Fibre

Options
Good evening,

So I'm currently calorie counting with a focus on low carb and high protein. Typical meals include a lean protein (fish, chicken etc) with a bunch of steamed vegetables. Any vegetables depending what I want.

However I'm only averaging 23g of dietary fibre to my goal of 38g. I'm always way under my calories e.g. Today 1285 out of 1585 + 407 from exercise, this works for me, not hungry or fatigued. What I'm wondering is does anyone know any high fibre foods that would fit in with my low carb high protein.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Fiber supplements (drinks), or ditch the low carb plan. It's not necessary.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I supplement with either sugar free metamucil or the plain husk metamucil. I cant seem to find the plain metamucil anymore.

I keep a few satchels of the individual servings on me at all times, so I can supplement at work or at an airport.

I have tried benefiber and other brands, and they don't seem to work.

Kale really works well for me as well.
  • ianb64
    ianb64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everything I read says fiber is not necessary. If you are having problems in the bathroom find a supplement for fiber. If you are not, you should be fine with 23g

I am doing keto and rarely hit my fiber goal. Low carb tortillas or the premium kirkland protein bars are really high in fiber and have pretty low net carbs
  • sssup
    sssup Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, and low starch veggies are what you're looking for. I personally use fiber supplements (benefiber). But a quick Google search will get you a bunch of lovely foods and recipes that fit your preferred category.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    A general fiber guideline is 14 grams per 1000 calories, or around 25 grams daily for women. 23 grams should be fine.
    Too much fiber can also cause problems (If I eat over 35 or so I have tummy troubles.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fibre isn't needed as much on a low carb diet. It's more of an assist to your gut flora when eating carbs. If you aren't eating many carbs, fibre isn't needed.

TBH, I feel better the closer my fibre is to zero. It's usually under 15g per day, and I've never been so regular. ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use Ole Xtreme Wellness tortillas to make a breakfast burrito. That gives me 10 grams of fibre and costs 50 calories. Such a deal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Some ketoers find upping their fat keeps things moving.

I take psyllium husk powder everyday.

Per 25g:

45 calories
    5g carbs
    25g Fibre

I'm in Australia, so our carb/fibre labels differ from the U.S
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I use Ole Xtreme Wellness tortillas to make a breakfast burrito. That gives me 10 grams of fibre and costs 50 calories. Such a deal.

I loved those things, but couldn't figure out why they were bloating me...then I looked at the sodium content and about blew a gasket. Why must every delicious form of any kind if bread have so damned much of it? Raaargghg. It seems like the lower cal something is, the more damned salt they shove in it.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I use Mission Carb Control tortillas a lot. They are delicious and have a lot of fiber.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Just a note to say studies or theories or not, for me personally if I get too low on fiber I have terrible bathroom problems. At my low calorie limit, I often have issues getting enough, so have been planning to get a fiber supplement but havent taken the time research what one I should get or the best way to take it.