Workouts causing constipation? *TMI*

Options
Hey everyone,
My apologies if this is TMI for some but I didn't know who else to ask :)
For years my BMs have been extremely regular, 1x daily and the same time. Even after I made my lifestyle changes I was fine. The last few weeks I have been upping my strength routine and challenging my abs more. After each I reward myself with a homemade fruit smoothie with 1/2 scoop of whey protein powder. 2 days later I have constipation problems! To the point that I think I've developed hemorrhoids with freaky side effects. I'm still "daily", it's just not easy. My water intake has stayed about the same as always. I put flax in my smoothies to up my fibre (I've never had a low fibre issue).

Anybody had the same problem or have any ideas what could be causing this issue? Is it the abs, water, protein?? It's a bit distressing to say the least. Everything else in my life (routine, diet) is the same! Thanks for any input!!

Replies

• l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Most likely the protein! I have the same issue. I mean, it could be other things too but that would be my first guess only because I have that problem.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Are you sensitive to dairy? It is probably the protein...
    Have you tried taking g magnesium at night? It can actually help you sleep and also soften stools.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Probably protein, my friend has this trouble. She switched to pea protein and doesn't seem to have an issue.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It could be the whey. I prefer orgain or other vegetarian protein powders.

HOWEVER, I do get constipated the day after strength workouts that work my abs, its not just you. I don't drink protein drinks daily so that's not it. I'm constipated for a good 48 hours after. Until muscle recovery.
  • bkleemd
    bkleemd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I added fiber via a pill each day and that helped a great deal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    workouts aren't causing you to be backed up- that's a food issue. You need more fat to grease the skids.
  • successgal1
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    workouts aren't causing you to be backed up- that's a food issue. You need more fat to grease the skids.

Nope.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nope.

nope what?
    Fat makes things move.

Just go to five guys and tell me I'm wrong.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I know that ovulation can cause constipation in some people. Could this be a hormone change? I know that it's said that menstrual cycles change every 7 years, so this could be a factor.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fat and I still have the same problem, even on days when I'm reaching my fiber goal, so I mix in some wheat bran into some yogurt or cottage cheese every day. I'm not certain why wheat bran but I think it's because it's the insoluble fiber as compared to the soluble sort.

Anyway it works for me so that's what I do.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It happens to me when I eat under 1200calories a day. Working out actually helps my metabolism go smoothly.
    Everybody is different, it's just me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You're drinking fruit smoothies with added fiber.

It's quite possible you're consuming too much fiber. And/or too little fat to help account for the extra fiber.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Protein does it to me.

I backed mine off to half a scoop for a while then worked back up to a whole scoop. Once I get in the groove I'm fine, but I had the flu and then pneumonia and once I started back in my routine after almost 3 weeks down I had to start all over!

Otherwise- some natural fiber, staying hydrated- and a nice long jog get things moving for me!
  • successgal1
    Options

Nope.

nope what?
    Fat makes things move.

Just go to five guys and tell me I'm wrong.

Nope fat does not "grease things through", at least for me. I love me some fried food and my body handles it quite well, its not mineral oil, which WOULD grease things through. Food oils are digestible oils, thats why they have so many calories. I do not have ill side effect from eating greasy foods. In fact, the burger itself would probably cause constipation in me, as red meat often does.

Assuming all else is perfect... I drink a morning smoothie with fruits, homemade kefir for probiotics, and a serving of oatmeal, I have lunch with a whole grain english muffin, dinner is lean meat and 2 types of veggies, and possibly in there I'll have a nutritional drink with fiber in it... and I'm fine, normal bowel movements day in and out. But, throw in a heavy (for me) all body workout and it stops me up for the entire next day and maybe the next after that. The only thing that makes sense is that my entire body is retaining water and is swollen, so nothing moves.

It's something I've noted over decades, its common, not unique, for me, therefore I've taken note of it and know its going to happen. It can take me 48-36 hours after a heavy workout to recover and "release" water and whatever is stuck in my digestive system.
  • katyjay2014
    katyjay2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the insight and tips!! It's probably a combination of the workout and water, add in a little extra protein and my body is less than impressed! I'll have to experiment a little bit and use Colace until I figure it out