17 Day Diet

Options
I did this a few years ago and lost 20 pounds. Recently started up again as I gained over the holidays....

I am on Cycle 1, Day 7 and 10 pounds down.

Anyone else on the 17 DD?

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago and it really worked well for my body. Was thinking of doing a round again starting today to get back in the swing of eating better & not snacking. I am very limited in what I can do workout-wise so it's been rough.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    What does this diet consist of ive never heard it? Well done on ur weight loss tho!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What does this diet consist of ive never heard it? Well done on ur weight loss tho!

The first stage is low carb....lots of water weight loss at first. Then you get to add carbs back in. Too restrictive for me. I've lost & regained. This time I'm not eliminating anything that I don't plan to eliminate for a lifetime.
  • MelKatMeow
    MelKatMeow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am on Cycle 1 Day 15 and down 10.5 lbs. I plan to go through all three cycles, maintain new lower weight for a few weeks, then go back on the diet for 3 cycles. I love this diet. I've gotten really creative with meals this time through.
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's 3 cycles and I lost weight with it about 5 years ago but really let a lot go after losing my Dad and leaving my business partnership and marital problems. My problem has never been eating too much....it's actually been the opposite. I skip meals, which throws my body into starvation mode so when I DO eat something, it holds onto it. Plus, after years of fertility treatments, miscarriages and age, it's harder for me to lose weight. I find that you have to find what works best for your body. My body responds better to high protein/low carb/low fat. And the 17 day diet is forcing me to eat regularly. The sugar detox was the hardest for me though, and I thought I didn't eat much sugar!

I plan on cycling a couple of times from Cycle 1 to Cycle to back to Cycle 1 and then Cycle 2. For me to keep it off, I need to change my lifestyle to be more conscious of not starving my body.

Starting weight was 219 (highest I have EVER been) on Day 1

Current weight is 208 on Day 10

It's not for everyone, but it obviously works for some.

You can get the book on amazon for a penny plus shipping. And there are tons of sites about it. https://17ddblog.com/food-lists/cycle-1/
  • uniquewrapz
    Options
    Initial weight loss is sometimes often higher when low carb is introduced.. Water weight is released.
    It really just sounds like a loop of restrictions over and over again... I would rather just eat to a calorie goal and lose

I have tried just restricting calories and that alone does not work for me

I think dieting is different for everyone, that's why there are so many choices!

Good luck in your journey!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Agreed with Kriss.

Starvation mode, as in restricting then eating normally does not cause the body to hold onto fat. If it did, no one would starve to death. Realistically, the only way anyone puts weight (fat) on is if they eat more calories than they need to maintain their current weight. This is the same for everyone. It's basic physiology.

I used to think I ate very little until I started tracking my calories by weighing all solid and semi solid food I consumed, measuring liquids and logging absolutely everything for a month. Yes, I did eat a small amount of food volume-wise, but tracking calories was a HUGE eye-opener for me. I was eating at least 500 calories over maintenance with very little food. My food choices were high calorie.

Try using a food scale for everything but liquids and logging everything you eat for at least 3 weeks. It works.
  • uniquewrapz
    Options
    Also for the record, skipping meals.. not eating for a day.. does not put the body into "starvation mode"

It sounds like you've honestly been taken in by a lot of crappy "science" that gets peddled around like the village bicycle. Its unfortunate because you seem like a really smart person who i think would have the ability to maintain a weight loss if you did it properly

No need to insult me. If you can't be nice, then don't comment. Not asking anyone to agree with me or even like what I say. I know what has worked for me and what hasn't.

Good luck on your journey.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    How does this diet differ from South Beach diet, atkins and the others that are no sugar, low carb or other 1200 calorie diets.
  • Ezzmie
    Ezzmie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did this a few years ago and lost 20 pounds. Recently started up again as I gained over the holidays....

I am on Cycle 1, Day 7 and 10 pounds down.

Anyone else on the 17 DD?

I'm starting back on this today - Cycle 1 Day 1 - I know it works for me. Gets me eating the right foods and holds me accountable. By the end of cycle 1 I'm not craving the carbs as much and am learning to make better choices.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    if you can lose all the weight you have to lose in 17 days sure, but once you even eat at maintenance your glycogen will replenish and you will gain back some water weight. I can promise you it is a physical impossibility to create enough of a deficit to lose 20lbs of fat in 17 days. You're better off learning about the mechanics of weight loss so you know what to do on day 18. you're suffering needlessly
  • miriamcastaneda1995
    Options
    I'm on the diet! I'm on day 2 cycle 1. I did all the cycles and lost 20 Ibs. Had a bumb in the road, my city was hit with the hurricane and it was hard to get high protein food I was eating canned food so I was off the diet for about a month and only gained 5Ibs! I've tried a lot of diets and I've tried MFP and I always gained the weight back. Every diet is different if its working thats great if its not try something else. Someone should start a group for 17dd.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did the 17 day diet from 2010 to 2013...my yoyo is very apparent actually..I have pics...

The problem with the 17 day diet is that is does not address why you are gaining the weight...it never talks about calories in vs calories out.

It is restrictive at first sort of...no starches but unlimited chicken...or turkey etc. then next phase no carbs after 4 etc.

start everyday with lemon juice in hot water...

wow...yup I lost weight on it...would get to the last "maintenance" cycle and not get why I was gaining...

Diets don't work as it means that you follow this plan, lose the weight...go back to "normal"...you need to find something you can do for the rest of your life.

For me it was this...MFP...weighing my food, logging it and I've been in maintenance for almost 3 years now...no more yo yo's...