FF Calorie Shockers

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    VlpW wrote: »
    Mascarpone cheese! I'd never tasted it before and see it on cooking shows all the time, so I decided to buy a container. When I got home and saw the fat and calories I like to have died. I never ate it--couldn't have enjoyed after that, lol. No thanks, I'll just eat butter!

Mascarpone is the Italian version of cream cheese on steroids. It's a triple-crème cheese which means it's roughly 40% fat. To give you something to compare that number to, heavy whipping cream must contain a minimum of 36% fat. So yeah, it's gonna have some impressive numbers. Hehe

But it's sooo good! Mmmm tiramisu :smile:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Mascarpone cheese! I'd never tasted it before and see it on cooking shows all the time, so I decided to buy a container. When I got home and saw the fat and calories I like to have died. I never ate it--couldn't have enjoyed after that, lol. No thanks, I'll just eat butter!

Mascarpone is the Italian version of cream cheese on steroids. It's a triple-crème cheese which means it's roughly 40% fat. To give you something to compare that number to, heavy whipping cream must contain a minimum of 36% fat. So yeah, it's gonna have some impressive numbers. Hehe

That it is, that it definitely is.
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I like the Quest sea salt chips. 130 cals, no actual potatoes
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Wadeeee wrote: »
    cuadrado12 wrote: »
    I remember looking at the Avocado Lime dressing packet at Chick Fil A- it was over 300 calories. Very eye opening when you're just getting a salad... it's my favorite dressing, too!!!

This.

There are more calories in the dressing than in the rest of the salad, including the chicken.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I just accidentally had a thousand calorie lunch: 2 pieces of the Quizno's sandwich platter, 1 chocolate chip cookie, and a *very small* glass of regular coke.

I should have brought my lunch to the meeting.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging my calories into MFP. I was shocked at the calories in my lunch I picked up at Captain D's:
    Captains sandwich, 1,085 calories, with a side of coleslaw, 180 calories. CRAZY!
    I probably added cheese to the sandwich as well. My calorie goal for the day was 1,200

What meals that you were eating has shocked you?

I don't think I have been shocked in a long long time. :)
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This isn't fast food, but when I visited Canada I got into eating the Ritter Sport bars. My favorite? The white chocolate bar with whole hazelnuts.

Imagine my delight when I found out that they have them in the grocery stores here in Florida. Imagine my shock and horror when I finally read the wrapper and realized that a very small portion -- like a third of the bar -- is 210 calories and 15g of fat! I was eating a whole bar in a sitting -- so I was scarfing more than 600 calories at a time.

I have bought it as the occasional treat since, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Trail mix also got me. I like the kind with the mini M&M's and the standard GORP (Good ol raisins and peanuts). I knew it was 180 calories, but the portion size feels like a thimble -- 1/4 cup. Who just eats 1/4 cup of trailmix?
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and rarely eat fast food, but whenever I see fast food commercials I look up what they're advertising on MFP just for fun and can hardly believe my eyes :neutral:

Even vegan food can rack up the calories - I love a good hefty scoop of Ben & Jerry's non-dairy PB & Cookies ice cream... 280 calories in a measly half cup!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Boneless chicken wings at ~100 cals a pop (1-2 bites)
    Fries.....you mean I could have a milkshake for fewer calories than the fries???
    Milkshakes...You mean I could have an ENTIRE bottle of wine for the "price" of that milkshake?
    Wine....JK. Still love my red wine and the cals are fine ;)
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    We have a local chain called Zips. My occasional treat is their bacon cheese burger, fries and tartar. They have the best tartar ever. No idea of the calorie count always have to guesstimate.

OMG I LOVE ZIPS! I'm living in Oregon now so I only get Zips when I visit my parents. Worth the splurge for sure, since I only get it a couple times a year!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Mini brownie concrete from Freddy's Steakburger = 880 calories :'(
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    This isn't fast food, but when I visited Canada I got into eating the Ritter Sport bars. My favorite? The white chocolate bar with whole hazelnuts.

Imagine my delight when I found out that they have them in the grocery stores here in Florida. Imagine my shock and horror when I finally read the wrapper and realized that a very small portion -- like a third of the bar -- is 210 calories and 15g of fat! I was eating a whole bar in a sitting -- so I was scarfing more than 600 calories at a time.

I have bought it as the occasional treat since, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

Oh, man! The coconut Ritter! 660 calories in that bar. I <3 those.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    A hamburger at mc Donald s is god knows how much
    Hamburger is 250 calories. Cheeseburger is 300 calories. I had a Grand Mac on Saturday...............860 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Another sandwich I'll eat occasionally is a Carl's Jr. Double Western Bacon cheeseburger.............like 1100 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Not from anywhere specific, but fish and chips are sorrowfully caloric. :'( One might not look past just potatoes and fish, but all that breading and oil for deep frying really adds up fast. I've never seen a decent portion be under like 1,100 calories. Sad, because I love them.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A hamburger at mc Donald s is god knows how much

Only 250 calories. It's not bad at all. They nail you on the fries and soda, though.
  • FitBody3
    FitBody3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hard Rock cafe apple cobbler ! 1350 calories :(