Should I up my calories?

Options
Hi there! I just started a little over a week ago. In my first week, I dropped 3.2 lbs. I have activity level set to sedentary and it recommends I eat 1,200 calories a day. I am NOT active at this point. I am wondering if this weight loss is normal in the first week or if I should up my calories to lose 2 lbs per week?
Thanks for any input you can provide.
-Erica

Replies

• fiberopticjellyfishmfp
    Options
    A lot of that was probably water weight. It will slow down very soon
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum, so if you up it to 2 pounds per week you will still 1200 calories. 3.2 pounds is good! Why mess with something if it's working?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you're not trying to lose a large amount of weight overall, you won't even lose the 2 lb a week on 1200 calories because it won't be a true 1,000 cal/day deficit; it's just the lowest MFP will set you. The first week is usually a big loss of water weight - hang in for a while and see how it goes. 1 lb a week is likely a more sustainable rate of loss, long term.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The first week or two are (for many, but not all people) bigger losses. It will settle soon enough.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I would change to 1 pound per week loss rate. The 2 pounds per week rate generally puts your daily calorie goal below your BMR which is not healthy or sustainable long term.