How big Can I be

Harmony01
Harmony01 Posts: 2 Member
I want to run but I'm about 230 and I don't want to hurt my knees how slow is a slow start? I walk about 3 to 4 miles 6 days a week.

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    i'm heavier than that (about 260) and I jog/walk intervals of 30 secs to a minute for about 30 minutes a few times a week. I had knee pain the first time, but have since worked out that I was trying to run too fast. Listen to your body - uncomfortable is good, pain is not.
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Maybe start with running for a minute, walking for a minute (repeat) during the miles you already do. Welcome to MFP!!
  • I'm a little over 300 and have started the couch to 5 K program (has running intervals). I jog instead of run and stay at a good pace when I am. I did have to repeat week three a little...

You can do it! start slow :) and then keep going!
  • lightgirrl
    lightgirrl Posts: 1 Member
    I'm bigger than you and run a mile in under 15 minutes. Which is not very fast to most people but hey for a fat girl with asthma I think I'm doing ok. I would say you are not to big to run. Just take it slow till you know how your body will respond. If your knees can't handle running then try bike riding.
  • BeckyS32
    BeckyS32 Posts: 66 Member
    I am just starting the couch to 5k program. I have heard a lot of good things about it. You can read about the program on www.coolrunning.com . That is where I go to see what the workout for the week is. Hope this helps!
  • I used to weight 370 and I think the best thing for me was brisk walking :) thats awesome you walk that much :) great job
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Since you already have a good walking routine going, I would suggest doing the Couch to 5k program, it is a progressive series of walking/jog(or run) intervals that builds you up to running a 5k--it's free, and you can also get free podcasts to help you time the intervals. I was over 200 pounds when I did it and walked about the same as you. It surprised me how quick my body was able to jog/run! The best advice my marathoner friend gave me was to take small steps, placing your foot down carefully each time and to go at an easy pace to give your feet/knees/legs a chance to ease in and avoid injury. Over the weeks, you can push yourself more, just listen to your body to avoid injury. Also, a well fitting sportsbra is a MUST! I like the ones by Champion or CWX.
    Best of luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    I started running when I weighed about 250. You may want to look at Couch-to-5K and their running plan. It seems to be a great way to start. Just google it, and you will find the whole running plan and podcasts to go with it, there are also apps for your phone.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 582 Member
    I was 278 pounds when I started C25k (Couch to 5K). Check that program out. You can download a podcast that will tell you when to run and when to walk. You alternate between 30 seconds running and 90 seconds of walking and build up from there. It'll take you from couch potato to a runner in 9 weeks. I was amazed when I was able to jog for 20 minutes without stopping. Me! The same girl who was gasping for air and had muscle craps in her legs after 25 seconds of running.

You can do it!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    I'm a man but I'm well over that and I'm on week 3 of C25K workout and doing 3 min jogs with intervals of walking for about an hour every other day.
    I've had a motorbike accident a few years back that kinda hurt one of my knees pretty badly and being obese hasn't helped either. So I also had a bit of knee pain when I started but now its mostly ok.

I'd suggest you look into knee strenthening exercises, you can perhaps do them on your rest days to improve the strength of your knees.

By the way, C25K is a great starters workout, it starts with 1 minute jogs but if you feel that is too much you can always add a week before week 1 where you perhaps do 30s jogs.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you enjoy it.
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Yes look into the couch to 5k program
    If you don't have an iphone or ipod touch..
    try looking into
    kissmyblackass.org
    podcast -- it's the best hip hop one I've found thus far.
    i just downloaded them- renamed them according to their week!
    good luck!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Back when I ran, I did the Couch to 5K thing too, and found it an enormous success. I started running when I weighed about 300, got down to about 245, still a Clydesdale since I'm 6'1". It's an excellent and forgiving program, and I was slow, but able to do 5K every day of the week.

History wise, I had knee surgery (ACL + other stuff) 20 years ago after an accident, was doing this running jag about 5 years ago, and the whole time I was training, I never had any problem. But I ended up jacking my knee up running my first and only 5K race, but it was a technical problem with what I did, not the running itself (stepped stupid coming down hill). I would think that a trip to your doc to see how your knees are, and some research on appropriate stride, strike, etc., and you can greatly minimise the risk to your knees. But there are plenty of 300# folks who run and walk, so I can't see your weight being an issue.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    I don't run too much.... i have dodgy knees.

but i do find that if i am on the treadmill and do a little bit of jogging on the occasion, it hurts less if i do it on incline, and slowly... so even though i'm alot closer to my goal weight, i'll never be a runner, it's just not worth the injury risk for me, same and doing squat jumps in my boxing class, just don't do it, or jumping lunges in the attack class, recipe for disaster...
  • Harmony01
    Harmony01 Posts: 2 Member
    WOW.. thank all of you very much for your support. It means a lot. I feel very welcome here. Thank you for the motivation. I'll try it for sure and I'll let everyone know.
This discussion has been closed.