Eating out

Options
What are good recommendations when eating out? Like if u are out and about and are stuck with drive thru options? Any ideas?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Something that fits into your calorie goal, something you enjoy, and something that will be satiating.
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dollar menus have smaller items with fewer calories in them. Have a burger or chicken sandwich but not the fries and soda, add a small salad ( most have them now). :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I generally wait until I get home. Or plan for it beforehand - either pick what I'm going to get, or pack a snack.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP, the answer as usual is "it depends." What are your usual mealtime calorie goals? When I was doing a 1200 calorie per day plan, my lunch was only around 300 calories. Dinner in the 400-500 range. There are lots of people on this site that are in maintenance or have higher caloric allowances that could probably post great fast-food selections for you but they might be over what YOU need for that meal. I eat at a pretty low calorie amount just for maintenance. When I see what others post as their allowances for lunch and dinner I'm always jealous!!!

Anyway, it would help if you stated what sort of range you are looking for then we could chime in with our favorites that fit that.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I always have fruit, protein bars and cup a soups in my car/work bag.

If any thing comes up then I just eat them and don't have to worry.
  • Mad_Goose
    Mad_Goose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always struggle when it comes to eating out. I get a lot of pressure to eat out from my friends and family and they always choose some small independent place that doesn't have any nutritional information available. So I just pick something healthy and hope for the best. Sometimes that means I don't lose that week. When I eat out and its my choice I like to go to Nando's they have lots of healthy choices and it has all the callories listed on the menue. I can get a nice meal from there for about 500 calls. There are other places that have nutritional info available on there web site, most of these places are chain resterants.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I eat out several times a week. Most restaurants have their menu's nutritional info online.
  • rachelleosborne80
    rachelleosborne80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will get a regular size hamburger, no cheese, no mayo. Smallest size of fries. And water. Ya fries are bad, but so good. Ha. Just do a little extra exercise that day :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I always go to wendys now and get their small hamburger delux ...Can cut out cheese and mayo to skimp on calories. Its 300 calories but id save on the fries/drink and itd hold me over until i got home to make beter decisions. Nothing says you have to have an entire meal there, I generally have it and then come home and eat a big plate of green beans with salt, Yum
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Extreme pita has some great options if you have them where you live. Or grocery store take-out, like sushi, rotisserie chicken, salad bar or soup.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I will get a regular size hamburger, no cheese, no mayo. Smallest size of fries. And water. Ya fries are bad, but so good. Ha. Just do a little extra exercise that day :)

Why are fries 'bad'?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Why are fries 'bad'?

I assume just because the calories and salt found in fast food fries XD Their universally known as pretty empty calories no one can deny that :p Their literally deep fried an just coated in salt. Stupid delicious fries now im craving them...

edit: looked up wendys a small fry has 290 calories, Could get a second burger for that XD Also wouldnt fries easily go under/over the calorie count depending on who packs the fry box. That alone would annoy me
  • AJbandit88
    AJbandit88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot, mainly because of lack of time at home to cook. But I have learned most of the fast food places in town (small town) have some pretty good choices that won't blow my Cal or carb goals. The trick is to look up their menu before hand on your phone and decide what you want depending on the nutrition info. It's a lot to start with but once you get going it's not bad at all. Just type in "McDonald's nutrition" and it should list that restaurants menu with info. Portion is also a big part of fast food. I was told early on by my dr. and others to not worry about throwing away food. It's better to throw away that last nugget or left over fries then to eat them just because. So if I order a medium fry at McDonald's just eat half. You will be amazed how many cals you will save just by watching portions.