What are some high-calorie-burning exercises?

Options
I spend about 1 or 2 hours a day exercising, but never really seem to burn that much calories. On average, i think i burn about 300 calories a day. I alternate between swimming, jogging, and occasionally tennis. Am i not pushing myself hard enough? Can anyone suggest some exercises that burn more calories? Or can you suggest some ways that i can burn more doing the same activities? I would like to burn at least 500 a day.. but possibly more. As much as possible, actually ;) thanks a lot.

Oh and also, i have a Wii, with both Wii Sports and Wii Fit on it. I quite like to do the steps, running and hoolahoop on the wiifit, and tennis and baseball on wii sports. Do these burn many calories, or not?

thanks again :)

Replies

• tamika2000
    Options
    Zumba burns a lot of calories .... and loads of fun too. Can burn around 600 calories an hour.
  • la_traviesa36013
    Options
    I bought an airclimber. I usually burn around 800 an hour.
  • AndyParkes
    AndyParkes Posts: 35
    Options
    I spend about 1 or 2 hours a day exercising, but never really seem to burn that much calories. On average, i think i burn about 300 calories a day. I alternate between swimming, jogging, and occasionally tennis. Am i not pushing myself hard enough?

You could up your intensity?

if you're exercising for 1 or 2 hours you should burn more than 300 calories.

MFP said my 22 min run last night burned over 400 calories
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    running, cycling, spinning, circuit training classes - I'm fit and have little left to lose so my body is fairly efficient so on running I only burn 80 cals per mile which is lower then a number of people so an hours running will be over 500 cals, spinning is around the same, they work for me and I on a good day will burn between 700 and 1500 (or more) cals.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yea, the Wii sports and Wii fit DO burn calories. How much all depends on how "in" it you are. When you play, play hard! There was a story about a guy who didn't change a thing he ate or his exercise and played wii sports (tennis and boxing) for like an hr a day (might have been 30 min.) and actually lost weight!!

Cardio is the way to go.. I love any kind of dance routine, tae bo, aerobics..etc.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that the less you weigh, the less calories you burn for the exercise you do, than somebody 50lbs larger doing the same exercise at the same intensity. As you don't have much to lose (judging by your graph on your profile), it can be quite difficult getting those numbers up. Aerobics, spin class and Body Combat (it's a patented class by an international sports group called Les Mils - check their site to see if there's a class near you) rack up a lot of calories for the time spent.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Wii probably won't be a whole lot of calories.
    The elliptical sure does! I burn over 1000 calories in 65 minutes yesterday. [:
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    If you can, buy yourself a heart rate monitor and see how many calories you burn during an exercise,

I have found that cycling I can burn 40-50 calories every mile which is 4-5 minutes, so in an hour I can burn over 500 calories,

Running I burn about 100 calories per mile / 10 minutes

Spinning is intense so that will burn more
  • MissMP
    MissMP Posts: 3
    Options
    take up boxing with an instructor (not boxersise). Sparring burns loads of calories, or take up something like kick boxing which can burn 800 calories in an hour.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I second getting a HRM if you don't already have one.

If you want to workout at home then Beachbody's Insanity would be my choice. I burn up to 860 calories in an hour on the harder cardio workouts.
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try out a spin class, if you find a good instructor you can burn like 600+ calories in a hour session. Also to burn more calories your gonna want to keep your heart rate up. Ill like to really push myself. Also switch up you exercise routines, always keep your body guessing. Incorporate shuttle runs and hill sprints and alternating from fast to slower! Heres an article I found with more suggestions! http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20411001,00.html Hope it helps! :flowerforyou:
  • RobJakovich
    Options
    Kettlebell training with an accredited instructor........amazing workout and insane calorie burner!!!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I get big burns from cycling...but then I do a lot of it
  • lauraliz83
    Options
    cycling is quite good. My route takes an hour or so and is 11.7 miles. Burns around 360 cals for my weight/height
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    if you can try spinning you will burn insane calories!
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM. Ditto on the poster that said it depends on your body weight. I am doing Insanity and burn about 400 cals in 40min. I see big guys on here burning over a 1000. Age, sex and body weight play a huge role.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    elliptical is awesome calorie burner I can easly get around 1000 cal burn in 60min

zumba is great fun and can be done on the wii if your prefer to use your wii

heavy bag is also awesome I get amost 200 cal burn in 20min of hitting the bag and its a great upper body cardio
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I burn 1500-1600 calories playing ice hockey... and games last about an hr and 15 mins =-) Learn to skate and away you go! lol I hear the elliptical is really good tho.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My personal best for a one hour Zumba session was just over 700 calories. Now that's a fast burn,

Gym wise, elliptical machines always used to get the maximum out of me.