Anyone suffer with PMS?

Options
Hello, over the last few months I have been recording when I start to feel down and it is always the same day - one week before I am due on (I have a great app on my Android which tells me this!) I have read up on it and it does appear to be PMS so I have upped my exercise, started taking a mutivitamin once a day which has worked wonders on my nails, I'm drinking plenty of water but here I am, one week before and I feel miserable, even though just a couple of days ago I was fine. It's so frustrating because I know it's related to my hormones and not really how I feel but I want it to just go away and let me be normal.

I spoke to the doctor about it but she suggested I go on the Pill which I don't want to do having been on it for years previously so what other solutions are there? Has anyone had it and dealt with it without having to drastically change their diet?

Replies

• sasc278
    sasc278 Posts: 7
    Options
    Let me know if you find out anything in regards to that. I don't suffer from PMS (much), but I do have horribly debilitating cramps; I've tried a change of diet, exercise, and more pills than I can remember the name of. Nothing seems to have worked. They even performed surgery because they suspected endometriosis or cysts. Nothing.

Wish I could find a way out of this, it definitely sucks not being able to do anything and feeling like this!
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My cramps and moods have all but diminished since I started taking Evening Primrose Oil. It could be a psychosomatic response, but I'm not stopping them!
  • dgribb11
    dgribb11 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know how you feel...I have tried everything but always feel the same way at the same time.
    My doctor also suggested the pill and I am reluctant to start it.
    I have googled everything and the only thing I have seem to found that doesn't involve taking pills is upping exercise. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't :(
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, I suffer from it every month my wife does. LOL

I think you're on the right track with the vitamins. I good healthy diet may help too. Give it time.
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    My cramps and moods have all but diminished since I started taking Evening Primrose Oil. It could be a psychosomatic response, but I'm not stopping them!

Me too - I've been so much better since I've been on Evening Primrose Oil - I make sure I get the high strength tablets.....

I'd be interested as to which android app you have though? :smile:
  • califigureeight
    Options
    Most women have PMS, but I suffer from PMDD and I was on Yasmin for 2.5 years which controlled the symptoms. Unfortunately, I developed P.E. from cancer surgery and can no longer take the birth control.
  • califigureeight
    Options
    What app do you use?
  • DazednConfoosed
    Options
    Thank you for starting up this topic. I too suffer from PMS (yes I'm a guy) and I don't mean that as ridicule. My mom and sis go through PMS and my dad and I suffer from it. I know it is no joke. I personally suffer from BiPolar disorder so I know how difficult it is to go through a hormone imbalance on a frequent basis that affects my mood and energy and makes everyone around me suffer.

I obviously cannot know exactly what it's like, but, I feel for you and I feel for my family. I would be greatly appreciative to find out any remedies that did not involve medications that would help out.
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think you're right about time, I have only been healthy eating and exercising for about 3 weeks and I think it takes about 3 months to put right. Patience isn't one of my strong points though!

The app I use is called MyDays, it's free and is really useful as it predicts when you're due on and when you're fertile etc.

I have just taken an Evening Primrose Oil capsule, I had stopped taking them because I get a hit of it through my multivitamin but I think it would be a good idea to up my intake the week before.

Have a look at this article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A738696 - it seems interesting?
  • mamahix
    mamahix Posts: 14
    Options
    I was in the same situation . I wanted to have hystorectomy but Dr wouldn't let me .. sd I was too young. I started on Lybrel and only have 1 period a year now .. if that .. I LOVE it!! It is 1 pill a day, but the dose is low - keeps the mood swings and pain away!
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    fitnhealthyccthatsme Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think you're right about time, I have only been healthy eating and exercising for about 3 weeks and I think it takes about 3 months to put right. Patience isn't one of my strong points though!

The app I use is called MyDays, it's free and is really useful as it predicts when you're due on and when you're fertile etc.

I have just taken an Evening Primrose Oil capsule, I had stopped taking them because I get a hit of it through my multivitamin but I think it would be a good idea to up my intake the week before.

Have a look at this article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A738696 - it seems interesting?

Thanks so much for sharing the link to the article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A738696). I've heard lots about vitamins during PMS so it would probably be wise to be on them throughout the month and not just during PMS week. I had heard about Evening Primrose Oil, but never gave it much thought ... bet I will now! The part about being in a "temporary state of hormonally-induced idiocy" had me giggling because I relate so very well.

I'm not sure if it's the losing of the 13 pounds or if it's eating healthier or both, but I did notice a slight improvement in my physical PMS symptoms last month. Unfortunately the grumpiness was still there and I'll be trying out Internal Narration (and more specific prayers) when the next PMS session comes along.

Very good information & GO CHOCOLATE!!! :happy:
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    Downloaded! Thanks for that :smile: hope the EPO helps x
  • SunshineAndLove
    Options
    I was in the same situation . I wanted to have hystorectomy but Dr wouldn't let me .. sd I was too young. I started on Lybrel and only have 1 period a year now .. if that .. I LOVE it!! It is 1 pill a day, but the dose is low - keeps the mood swings and pain away!

Seriously?? I'd be really interested in that! No side affects?
  • SunshineAndLove
    Options
    Awww :( It's not available in the UK. Typical :sad:
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mine is better with Evening Primrose Oil and B-Complex vitamins. The emotional day is still there, but I'm more aware of it now and so just accept it as being what it is instead of fighting it....somehow knowing that it will pass as quickly as it arrived helps to me. I know on this day or two that I stay away from others, I take it easy and do what makes me feel good regardless of whether or not it is consuming too many calories, sitting on the couch and not exercising, or even just not cleaning up the house for one day.
  • mytemple76
    mytemple76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've resolved to pray and meditate more during this time as well. On my desk calendar at work I even have it marked as PMS: Pray Most Seriously. I figure if I'm going to go through the emotional dumps during this time I should spend it with the Lord and let Him help me work it out.