The use of protein shakes

Options
I'm running a diet of around 1800 calories (7500kj) and whilst I do okay staying at or around this level of calories, my macros are always out. I normally hit my carbs and fat but protein i'm well short.

Will it aid my weight loss if I add a protein shake to the diet. I understand its not a miracle powder but will the addition of protein in term aid in muscle growth (train 2-3 times a week) that will in term aid my metabolic rate and thus..... aid my weight loss?

I'm not hungry to eat more food, more just trying to work out if my macros being out of whack is making it harder to lose weight.

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on your protein goals. However for muscle, most recommends a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein per lb weight. So you don't waste your gains away. Protein powder is simply convenience nothing more or less. You can get it from chicken breast, lean ground turkey etc too, or simply make a shake and drink.
  • skotj
    skotj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goals are after 180g of protein. I struggle to get to 100, hence the thought of shakes. Its the lowest calorie, high protein item i can think of.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    skotj wrote: »
    My goals are after 180g of protein. I struggle to get to 100, hence the thought of shakes. Its the lowest calorie, high protein item i can think of.

In this case, you would be using it exactly as intended: as a supplement to your existing diet, to fill a void.

Check out labdoor's protein powder rankings, pick one, and have at it.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I use my protein unflavoured whey isolate. It's less than 100 calories per scoop and you can mix with low fat milk or even water (though that's a bit yuk) Think it's around 25g of protein per scoop - can't remember
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I use my protein unflavoured whey isolate. It's less than 100 calories per scoop and you can mix with low fat milk or even water (though that's a bit yuk) Think it's around 25g of protein per scoop - can't remember

The unflavored isolate should be around 22g, iirc. I have the peanut cookie iso, and it's 21.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

The unflavored isolate should be around 22g, iirc. I have the peanut cookie iso, and it's 21.

Yeah you're right, I just checked.
    I use it on days when,for whatever reason,I know I won't hit my protein target. Plus I'm actually trying to gain so I mix it with full fat milk and quite enjoy it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much do you even weigh?

Aside from protein shakes, here is a good list of protein sources: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    skotj wrote: »

How are you figuring that you need 180g of protein? That sounds like a lot.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Either way, adding calories from a protein shake won't aid your weight loss unless you also subtract them somewhere else. You won't gain the kind of muscle that will make a difference in metabolic rate if you're eating in a deficit.
  • katjennings
    katjennings Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My protein shake routine has been a game changer for me because it is portable and an easy morning meal.
    I take it and then eat berries for breakfast. It took a week to feel full from just a shake, protein does help with hunger. Watch the sugar and the calories.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Increased metabolic rate from muscle gain is negligible. I would only consider increasing protein if you're in a progressive lifting program and trying to gain muscle.
  • mangzane
    mangzane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Increased metabolic rate from muscle gain is negligible

Studies have shown that a pound of muscle can increase your metabolic rate by up to 50 calories a day. That's an additional 350 calories a week!

Due to this, I would urge the OP to continue his diet plan, with the addition of protein shakes post workout, or as needed to hit their limit.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    mangzane wrote: »

Studies have shown that a pound of muscle can increase your metabolic rate by up to 50 calories a day. That's an additional 350 calories a week!

Due to this, I would urge the OP to continue his diet plan, with the addition of protein shakes post workout, or as needed to hit their limit.

That's an old myth that just won't die. Try maybe 10 Cals/day.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited February 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Even worse. It's more like 6.

Muscle is expensive to create, but cheap to maintain.
  • skotj
    skotj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Even worse. It's more like 6.

Muscle is expensive to create, but cheap to maintain.

Cheers for all the responses people. I weigh 84 kg at the moment but spend all day at my desk or in the car so don't really burn many calories whilst sitting on my butt.

I think i'll save the protein shakes for post workouts and not bother trying to reach my protein targets with the shakes.

I guess the challenge is to change up my diet so that i'm getting my calories through more proteins than the fats / carbs i'm eating.