How many meals a day

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat 2 big meals (lunch and dinner) and fill in other calories with snacks throughout the day whenever I feel hungry. I do most of my snacking at night. Yay for Ben and Jerry's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have 2 or 3 meals a day, and don't snack very much. This is my second round on MFP and the first time around I ate low fat everything and had to eat every couple hours to not be starving. This time my knowledge of nutrition is different so I'm eating more whole foods and find it much easier to go longer between meals.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong. What ever works best for you us what is best. I like 3 meals with a snack after dinner. At least on work days. On the weekends I play it by ear and sometimes just have one meal with some snacks.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long. Right after my workout at 6 am until I go to bed at 8 or 9. Three meals and several snacks throughout the day.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times per day while breastfeeding, 4-5 when just losing. My husband can't eat at a deficit this way, and prefers to eat a light lunch, snack, and big dinner. It's whatever works for you and is easy to keep up with!
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 4 a day, breakfast, early lunch, late lunch & dinner. All are 3 hours apart. Very light snacks through out the day like grape tomatoes, cucumbers, celery stalks, etc.

3 weeks in and I feel great.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I found it easiest to break my meals up in 6 parts:

Pre-Workout (I work out fasted other than a pre-workout drink or coffee here)
    Breakfast (Usually high in fiber, less than 400 calories and includes a protein shake)
    Mid-Morning Snack (Usually somewhat high in protein if possible) again around 400 cals
    Lunch (high protein lunch) - Calories.. 400-600
    Dinner (Highest calorie meal of the day, 800ish typically, and yes, high protein)
    Late Snack/Other Snacks (After dinner/before bed, usually 350ish calories, finish out my fiber for the day if possible)

My TDEE with exercise is around 2600 a day at the moment so there's room for these to fluctuate.

I didn't do it this way because it made me lose weight, I did it to keep myself satiated throughout the day, and to keep from being too full from any one meal. I wanted my tendency to overeat to go away, and for the most part that's helped. There are still a few days where I have pizza or some other food I don't eat regularly and I'll eat over 1000 calories for dinner. On those days I simply either skip the late snack or make it smaller to finish out my calories for the day.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea, dinner, other stuff :) SO 5+
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    As many as it takes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    nutrient-timing-table_r4-01-1024x837.png