I ate like crap

Options
Had to have that cupcake and enchiladas yesterday,feeling like crap about my dession.....how do you not mess up?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to mess up. It's not the messing up that bothers me... it's letting that mess up turn into something bad... a week, a month, etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I work things like cupcakes and enchiladas into my day/week/month so that I can still enjoy all the things I love, not cut out anything but calories, and still reach my goals.

On days where I overdo it when it wasn't planned, I drink a lot of water the next day, do a little extra exercise maybe, and possibly shave 100 or so calories off my days so that I'm still on goal for the week.

Regardless, perspective is important. It's unlikely that your day put you 3,500 cals above your maintenance level so it's unlikely you will see a true impact on the scale. You may see temp water weight gain but it will be gone in a couple days.

What are your stats, goal, and calorie level from MFP? Are you restricting things so heavily that it makes you feel like when you indulge this way it's a failure? If so, that's problematic.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    by realizing that I am human and messing up is part of life - its how you deal with the obstacle and move on - do you let it consume you and focus on it; or do you recognize and make changes and move on
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Were they good? Did you enjoy them? Own it,move on, and work enchiladas and cupcakes into your diet occasionally. There's nothing wrong with cupcakes and enchiladas.
  • discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with cupcakes and enchiladas.

Preach. I wouldn't want to live in a world where cupcakes and enchiladas were wrong.

OP - to quote my 4 y.o. favorite princes - the past is in the past, let it go.... ;)

Everyone makes mistakes (and that's if you even want to consider enchiladas and cupcakes a mistake. as others have said, just work it into your larger meal/exercise planning and then its not a mistake). No one manages to "not mess up" every single time, every single day. Rome wasn't built in a day, and a long term plan isn't a success or failure based on a day.

• mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Don't turn a "bad" meal into a bad day, week or month. Just get back on track and keep doing what you're doing. I think we sabotage ourselves by wallowing in the guilt over eating the "wrong" things and then just throw in the towel completely.. or at least I did that..... and what everyone else said, sometimes you gotta make room for the cupcake and enchilada!!
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Please tell me that eating an enchilada is not a bad thing! I had two chicken enchiladas yesterday with chicka chicka boom boom sauce and it was amazing. And, look at it this way, you only had a cup cake NOT a whole cake!
    Log it and own it. Today is a new day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    How do I not mess up? I don't. I mean, I do - mess up that is! I'll never be perfect, and I don't expect to be perfect. The most important thing, as others have already said, is to MOVE ON. Don't give up just because you had a bad day. You can reflect on it, try to figure out what led you to overeat (was it stress? eating at too large a deficit for too long? social pressures?) and use that as a learning to help you next time. Because THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME. And that's ok. It's not about falling. It's about getting up and moving ahead after we fall.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Last night I ate pizza. I ate a lot of it. And it was so good and I don't regret it. Log it, today is a new day. One day of cupcakes and enchiladas will not ruin your success.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    So what did you eat the rest of the day? Healthy eating is not being 100% healthy all the time. If you hit 90% you are doing really well. Also if you deprive yourself completely, it could lead to a horrible binge.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Sunday night at 11 pm I just had to have that Klondike bar. First I ate 1/3, then went back and finished it. It was really good, and put me over my calorie count for the first time in a week. What I didn't do was wake up Monday morning, decide that since I "blew it" Sunday night I might as well go out for breakfast. That was my old pattern, that is destined to lead to weight gain. I moved past it and Monday was the start of a new day. It can be hard, but just remember how good it tasted and get back on track.
  • Kevindagul
    Kevindagul Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had McDonalds this morning, logged it (awful nutrition value), remembered my goal, I won't be doing that again
  • Canehdn
    Canehdn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Log it. Own it. Do better next time.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Every decision you make is a learning moment. What did you learn for your cupcake and enchiladas yesterday?

Could not have said it better myself.