Bloating and constipation?!

I get very bloated after eating small portions of food and I am usually fairly constipated, maybe having a BM every 3-4 days. I'm not sure if it's a food intolerance or what.

Any ideas on foods that can help with relieving constipation?? :)

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Magnesium
  • jessicafrench20
    jessicafrench20 Posts: 1 Member
    More fiber, less carbs? that usually helps me, but probably do magnesium too
  • nesliangel
    nesliangel Posts: 2 Member
    I go through the same thing! Honestly a lot of people recommend me fiber and such but it NEVER works. So every week or so i get a laxative drink from Walmart and its only 98 cents.

But if you don't want laxative drinks and want natural food. I recommend having papaya first thing in the morning and it should help as well
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Also make sure you get enough fat in your diet. Not having enough can also lead to constipation.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    kiwifruit is my tool
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    If your condition is ongoing, have you spoken to your doctor about it? You probably don't want to rely on laxatives if this is ongoing...

Barring that--coffee usually has a laxative effect. Also prunes or warm prune juice (gross, yes, but it works--4 oz worked for me and you can take it as a shot without really tasting it).
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited February 2017
    Magnesium, fats, and digestive enzymes. However, chronic constipation and bloating is very often a sign of a food allergy. Top culprits that tend to produce those symptoms are dairy and gluten. Sometimes some citrus fruits will cause those symptoms but that is a less common allergy. You might try adding magnesium and digestive enzymes to your day (and fats if you're not hitting a 20-30% macro minimum). A digestive enzyme typically needs to be taken with every meal for 3-4 months before you can try cutting back to once a day. If this is a long standing problem it can take as long as 6 months to a year to cut back to once a day. How long that takes is very individual. You would need to try those things for a few weeks to see if they help.

If those things do not work, then I would suggest an elimination diet with dairy and gluten. You typically have to remove an offending food for a minimum of 30 days (this means literally reading every label b/c dairy is listed as casein, whey, lactose, etc. and gluten can be listed as individual grains) and then adding it back in for 3 days straight (at least once per day). If you are allergic, you'll know it pretty quick. An allergy will reproduce your bloating and constipation symptoms and/or it may show up other symptoms like hives, rashes, etc.
  • I drink a lot of strong black coffee. Works like a charm.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    If all else fails, Miralax is safe. Babies can take it. A doctor told me a study showed that it could be taken for 50 years without complications. If you can tolerate it of course. Magnesium works as someone said. But use care not to over do it. Check out magnesium overdose.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    My husband uses fiber con in his coffee each morning and a stool softener, Not laxative. Along with some cantaloupe and he is good. Also a cup of yogurt a day
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    If this is an ongoing problem speak to your doctor I have IBS and laxatives made it way worse (even the "safe" natural kind) it could be anything though so don't start self medicating laxatives or buscapan. It could even be stress or a side effect to a medicine.

I however managed to identify my trigger foods and cope without medication for the most part. Since you're keeping a diary I'd start seeing if you can identify anything, mine ended up being really random foods eg. bananas, microwave pasta meals like lasagne (but not pasta dishes cooked from scratch), thai sticky rice, coffee. Good luck and hope you get better soon. x
  • xoalexaCxo
    xoalexaCxo Posts: 9 Member
    You can use Benifiber, coffee is supposed to help, more fiber and in a pinch magnesium citrate (Taste like liquid bottled sour patch kids). I know I was having an issue this past month with this and I found out I was eating too much red meat and bananas. If this continues you should go to the doctors and make sure that nothing is obstructing your intestines.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    fatblatta wrote: »
    If all else fails, Miralax is safe. Babies can take it. A doctor told me a study showed that it could be taken for 50 years without complications. If you can tolerate it of course. Magnesium works as someone said. But use care not to over do it. Check out magnesium overdose.

I realize doctors say miralax is safe but please, OP, do research before ever taking that stuff. It is plastic. It is known to cause tics in susceptible people. It also does not address the root cause of your symptoms which would be far healthier in the long run. Bandaids will only make this worse. BTDT with a child. Go for the root cause even if you have to play detective.
  • kaity727
    kaity727 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I have seen my doctor about it and was prescribed a laxative but they never preformed any allergy tests or anything so I'll try and cut back on different food or see if I notice anything that triggers it.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    edited February 2017
    I've had a lot of luck with activated charcoal helping the bloated/gassy feeling. Check for interactions with anything else you're taking though.
  • Research something called the FODMAP diet. It was a diet developed by Monash University and has been shown to help those afflicted by IBS. Even seemingly harmless foods, like celery and chickpeas, can cause major issues.

I have been making adjustments based on the diet guidelines. I feel much better. And over the summer I was having such pain and stomach issues that I went in for testing to see if it was gastritis.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    kaity727 wrote: »
    I get very bloated after eating small portions of food and I am usually fairly constipated, maybe having a BM every 3-4 days. I'm not sure if it's a food intolerance or what.

Any ideas on foods that can help with relieving constipation?? :)

So how much are you eating? If you only ever have small portions, and you aren't doing that very often because you feel bloated, it would not be surprising that you're constipated.

kaity727 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I have seen my doctor about it and was prescribed a laxative but they never preformed any allergy tests or anything so I'll try and cut back on different food or see if I notice anything that triggers it.

When you saw your doctor, did you tell him/her how much you were eating?
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    I have struggled with both for years, but with all the protein I am eating it got really bad lately. Two nights ago I decided to double my magnesium dosage from 100mg/2x day to 200mg/2x day (chelated). Literally overnight, things changed!! I had soft bm for the 1st time in weeks. Today is the same. I am hoping it continues.

As for bloating, banish white foods (flour especially) and deep- fried foods. The magnesium helps with this, too. When bloating strikes, find a quiet spot and do downward facing dog for 30-60 seconds. This really works for me.

Best of luck!
    Meredith
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have struggled with both for years, but with all the protein I am eating it got really bad lately. Two nights ago I decided to double my magnesium dosage from 100mg/2x day to 200mg/2x day (chelated). Literally overnight, things changed!! I had soft bm for the 1st time in weeks. Today is the same. I am hoping it continues.

As for bloating, banish white foods (flour especially) and deep- fried foods. The magnesium helps with this, too. When bloating strikes, find a quiet spot and do downward facing dog for 30-60 seconds. This really works for me.

Best of luck!
    Meredith

I have a bottle of magnesium tablets in my cupboard for just this situation. 2 before bed on an empty stomach works like a charm every time.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Lots of water and fiber.