Should i wash my fruit/veggys?

Options
I haven't washed my fruit or veggys in a couple years, and have been healthy. But should I take up washing them, or just keep going as I am? Does it really make a difference? No, I don't eat organic fruit or veggys...

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My husband has worked in 2 different grocery stores...and the short answer without getting gross is without a doubt, you should ALWAYS at the very least rinse them off. :flowerforyou:

He's told me horror stories, and it doesn't matter if it's organic or not...they should ALL be washed.
  • AnathemaRose
    Options
    Wash them! Just think about what they've been through before they got to your plate.

(But if you wanna get grossed out, watch when the produce arrives at a store and how people handle them...)

But yes, always wash, as agreed with Lyadeia.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wash!! Do it. It almost certainly can't hurt and it can definitely help.
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wash them! If you think of the others who've handled the fruits and vegetables while packages, stocking and shopping AND the growers and the possible pesticides or fertilizers used on the plants the answer is a definite YES.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    My husband has worked in 2 different grocery stores...and the short answer without getting gross is without a doubt, you should ALWAYS at the very least rinse them off. :flowerforyou:

He's told me horror stories, and it doesn't matter if it's organic or not...they should ALL be washed.
    ^^^^^^^
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm washing my produce from now on!
    I've only thought about how many people have handle dollar bills(And how many strippers my ones have gone threw D:).....
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes...especially if you aren't eating organic. Most have pesticides on them. Trader Joe's has a great affordable fruit and veggie wash that doesn't suds up. Google, "amount of pesticides on food". You should find a chart that ranks different fruits and veggies in order from worst to best according to the amount of pesticides are on them. It will change your mind.
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    After watching a young girl pick up a mushroom, put it to her mouth and then back on the shelf I've been put off fresh produce, I only buy packaged or peelable things now! So YES, absolutely wash your veggies!
  • NSkip4
    NSkip4 Posts: 21
    Options
    It won't hurt to wash or not wash it, it's good for your immune system to get some germs in ya!