The best way to help a friend

Options
Is to tell them "No, put away the fork."

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Not your place unless asked.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That's a good way to get a fork in the face and/or lose a friend. *shrugs* If they aren't asking for help, it's none of your business.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The best way to got a fork in the thigh is to tell me to put it away.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I am too busy fighting myself to put the fork down

I would help out a friend if they asked but there really is only so much you can really do.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Dats cool.. I'll just eat with my hands B)
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    thats just going to make them eat more
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That's more like the best way to lose a friend.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent way to cop a punch in the nose AND the fork shoved somewhere the sun doesn't shine...
  • Giuliaborg
    Giuliaborg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think a good way to help a friend would be to compliment with them about how good they look in a new dress, or how happier or more energetic they seem to be. I wouldn't say anything about food habits because it can be offensive even if done with the best intentions.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the best way to help a friend is to be supportive in their goals and love them regardless.

telling them to put down the fork is not supportive. asking if they want to take a walk, or meal or snack prep, or go do another active, activity, is supportive.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Telling someone to "put down the fork" just makes them feel bad about eating anything but doesn't give them useful information for making sustainable healthy changes. That is not being a friend at all.
    The best way to help a friend is to listen to their goals and concerns and help them if they ask for help.
    If they want some help point them to tools like food diaries so they can see and track how many calories they are eating while meeting all their needs.
    If they come to you and say they always eat when they are upset, talking about different tools to manage emotions and stress might be useful. Therapy, art, music, meditation, exercise, gardening, etc.