Exercise help!

Options
Hi I'm new and I'm a college student. I only have 30mins-1 hr of time to work out. What good workout can you suggest? I'm trying 30DS but I think it's not enough. I can't go to the gym also. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• InsaneMontae
    InsaneMontae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?? To lose weight or bulk up
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    30 DS should be enough, if you feel its too easy then try lvl 2 or 3.

JM has lots of other workouts. Or you can buy brazillian butt lift. Most of those workouts are short and really fun!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong cycling for a good burn
  • tjnd88
    tjnd88 Posts: 26
    Options
    If you've got easy access to a pool, swimming is one of the best excercises you can do.
  • psychofied
    psychofied Posts: 138
    Options

to lose weight!

everyone: thank you for the suggestions! I'd like to go cycling but...I hate to admit it, I don't know how to ride the bike :p
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that the more important of the 2 components to weight loss is nutrition...and as a college student, you will be bombarded on a daily basis with the wrong kinds of foods to get you to your goals. Make sure that your nutrition is good and then add a workout on top of that.

And 30 mins - 1 hour is perfect. As long as you keep the intensity up, this is ideal for weight loss. You have a lower chance of over training on that schedule.

I haven't done the 30DS but I have heard that it is a good workout if you continue to add your own intensity. Make sure to push yourself as hard as you can go and be sure to increase to level 2 or 3 if needed as stated before.

You could go outside and do some interval sprints, too. I like to run about a minute and then sprint for about 15 seconds as fast as I can, and then repeat that over and over for about 10 minutes or so. I actually warm-up about 5 minutes, do about 10 minutes of steady state jogging, then do about 10 minutes of the interval sprints, then 10 minutes of jogging at a slower pace, then a cool-down. It's a nice 30-45 minute workout (depending on how long I do each part) and really works me out.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in running, try Couch to 5K. It is generally no more than a 30 minute workout, and in 9 weeks you will be ready to run a 5K.
  • psychofied
    Options
    I just wanted to add that the more important of the 2 components to weight loss is nutrition...and as a college student, you will be bombarded on a daily basis with the wrong kinds of foods to get you to your goals. Make sure that your nutrition is good and then add a workout on top of that.

And 30 mins - 1 hour is perfect. As long as you keep the intensity up, this is ideal for weight loss. You have a lower chance of over training on that schedule.

I haven't done the 30DS but I have heard that it is a good workout if you continue to add your own intensity. Make sure to push yourself as hard as you can go and be sure to increase to level 2 or 3 if needed as stated before.

You could go outside and do some interval sprints, too. I like to run about a minute and then sprint for about 15 seconds as fast as I can, and then repeat that over and over for about 10 minutes or so. I actually warm-up about 5 minutes, do about 10 minutes of steady state jogging, then do about 10 minutes of the interval sprints, then 10 minutes of jogging at a slower pace, then a cool-down. It's a nice 30-45 minute workout (depending on how long I do each part) and really works me out.

I know! Temptation is a big issue for me since my friends are all into junks. But I can resist it-- hopefully.
    Thank you for the suggestions!

@mom2nate08:
    I just checked out the program and I'll probably try it tomorrow! Thanks!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I just started 30DS... I like it, but make it more intense if you need, or alternate through the levels during the week.

In addition I like to get a 30-40 minute "run" in 3-4 days a week. If you're not a runner, C25K, or a similar biuld up program, is a great way to start. I haven't used C25K myself, but I did a step-up running time program. I started running at the beginning of June, and love it now (mid July).

Of course you want to make it something do-able that you can keep doing and won't burn out on. Also, this is a journey, not a quick fix, so there's no 30-1 hr exercise that will solve all your problems overnight. Watch your Calories in, and Calories out.

Best of Luck, you can do it!
  • psychofied
    Options
    I just started 30DS... I like it, but make it more intense if you need, or alternate through the levels during the week.

In addition I like to get a 30-40 minute "run" in 3-4 days a week. If you're not a runner, C25K, or a similar biuld up program, is a great way to start. I haven't used C25K myself, but I did a step-up running time program. I started running at the beginning of June, and love it now (mid July).

Of course you want to make it something do-able that you can keep doing and won't burn out on. Also, this is a journey, not a quick fix, so there's no 30-1 hr exercise that will solve all your problems overnight. Watch your Calories in, and Calories out.

Best of Luck, you can do it!
    I'll keep that in mind. Thank you very much! 8)
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Alternate running and resistance training. You can use an elastic band, get some free weights, or join a gym.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    The TurboFire DVD set is good. There are various workouts from 15 - 60 minutes, including some intense cardio, stretching, strength training, core work...there's a lot of variety! I agree that a combination of strength training and cardio is important - along with good nutrition! Good luck!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Not to disagree with anyone, but I really only like strength training if it is used in circuit with cardio, otherwise it's just "not enough" on it's own.

I found this article interesting: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304--7753-0,00.html
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options

I'm not sure you'll find many women who want to bulk up! Not to mention, "bulking up" is not really something women can physically do.
  • psychofied
    Options
    @jkuhn71: does TurboFire require any workout equipment?

@jfinnivan: thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to buy some weights this week.As for the gym, I can't really afford to join one. :(

@meggers123: thanks for that very helpful article!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options

@jfinnivan: thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to buy some weights this week.As for the gym, I can't really afford to join one. :(

You don't have to have workout equipment to do a lot of the TurboFire DVDs. But for the strength training, you should have some resistance bands/cords or weights.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    What school are you going to? A lot of college (at least all of the 4 I've personally attended) have gyms on campus that are included in tuition and fees, so there's no extra cost for going. Some of them aren't advertised, though, because they are too small to handle a lot of people so you may have to ask around about it before you find it. I only found one of the ones where I got my associates because I was asked to do a work study job there because of my certifications. We only had the basketball team and a few of the professors ever use it while I was there because the rest of the student body didn't know about it. Anyway, my point is that you may have access to a gym and not know about it because of the school. So, check into that.

As for videos, I'd recommend anything by Beachbody or Cathe Friedrich. If you want some yoga, tai chi, or pilates for more stretching, then I'd suggest Giaim's various lines too.

Also, if there is a park nearby or on campus, then you can do your own bootcamp or parkour style workouts too.
  • psychofied
    Options

You don't have to have workout equipment to do a lot of the TurboFire DVDs. But for the strength training, you should have some resistance bands/cords or weights.

Weights are fine? I'll try it then :) And how long will the workout last?

@trainingwithtony: Sadly, our college doesn't have a gym. I'd probably go if we have one.
    Thank you!