Advice on counting calories

Options
Hi, yesterday i was hanging out with friends, and i was offered a cupcake. I knew i had a good amount of calories left and it was late already so i just ate it... The problem lies when i got back home... Logging that is hard cause i don't know what's in it.. It is just a regular sized cupcake with frosting and one and half oreos on top. I usually struggle when i am eating from a local store. I don't eat out everyday tho..
So when i got back home, i've searched on google and on MFP.. But there's a huge difference between the suggestions. Most i see are close to 300 calories. I logged one which is close to 500 because i just overestimate in these situations.... What do you do in these situations? Any advice?

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Overestimate also
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Standard size cup cake with frosting is 350 calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I take a best guess and don't worry about it. If I'm over or under enough times then it is going to show up on the bathroom scale and I'll end up adjusting to account for it.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If it was a homemade one and fairly basic, I'd go with the 350. If it's one from a bakery with the thick, decorator frosting and heavy cake, I'd do 500 calories. But, yeah, for stuff like that, I just overestimate.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Best guess and move on.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'd pick a grocery store basic cupcake and then add the oreos separately.
  • skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. very helpful :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    i think 500 is fair, its what? 150-160 calories for 2 oreos, then you have the frosting then the cake

One and a half Oreos is only 70 calories.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I overestimate then enjoy what I'm indulging in and move forward.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    I'd pick a grocery store basic cupcake and then add the oreos separately.

Exactly what I would do
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    before eating it ask them what brand of cupcake it is, and then google calories
  • skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    SadDolt wrote: »
    before eating it ask them what brand of cupcake it is, and then google calories

It is not a brand, it is from a local bakery :)