Question for tall people

Options

Replies

• HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ya'll would be surprised what's really influenced by nutrition and environment.

Oxygen is insanely important. Vitamin D is insanely important.

For example, people born during summer months are generally taller than those born in winter months. .

I find this a little hard to believe. The variations between countries are more significant than the variations in season.

I am from Norway, and like the rest of the Scandinavian countries, it is dark and cold for a large part of the year. And people living here are among the tallest in the world.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", the oldest and only girl. My mom is 5'9" and my dad is 6'. My brothers are all 5'10" to 6' 2". The tallest is also the youngest. Growing up I was an extremely picky eater and wouldn't eat red meat except for the occasional hamburger and the only vegetables I liked were corn, carrots, and potatoes. I preferred pasta and hot dogs. As a teenager I survived mostly on fast food, Slim Jims, and Dr. Pepper. I was anemic and had to take iron and vitamin D supplements but I was still 5'11" by the time I was 15. So, in my case, I'm going with genetics as opposed to nutrition :)
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and spent my teenage years drinking 8 cokes and day and eating chocolate, chips and iced buns. That was basically all I ate. I was skinny (and anemic). So I'm going with genetics over nutrition.
  • f0liot
    f0liot Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm 6'4, My mom is 5'4(Her Siblings all 5'11+), dad is 5'11 and I did not and still do not eat vegetables. I grew up on lots of junk food and pop.

Fruit By the Foot
    Hostess Cupcakes
    Skittles
    Coke
    Grape Crush
    Orange Crush

The only consistent thing I would eat daily would be baby carrots (Cold) at dinner. Going with Genetics over Nutrition here
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you read or heard that poor nutrition can stunt your growth, maybe it does if you suffer from starvation, but it is not true.

How about from pediatric endocrinologists? "Your growth-hormone deficient child has to eat more, or GH therapy won't work. We're not going to treat them until you put some weight on them." Which is entirely backward in most cases; replacing the missing hormone will make the child hungry, and they'll eat like crazy because they're growing.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Unless you're starving/malnourished then your DNA determines your height potential, not the foods you eat.
  • castlerobber
    Options
    I am 5'9

My mom is 5'4" and my dad is 5'11"

My sister in her growing years refused to consume many food groups (no meat, fish, vegetables, whole grains, vegetables or fruit) and basically grew up on refined flour products, chips, and white rice. She is 4'10"

It's more likely that your sister had growth hormone deficiency or a genetic syndrome, than that her poor diet caused her not to grow. The expected height for your parents' female offspring would be 5'5", plus or minus 2". Your going above that to 5'9" isn't out of the ordinary, but your sister's height is way below the expected range.

Mid-parental height calculator
  • chriswat1976
    chriswat1976 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm from Australia. I'm 5'10(female). My older brother is 6'3 and my younger brother is 6'6. We have the same parents. Dad was 5'11 and mum is 5'9. My older brother lived with my dad from when he was 15yo and my younger brother and I lived with mum. Older brother ate a lot of crap food, younger bro and I ate healthier not too much junk or sweets and only had meat 3 or 4 times a week. I think it's a lot more to do with genetics than anything else, I have a cousin who is 6'8, lived in a different state, his dad was the tallest of my dad's family.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Everyone... nutrition definitely plays a part.

You're free to google several of the items I've mentioned if you don't believe me.

Also, "height" isn't a single gene. There's a lot that goes into determining if a person is tall or short. We're talking femurs, tibias, spine... other stuff. I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the Internet.

There's "genetic potential" and then, yes, environment comes into play.

Who your parents are, what age they are when they conceived, the frequency of children (mom's nutrient stores), the month they conceived, if it was natural or in-vitro, if mom was short (smaller women tend to have a higher likelihood of premature birth), what mom ate while pregnant, if baby was breastfed, and yes... what the child ate while growing. All of that goes into height.

Genes are often influenced by your environment.

Nutrition 100% plays a part in helping to set a child's height.

... I'm now going to unsubscribe from this thread as the anecdotal evidence is driving me a tad bit nutty.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It does. But not for most Americans or other Westerners for whom receiving adequate (or a surplus) of nutrition in their growing years is simply not an issue. We're not medieval peasants subsisting on barley gruel.
    ... I'm now going to unsubscribe from this thread as the anecdotal evidence is driving me a tad bit nutty.
    If you find a way to do that, let me know. There are a number of threads I'd like to unsub from, but I have yet to locate a way to do that.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I had extremely poor nutrition growing up. I do believe it played a part in my overall bone structure. Since it is quite slender for a guy who's 6ft tall, regardless though. I still grew fairly tall off of a diet that consisted of mostly fast food.
  • castlerobber
    Options
    Actually, all of my family members are quite short apart from my dad. The females are up to 5'4 and below, males are 5'8" and below

Actually my family went though poverty at the time my sister was growing up, we did not have enough money to afford nutritious foods and were raised by a single mother. When I was growing up, we had enough money to buy the food we needed

You seem determined to establish that you're 11" taller than your sister, and tall among your otherwise average-height* (or a little below) family, solely because of the difference in nutrition.

Certainly both nutrition and genetics play a part, as do such things as hormone levels, malabsorption syndromes, precocious puberty, and untreated chronic infection. Unless your sister was severely malnourished for a significant portion of her childhood, she likely didn't end up 4'10" just because she ate junk food.

*The average height for an American Caucasian woman is around 5'4" to 5'5"; for men, 5'9" to 5'10". Short stature is technically considered 5' or less for women, 5'5" or less for men.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

You're free to google several of the items I've mentioned if you don't believe me.

Also, "height" isn't a single gene. There's a lot that goes into determining if a person is tall or short. We're talking femurs, tibias, spine... other stuff. I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the Internet.

Who your parents are, what age they are when they conceived, the frequency of children (mom's nutrient stores), the month they conceived, if it was natural or in-vitro, if mom was short (smaller women tend to have a higher likelihood of premature birth), what mom ate while pregnant, if baby was breastfed, and yes... what the child ate while growing. All of that goes into height.

Please link to the studies that prove that breastfed babies end up taller than formula fed babies.
    You can't, because its not true. In fact recent studies have shown the benefits of breast feeding have been greatly exaggerated.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Also genetics are more complicated than just (mom + dad)/2 = kid. Dominant and recessive genes can lead to surprising results.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options

Please link to the studies that prove that breastfed babies end up taller than formula fed babies.
    You can't, because its not true. In fact recent studies have shown the benefits of breast feeding have been greatly exaggerated.

Oh yeah... Big Breastfeeding has a lot of lobbying power. Greatly inflating the studies. You should for sure trust the formula is equal studies more.

Even if you're not sold on breastfeeding, there's tons of research about skin to skin touch. (Which breastfeeding facilitates.)
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    It does. But not for most Americans or other Westerners for whom receiving adequate (or a surplus) of nutrition in their growing years is simply not an issue. We're not medieval peasants subsisting on barley gruel.
    If you find a way to do that, let me know. There are a number of threads I'd like to unsub from, but I have yet to locate a way to do that.

Just unclick the star, though it'll still pop up if you get quoted. Hahaha
  • M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a tallish girl. Tallest girl in my family. Everyone else is short. I ate exactly the same as them. Not more or less . I don't think Diet is anything to do with height
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with genetics over nutrition for height potential. Case in point: I was adopted at birth and was raised with an older brother and younger sister. I grew to be 6'5, where my brother is only 5'8 and my sister is 5'4. We ate most of the same foods growing up. After learning about my birth family and their roots, I discovered I have a lot of tall relatives on my biological father's side, he has brothers and cousins that are 6'8, so the height potential is definitely coming from genetics for me.