any tips for groin strain?

Options
Can anyone offer any advice to overcoming groin strain?

I believe I made the classic mistake of running too far too soon and now paying the price!

Any good stretches or exercises to aid recovery?

Thanks

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ice
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that can cause pain in the groin besides a strained muscle. Rest for a week or so, and if it doesn't get better you might want to get to an orthopedist. I developed a pelvic stress fracture while training for my first half marathon. Later I ended up with what was probably Osteitis pubis in the same area. Neither should be ignored.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How severe is the strain? I've strained mine a few times all of which have been fairly minor. I just ran slower and did some more cross training for about a week and then I was back to normal.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If it's not a tear, I usually just run light every other day and get the blood flowing for faster healing. Of course if it's painful to run or walk for that matter, I'll sit back and do yoga as usual something like the frog pose and the like and just take it easy while alternating ice/heat at first then just heat after a day or two. This is just how my body responds well, but I'm sure there is a standard protocol someone will mention.
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    about 2 weeks ago it was really painful and caused me to limp slightly when walking.

now I can walk absolutely fine but feel when standing up from sitting....its like a sharp twinge in my inner thigh right up where my groin is. A doctor diagnosed it as groin strain.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    dawson002 wrote: »
    about 2 weeks ago it was really painful and caused me to limp slightly when walking.

now I can walk absolutely fine but feel when standing up from sitting....its like a sharp twinge in my inner thigh right up where my groin is. A doctor diagnosed it as groin strain.

I've had that during baseball season.

I ran at the slowest pace ever without pain or bad form do so. Not pres8s the pace or distance. Did some groin stretches afterwards, once again not going crazy. Just loosening up the muscle a touch.

I'm not suggesting you try thid, but it was right for me. Use common sense and follow doctor or physical therapist recommendations.