. It starts you out slowly and builds you up so you really "can't" fail. When I first got here I couldn't do it because my knees couldn't take it at my starting weight (242lbs) but once I lost some it was much easier :D
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Look up C25K.

Ditto this - it has a very well defined schedule to get you from walking to jogging/running. The biggest thing to remember is to not try to go too fast - the slower you go, the longer you can sustain it.
  • mamathrash2
    mamathrash2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K program might be a good thing to use also. Each week it increases your running time and by week 9 you are able to run a 5K (3.2 miles)! It's a free program that you can download on your IPod-just google it to find the program! Good luck :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    slow and steady increases in speed...do 5 minutes walking and add 1 minute slow jogging (or less, if 1 minute is too much! I started with 15 second intervals in February)

check out Couch25k, Jeff Galloway Run/Walk Programs, "Run Your Butt Off" (that last one is a book by the editors of Runners' World.

You can do it! Good luck! :)
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am doing this right now! i am NOT a runner at all.. but here is what i have been doing

ive been walking an hour a day for a while now...

i got bored, and upped it to two hours! the two hours bored me to death. so i decided to throw some running in there, which is what i did tonight.

i run/walk at a park that has a walking trail... so what I do is I walk walk walk walk then pick a point where I will run to and from. then I will walk the rest of the way then run some more. then walk some more catch my breath relax then run again. I did this for two hours and I feel great!! start out nice and slow/easy do not kill yourself or pass out. if youre running out of breath stop.. walk... catch your breath then run some more.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try the free Couch to 5k program, it starts with walk/jog(or run) intervals and builds up to running a 5k. Also, get one of the free podcasts to help you time the intervals without having to look at your watch. It's really fun--Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I vote c25k as well. I was not a runner before I started (like...at all), and now I'm in week 7 and love it.
  • waltzingfree
    waltzingfree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was just going to suggest what the last two people mention - the Couch to 5k program works on intervals, which is what I've just started myself. So the first week, you go 60 seconds running, 90 second walking. As a very much not-runner, I have found it to be really amazing and encouraging. I don't feel too sore the next day, and I feel like I've done myself a lot of good.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Try Couch to 5K. It introduces running to you slowly. You walk for a minute, then jog/run for a minute, then back to walking a minute, then jog/run a minute, etc. Since I can't watch a stopwatch while I'm walking/jogging, I just pick two points that jog between them. So I start jogging at the 3rd driveway and stop at the 6th driveway. I ALWAYS make it to that 2nd point, but sometimes I'll change it and run to the 8th driveway (or tree, or parked car, or stop sign, or whatever... just something stationary that won't move on you.)

Good luck!!!
  • summer_of_69
    summer_of_69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In addition to couch to 5k program (google for it), i recommend Jeff Galloway's running program (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/index.html). Galloway promotes a run/walk/run program that lets you build up safely. I've run two marathons doing 1 minute run/1 minute walks the whole way using his system and it has made running fun for me. The benefits of run/walk/run are that 1) you go farther, 2) you go faster, and 3) you have fewer injuries.

good luck, and way to go to get yourself to the point of wanting to and being ready to start running!
    Ok so I've NEVER been a runner! My excersize of choice is walking 3.5mph for about 80 minuets a night 5 nights a week. Its just under 4 1/2 miles. Now that I'm getting a little more in shape I'd LOVE to run instead of walk. The problem is I don't wanna push my body too far. You know like i don't wanna puke or pass out lol. So here's my question,how do I introduce running to my out of shape body??

Thanks for ANY advice!
    Kim
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    One more vote for Couch to 5K. It's awesome. This is from a woman who NEVER thought she'd like running. :bigsmile:
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wow ok couch to 5k it is!!! I'll look it up and download it to my iPhone! I'm surprised at how excited I am to run/walk tomorrow!!! Thanks a ton guys!!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Wow ok couch to 5k it is!!! I'll look it up and download it to my iPhone! I'm surprised at how excited I am to run/walk tomorrow!!! Thanks a ton guys!!!

I'm excited for you! Stick with it. I promise the "runner's high" is a great thing! :)
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just looked it up on my phone apps,witch one should I get?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I did the elliptical for a long time which I feel helped me start jogging. When I saw I was doing 3 miles on the elliptical, then I said I must be able to jog now, tried it on a treadmill and was able to jog :D Now I am starting to run outdoors which is also more difficult than using a treadmill. Now just trying to improve on distance and time
  • MisMolly
    MisMolly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did C25K too and now I feel I can safely call myself a runner. I started and restarted C25K about a million times, jumped back in at the middle a few times and repeated days or weeks whenever I felt the need. I reccomend that...make the program your own and do what is comfortable for you. Push yourself sometimes and you will be super proud of what you can accomplish, but for the most part stick to a "slow and steady" mantra so you never find yourself hating or dreading your run.