Nausea tips?

Options
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right section to post this, I have searched but I haven't found threads about nausea.

I have been experiencing nausea for a few days now, especially in the afternoon and evening.
Before anyone asks: I am not pregnant.
I believe this is caused by stress, since I am working on my master thesis right now, and I have never been good with stress management.
I also think it's stress related because I am experiencing high hunger levels, in fact I am finding myself eating more these days, especially bread or crackers to ease the nausea sensation, but the extra carbs make me feel a bit bloated.
I am usually a food lover, I love to cook and eat calorie-and-macro-balanced meals, but now I often feel that I am hungry but there's nothing in the house that I really crave, so I chose bread and crackers.
Nausea also makes me feel less willing to drink water/tea, which usually helps me feeling full.

disclaimer here: I am ok with eating a bit more food if I feel that I need it, since I am taking a slow approach to weightloss, so it's not priority number 1 to keep calories at a minimum. my priority now is to feel good, to be healthy and not to gain weight.

I am not a heavy coffee drinker, I have usually a bit in my morning milk and one macchiato after lunch but I plan on eliminating at least the coffee after lunch because I think it may be related to my nausea.
The other thing that i plan to do is trying to deal better with my stress, like going back to the gym after a long time today.

Do you have any other tips for reducing this awful feeling?
Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• arunchick
    arunchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Gravol ginger works great for me! And it's non-drowsy too! Good Luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ginger is a good natural remedy for nausea. Ginger ale, ginger candy, ginger pills are all used to help fight nausea. Dramamine make a natural medicine that is ginger tablets. Or just go for good ol Dramamine (this will make you drowsy) or bonine (supposed to be much less drowsy). I am pregnant, and Bonine has saved me on some of the more horrible days as of late.

Best of luck!

ETA - alot of people swear by the seasick bands too, you can get those from most drug stores where the motion sickness medicines are!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    that sounds awful! I still get motion sick at freaken 29, so I have tried many nausea remedies. Dramamine works best- the non drowsy doesn't' make me to sleepy. Mint tea is also helpful with the added bonus of keeping you hydrated.
  • readytobeatfat54
    readytobeatfat54 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I usually drink seltzer.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Ginger and peppermint teas are my go-tos for nausea.
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I will try to drink ginger and peppermint teas more consistently before considering medications!
    I do feel a lot better now after going to the gym (I simply walked 5k on the treadmill because I am totally out of shape) so I may be on the right path here :)

Thanks everybody for your advice! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The best nausea medicine I know is all natural, a plant and still illegal in most of the US.

But if your nausea is stress related, I'd suggested relieving stress instead of focusing on the nausea. I like meditation and breathing techniques.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Weed helps me cope with my nausea.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You could ask your doctor about Ondansetron. My daughter had a queasy stomach off and on while growing up and this helped her. There's all kinds of ginger drops and chews that might appeal to you. I like the ones from Trader Joe's.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I know you're not pregnant, but each time I was pregnant I copped morning sickness 24/7. I constantly felt nauseous and vomited minimum of 9 times daily. The only time I wasn't vomiting and didn't feel sick was when I wore my travel sickness pressure point bands. The go on your wrists and put pressure on the inside there. This is a link to them on amazon:
    Maybe you could give them a go?
    https://www.amazon.com/Bioband-Motion-Sickness-Band-Black/dp/B001KN5790
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Treating the symptoms: Like everyone says, ginger is your best bet. Ginger tea is my personal favorite, but it's up to you, as long as it's actual ginger! Also, I know you said the nausea makes you less likely to drink water/tea, but not being adequately hydrated can definitely contribute to feelings of nausea.
    Treating the cause, though? Might be worthwhile. I know you said you're working on your thesis, and it's hard to take time to take care of yourself, but working on developing stress management techniques could really help (it sounds like).
    Good luck! I hope you start feeling better soon =)
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ginger!
    I also use "sea bands", they work wonders for me when i have nausea. You can find them in the pharmacy area i believe.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Another vote for seabands here!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Nausea is a vague nonspecific symptom that be caused by many things.

It may be stress as you suggest but it's quite possibly a symptom of something else.

If it's persistent or you find yourself unable to eat/drink properly then seeing a doctor would be a good idea
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone again!

Today I did not do very well, but I just drank a Coke which somehow helped.
    Ginger tea, made with ginger root, didn't change much the situation though. I will look for ginger-based supplements similar to the ones some of you suggested, I will probably find different brands since I am in Italy.
    I will also try not to feel too stressed.

I would like to point out that my condition is a (I believe temporary) discomfort, not a serious illness.
    I only had nausea for a few days, I didn't vomit, I ate enough food and drank enough water, only less than usual.
    If this lasts too long or gets worse, I will go to my doctor. Thanks to @lizery who expressed concern about this: it's important to take health issues seriously :)